Anyone know anything about nb Grace?

Nige G

Featured Posts

I recently had a look at Grace at Whilton.

https://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/3619.aspx

It ticks all the boxes but I can't find it listed on the canalplan boat list.

Does anyone know if it had a different name or know anything of it's history?

Thanks smile.png

I had a look on there but couldn't find it either. Might be worth giving them a call and ask for the reg number for insurance quotes. May also be worth looking on Google images. I found lots of history on my boat through Google images.

Unfortunately every other boat seems to have this name, slight exaggeration but I know of at least 2 boats on this stretch of canal with the name Grace, so that may make it harder to search.

Looks like a tidy boat for its year with a lot of character! I would be concerned about those sliding windows though as they can be a burglar's friend.

Edited by Armitage Shanks

Looks like a tidy boat for its year with a lot of character! I would be concerned about those sliding windows though as they can be a burglar's friend.

The layout is exactly what we want and it didn't smell damp or neglected like the others we looked at.

The windows were one of the very few things we spotted that we didn't like. They look far too easy to break into. They'd be top of the list of things to replace but not a cheap job, even DIY.

Not sure if you were planning to have a survey, but as it is a fairly 'old' boat (over 25 years) then the insurers may (will) insist on it.

DO NOT use any surveyor recommended by Whilton - find and appoint your own surveyor.

Do Whilton own the boat, or, is it on brokerage (the answer makes a huge difference to your legal rights in the event of 'problems')

Don't ask the salesman, ask the engineers in the 'shed' at the far end of the marina - you may then get a truthful answer.

http://textlab.io/doc/1001911/sales-specification---virginia-currer-marine

Don't know if it's of interest. Different set of photos anyway.

Perhaps interestingly the index number 49316 listed there, (and which is in a correct range for a 1990 boat) also does not show up on the boat listing on CanalPlanAC

This would tend to suggest it has spent a fair period without a BW or CRT licence, although it is quite possible it now carries one.

That boat is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the link! I'm going to contact Whilton marina right now and make an offer.

just kidding..........

It is a nice looking boat, though!

Perhaps interestingly the index number 49316 listed there, (and which is in a correct range for a 1990 boat) also does not show up on the boat listing on CanalPlanAC

This would tend to suggest it has spent a fair period without a BW or CRT licence, although it is quite possible it now carries one.

IIRC, you can have your boat taken out of the listing

Richard

IIRC, you can have your boat taken out of the listing

Richard

I thought the outcome of a Thames boater getting the previous boat list website taken down was that it was eventually determined that you can't have your listing deleted.

I thought the outcome of a Thames boater getting the previous boat list website taken down was that it was eventually determined that you can't have your listing deleted.

We should ask Stephen

Richard

We used the surveyor who was at Whilton on the day we bought our boat from them last October with no problems (it was Craig Allen). The boat has turned

out to be every bit as good as it appeared to be, and Craig was spot-on.

We asked in the showroom if our boat was on brokerage or owned outright by them and they told us straightaway (they owned it).

If you get on with them as well as we did, you'll have no problems.

We actually had our lunch in the cafe there yesterday as it's a nice place to eat if you're nearby.

Incidentally, we asked them to take the boat out of the water for us (at our expense) so we could have a good look around the hull before we paid a deposit. We had already agreed the price subject to this being satisfactory.

They did this for us, and we then got Craig to survey the hull while it was on the slipway. Once we were all happy, we then paid our deposit. So if you ask them, there's no reason they won't do the same for you. I hope this is helpful.

Edited by Joe the plumber

We asked in the showroom if our boat was on brokerage or owned outright by them and they told us straightaway (they owned it).

Yes, in defense of Whilton, we also know somebody who has just put in an offer on a boat they have listed, and apparently they told him straight away that they owned the boat outright, rather than it being on brokerage.

So whether they have now fully sorted out this side of how they do business I'm not really sure, but both these examples at least go against the experiences of those who say Whilton have pretended to act as a broker on a boat, when they in fact own it outright.

3.5 years ago we also looked to buy a boat from there. We also had it pulled out and surveyed by Craig Allen who very quickly determined the hull was in bad shape and advised this would not b a wise choice of boat. He terminated the survey rather than complete the full survey on a boat we wouldn't end up buying and only charged us 50%. Whilton refunded our £1000 deposit.

We should ask Stephen

Richard

I've had one request to have a boat removed as he claimed I had no right to have it on the listing :

The information is incorrect and you do not have my permission to hold this data or to display it on the internet.

I replied that the information was obtained from the Navigation Authority under a freedom of information act and is public data obtainable by anyone and it contains NO personal data. Also that if it was incorrect then he needed to inform the appropriate Nav Auth

There were two situations involving the Boat Index when Jim had it :

Firstly a few years ago when the EA refused to give out boat names and it was ruled by the Information Commissioner that they must provide this information under the FOI and it is data that is basically in the Public Domain.

Then when his hosting company pulled his site due to letters from one boat owner Jim had to get solicitors involved before the site was restored.

One of the reasons I changed the "last registered" information was that I did not want people using the Boat Listing to see if boats were currently licensed.

Steve

Edited by StephenA

3.5 years ago we also looked to buy a boat from there. We also had it pulled out and surveyed by Craig Allen who very quickly determined the hull was in bad shape and advised this would not b a wise choice of boat. He terminated the survey rather than complete the full survey on a boat we wouldn't end up buying and only charged us 50%. Whilton refunded our £1000 deposit.

Craig Allen was my chosen surveyor, because he wasn't on the list the GHBS supplied!

He did a very thorough job, and had returned home mid survey to collect his manometer (which he had forgotten to bring with him).

The survey went well and then he knocked some money (£50 IIRC) of his fees for the inconvenience of having to wait whilst he got his manometer.

He also throws in a free BSS certificate whilst surveying (assuming the boat passes, rectification work will be extra).

He doesn't mind you being there whilst he surveys and his happy to explain the operation of things and his findings as he goes along.

All in all a decent and knowlwdable chap.

Looks like I made the right decision using Craig Allen to do the survey for me as well then from these responses. So far everything he said on the day has turned out to be correct. He even knocked £100 off his fee because he hadn't found any major issues and said it'd been a nice easy job for him. He's a good man!

The layout is exactly what we want and it didn't smell damp or neglected like the others we looked at.

The windows were one of the very few things we spotted that we didn't like. They look far too easy to break into. They'd be top of the list of things to replace but not a cheap job, even DIY.

This is my mod, a lift out bar.

Does two functions, stops the flap from being "banged" so it falls open and also stops the window from being slid sideways.