Short owner, too high tiller.

Bees Dream

Featured Posts

Hi, This is my first posting after reading a lot of posts over the past few months while waiting for my boat purchase to be completed. I have become the very happy owner of a 57ft semi trad NB.

Yesterday was my first time taking her out, managed to get out of the marina and wind so feeling a little more confident now :)

The only problem is that I am 5ft 2" and the tiller seems much higher than any I have used before on the hire boats. I have to hold it with my shoulder sort of hitched up, tried standing on a box but it restricts movement too much so now I am wondering if its possible to get a tiller lowered or buy a new one that is dropped down from the main part.

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

To be honest, this is an issue that your builder should have considered initially. The S shaped piece is usually known as a " swan's neck" with the removable extension as the tiller. It may be possible to remove the swan neck and heat it to re-shape it to a lower profile for you, it will depend in part how much clearance the tiller has over the cabin doors if trad style. Sadly, it will he'd repainting once re- bent. I'd discuss this with your builder, it's not really a d-I-y job. Good luck.

Dave

it will depend in part how much clearance the tiller has over the cabin doors if trad style.

OP says it is a semi-trad boat.

This "over high tiller" problem seems tro be common to many such boats of this type.

Sometimes it is because the builder has incorporated what I consider to be far too much upward sweep to the false cabin sides at the back, giving an effect I always think looks like the take off deck for an aircraft carrier!

Often though they are simply far higher than any of the cabin work or doors, although why the builders think they should do this, unless building for somebody of Nick Norman's height, I'm really not sure!

The odd thing is that I also consider many cruiser style boats have the tillers set ridiculously low!

We have a cruiser stern and had the tiller shortened to suit our stature - piece cut out and rewelded, making sure the clearance of rear locker was taken into account. Works perfectly for us.

• Greenie 1

There is another solution for this problem (LEGGO) Stick one coarse of Leggo all over your shoe soles and then plug and build more coarses upon them until the required height is attained and you can work the tiller at a comfortable height. Jumbling up the coloured bricks can look cool too. Adjustable platform soles.

This is a good method especially if you happen to have one leg shorter than the other, for the differing leg length is easily compensated by adjusting the number of Leggo brick coarses on each shoe to suit.

A particularly useful method too for if you do mountaineering or orienteering and prefer to walk around the sides of hills and mountains instead of up or down them, where the inside leg needs to be shorter than the outside leg. Leggo adjustment will keep you perpendicular and make the hobby much more comfortable. Hope this helps. closedeyes.gif

• Greenie 3

You can also get cranked down tiller bars, so the handle is lower.

Personally, when I find a tiller too high for comfort (waist level is best, I find, so the hand naturally falls onto the handle) I stand on a box.

I'm standing in the hatches to steer anyway, so it's not restrictive at all.

Thank you all for the replies, think the one with the Lego leg extensions would be my favourite! I will discuss this more with the boatyard guys where she is moored. I would stand in the hatch but then I can't see over the boat, the perils of being a little height challenged.

I really like the idea of the variable positions and maybe having two as suggested by ditchcrawler. At least there is a solution out there it seems :)

Oh and just to clarify, it was bought second hand and I didn't really notice how how the tiller was on the test run but after 6 hours on the tiller I did.

Our solution is a box with just 2 sides that is almost the full width between the lockers on our semitrad, I made it long enough so I can walk about on it without fear of falling off the end. Why just 2 sides ? so when out of use its turned over and you can walk right through it. I find the higher driving position helps sight along the side of the boat, especially useful in two way tunnels and entering locks.

Top Cat

Our solution is a box with just 2 sides that is almost the full width between the lockers on our semitrad, I made it long enough so I can walk about on it without fear of falling off the end. Why just 2 sides ? so when out of use its turned over and you can walk right through it. I find the higher driving position helps sight along the side of the boat, especially useful in two way tunnels and entering locks.

Top Cat

That's what I do for my grandson's fits inside the rear door.

Something like this but turn it through 180 degrees, obviously made to measure your requirements. The tiller needs to be short enough to avoid fouling the back of the cabin / doors.

LR%20Cranked%20Tiller%20Arm.jpg

ETA thank you Mark for the correction.

Edited by Ray T

Before you go spending money do a bit more cruising - you say you left the marina and winded so now feel a bit more confident ...

It's possible that you're currently holding the tiller in a bit of a death-grip whilst you get used to the boat and how she handles. The tillers are quite high on working boats, and I find a number of steering positions work: facing the tiller so it runs past you left to right /tight to left with a hand draped on it, tucked under one arm with hand in strategic pocket, tiller end in small of back to facilitate consumption of tea and bacon related comestibles, sitting in the hatch etc etc. All that said if it's so high it's up in your armpit, it's time to get physical with it.

• Greenie 1

Did you see me out yesterday Spam? The 'death grip' was in full operation! However if I tried to put the tiller end in the small of my back I would be in danger of decapitation as its is way higher than my lower back. Going back out again tomorrow so will try to loosen the grip and try again but think I will be looking at RayT's idea but in reverse.

180 degrees Ray?

Sorry, yes, Despite getting a Distinction in my City & Guilds Final for mathematics I'm still cr@p at that topic.

Wouldn't believe I have a Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence as well would you? blush.png

Must be brain fade.

Edited by Ray T

Must admit when we had a semitrad I found standing inside the rear rear doors quite uncomfortable. Now we have a trad I enjoy standing inside the doors as you can lean on the sides of the slide or even forward onto the slide.

...r if I tried to put the tiller end in the small of my back I would be in danger of decapitation as its is way higher than my lower back. Going back out again tomorrow so will try to loosen the grip and try again but think I will be looking at RayT's idea but in reverse.

Wear 6" heels? It might not solve the problem but would probably get you a lot of attention and blokes helping you in locks. smile.png

• Greenie 1

Enough helium balloons could be captured and tied to you, enough to cause you to levitate and hover at about an altitude of 7'' which should be enough for steering comfort.

An alternative is to train the steering arm into a permanent sort of upward cranked angle, it could be held there propped up with a stick until it freezes into that ideal position and also held in that position whilst in bed too, held above your head on the pillow with a heavy brick on it to keep it there. More and persistent waving at passing boats might also train the arm into the required permanent higher position required.

Another way would be to install a small trampolene at the steering position and to continually bounce up and down on it to look over the top.

Hate to be pedantic, but the Z-shaped bar the tiller goes on to is called the "Rams Head", a "Swans Neck" being a piece of decorative ropework, not much good for steering with!

Is it really that simple