Narrowboat on Tidal Thames This Morning

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Spotted this boat on way to work this morning at about 8.45am, if anyone knows who it is I have a few more not great (Taken on phone) pictures. Am surprised that they weren't stopped though, they appear to be well within Houses of Parliament the exclusion zone!

Tim

NB-L.jpg

Edited by Tim Lewis

I must have just missed it has had just passed under the clocktower at that time! Was running late thanks to joy of South West Trains, when I am away at sea I tend to forget how bad they are then when working again in the office it all comes flooding back.....

I think they are outside the zone actually.

One of the marker buoys is about a boat length behind the Nb and it does look to be further away than the boat.

(I zoomed in the picture). I think the yellow posts above the bridge are something else)

I think they are outside the zone actually.

One of the marker buoys is about a boat length behind the Nb and it does look to be further away than the boat.

(I zoomed in the picture). I think the yellow posts above the bridge are something else)

the Yellow Posts above the bridge mark the central arch of the bridge which the larger vessels use. When there is Spring tide they are a very good guide to show how fast the tide is flowing on the Thames!

I reckon one of the markers is behind the boat - so its OK.

The exclusion zone, except for trip boats departing the Westminster pier, is 70m , the NB in the picture is well within it!

We have been boarded by the Police a couple of times on the Tideway, it is an interesting experience. The Police issue the same Stop and Search notice as they issue on the street.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Someone, can't remember who, got boarded briefly by plod, plod slipped and fell off the boat.

Plod boat suddenly lost interest and had to practice their MOB routine. :)

Edited by Loddon

Not the best picture but is shows the buoys making the exclusion zone with the plod boat in the background.post-24996-0-51363200-1463470832_thumb.jpg

And The Westminster Gas Works (on account of all the hot air they generate) before the exclusion zone buoys. post-24996-0-68651600-1463471803_thumb.jpg

I took this photo last Friday from one of my boats. I still think the Nb in the original photo is outside the markers IMG_20160513_060934416_zpsnhz7ispe.jpg

(Photo time was 6.09am that's why the light is a bit poor. The marker buoy are visible around the old pile of stones on the right.

Not the best picture but is shows the buoys making the exclusion zone with the plod boat in the background.attachicon.gifWork Boat Westminster.JPG

And The Westminster Gas Works (on account of all the hot air they generate) before the exclusion zone buoys. attachicon.gifWestminster Gas Works.JPG

Are you sure that they are exclusion zone buoys? On my chart they are marked as warning buoys due to lack of depth (1.4 metres, which might explain the mud bank), the exclusion zone on the chart seems to run in line with the eastern edge of the second arch of Westminster bridge, pretty much where OP, Tim, said that it would be (70 metres).

ETA correction, my map was sideways, the eastern edge of second archwacko.png. I think that the narrow boat is in the exclusion zone

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

Fair enough - I assumed that the buoys marked the exclusion zone :unsure: not quite sure how one is supposed to know where it is if it's not.marked by buoys or similar objects visible from a boat. If it is in line with a bridge arch as suggested then maybe the boat is inside it (with no apparent way of knowing they are). Maybe I strayed into it too..

Just checked the area and my own GPS track on my Navionics app and yes the exclusion zone is apparently in line with the north bank side of arch no.2.

I was just outside it (by about 10 metres) and I would have to now say that the narrow boat on the op probably is inside it as it is an unmarked exclusion zone (marked on charts but not on the water)

Or so it would seem.

Edited by magnetman

Someone, can't remember who, got boarded briefly by plod, plod slipped and fell off the boat.

Plod boat suddenly lost interest and had to practice their MOB routine. smile.png

That was narrow boat Alnwick, owned by Graham, formerly of this forum.

I seem to recall they met the unfortunate copper afterwards, and that his colleagues were not letting him forget his little mishap!

Fair enough - I assumed that the buoys marked the exclusion zone unsure.pngnot quite sure how one is supposed to know where it is if it's not.marked by buoys or similar objects visible from a boat. If it is in line with a bridge arch as suggested then maybe the boat is inside it (with no apparent way of knowing they are). Maybe I strayed into it too..

Oh come on! the exclusion zone was obviously done by the same department (Parliament) who drafted the 1995 Waterways Act, "We'll tell you if in our judgement you have breached it", what more did you expect??rolleyes.gif

Plod boat suddenly lost interest and had to practice their MOB routine. smile.png

Policeman not falling off Fulbourne:

384%20Thames%20Tideway%2020th%20May%2020

Boarding Lotus:

385%20Thames%20Tideway%2020th%20May%2020

Outside the Palace of Westminster:

412%20Thames%20Tideway%2020th%20May%2020

Tim

heres the Notice to Mariners.

The chart clearly shows the exclusion zone. The Bouys are the 15mtr zone, nowt to do with shallows but like the trip wire in the Great Escape, the guards open fire if crossed

http://www.pla.co.uk/assets/p16-exclusionzones2013readablecharts.pdf

The Buoys denoting the 15m zone they weren't placed very well :-)

IMG_1635-XL.jpg

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis