Tool Box Growth

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

Is tool box growth a fact of boating and if so is it exponential.
When I bought my boat over 4 years ago I made up a small tool box from my garage at home to deal with odd jobs. As I spent more time aboard I transferred more tools and had to buy a larger toolbox. Now, after 2 years as a live aboard I have transferred the entire tool box to the boat. At this rate I'll be looking for a butty by 2020.

post-14518-0-66986900-1462888716_thumb.jpg

Edited by Martin Megson

Sort of other way round for me. Brought my 2 large tool boxes with us when we moved on board but they were for ever getting in the way. Didn't get rid of any tools but had to swop to a few smaller tool boxes that would store under the deck.

Mind you, have bought some more tools over the years. Have a 24inch stillson I go to do the exhaust that is too big for any of the boxes so just has to sit on top.

I now have.... 6 tool boxes. (Most frequently used tools; electrical tools and crimp connectors; Cutting tools; spanners; socket sets; angle grinder and bits with sandpaper) And large storage boxes containing power tools. And two drawers. And boxes of plumbing bits, screws, water pumps..........

I definitely need a butty

I have a workshop full at home. Resolute's back cabin is packed underneath the floor with tools, paint and spares and the counter area is little different. They are seldom used, but it's comforting to know that in the event of a problem arising, the tools and resources to fix it are readily to hand. My fathers old imperial socket set and spanners have found a new lease of life with the Kelvin.

Dave

When I bought my boat over 4 years ago I made up a small tool box from my garage at home to deal with odd jobs. As I spent more time aboard I transferred more tools and had to buy a larger toolbox. Now, after 2 years as a live aboard I have transferred the entire tool box to the boat. At this rate I'll be looking for a butty by 2020.

attachicon.gifBox.jpg

Buying a particular tool for a particular job is a virtual guarantee that you will never ever have to actually use it. Not buying one almost certainly means you will at some point wish you had bought one.

Buying a particular tool for a particular job is a virtual guarantee that you will never ever have to actually use it. Not buying one almost certainly means you will at some point wish you had bought one.

Rather like insurance, you hope you never need to use it, bit if you don't have it...........

Phil

My most used tool seems to be that thing that gets stones out of horses hooves. Seriously seem always to be reaching for the brawdle and bent paperclip.

Edited by mark99

I now have.... 6 tool boxes. (Most frequently used tools; electrical tools and crimp connectors; Cutting tools; spanners; socket sets; angle grinder and bits with sandpaper) And large storage boxes containing power tools. And two drawers. And boxes of plumbing bits, screws, water pumps..........

I definitely need a butty

Yep. And then you'll fill that too. I know this......

Recently I bought a cordless Bosch multi tool. Not cheap at £200 but a brilliant bit of kit, wish I'd done it long ago. From cutting through nails in garden fencing to removing bits of floorboard under a bath, it's superb.

Dave

Not tool boxes as such, but I have just bought some magnetic trays/racks/screwdriver holders whch I plan to try in the engine hole. Will (hopefully) stick to the metal boat wherever I put them and make stuff more accessible. I get mightily peed off digging through boxes etc when I want that 17mm spanner/socket. I find I only need certain stuff for the average engine service, so the idea is to make these readily available (I have had such ideas before and they rarely work!) Time will tell and if they are not up to the job I can use them as fridge magnets ;)

Edited by Guest

Our back cabin is basically a toolbox for the boat.

We have a set of shallow drawers on industrial ball bearing rollers, and two large draws beside, as well as a long thin toolbox built around the above-floor propshaft.

Full set of Metric, AF and Whitworth spanners and sockets, to name but two of the drawers. Taps, dies, feelers, shim set, micrometer, t-bars.

Daniel

Not tool boxes as such, but I have just bought some magnetic trays/racks/screwdriver holders whch I plan to try in the engine hole. Will (hopefully) stick to the metal boat wherever I put them and make stuff more accessible. I get mightily peed off digging through boxes etc when I want that 17mm spanner/socket. I find I only need certain stuff for the average engine service, so the idea is to make these readily available (I have had such ideas before and they rarely work!) Time will tell and if they are not up to the job I can use them as fridge magnets wink.png

Yes. This method works well. As you say, a good idea for tools you need all the time.

post-5123-0-53230000-1463752440_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifBox.jpg

I want one! Looks slightly narrower than a 'snap on' type. Where did you buy it from?

when we moved onboard ten years ago, most of the space under our bed was devoted to my clothes and shoes, now its mostly tools. Two new power tools and a wetvac this month and I've actually had to ebay more shoes to make room for them. If this trend continues I shall have to wear angle grinder discs instead of a bra. Yes they may chafe rather.

Edited by Lady Muck

when we moved onboard ten years ago, most of the space under our bed was devoted to my clothes and shoes, now its mostly tools. Two new power tools and a wetvac this month and I've actually had to ebay more shoes to make room for them. If this trend continues I shall have to wear angle grinder discs instead of a bra. Yes they may chafe rather.

A couple of wire cup brushes would recreate the Madonna look.

Yes. This method works well. As you say, a good idea for tools you need all the time.

Are those metric or imperial adjustable spanners? :P

Buying a replacement for a tool you are sure is irretrievably lost is a sure fire way to find the original...

Buying a replacement for a tool you are sure is irretrievably lost is a sure fire way to find the original...

Oh how true! Anyone need an 1 5/8', left handed.............Never used.

Ed 'cause of fat fingers.

Edited by Taslim

Oh soooo true...like the tool for unscrewing the pump out cover. We have the nice brass one I'm in charge of and the other two that Dave swears are "somewhere" on the boat frusty.gif

What I don't understand is how he manages to "loose or mislay" so much in such a confined space detective.gif