Pictures of Gailey wharf, locks, Round-house and ex Lockkeeper cottage

Horace42

Featured Posts

I am interested in the history of Gailey locks and wharf house etc. Any info of 50 years ago and earlier - of the lock-keepers cottage (it is a private house now) and the old round-house (it is a shop now).

It is also the base of JD Boats. But I don't know much more.

So old pics please would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Former base of Ernest Thomas (Walsall) hire fleet (photo shows "Thrush" at Calf Heath, this was a boat that ran out of Gailey). The Thomas story is complex and involves the change from working boats to pleasure craft. Otherwise just another BW wharf and maintenance location. Used to have a icebreaker moored up.

gallery_5000_522_337355.jpg

Former base of Ernest Thomas (Walsall) hire fleet (photo shows "Thrush" at Calf Heath, this was a boat that ran out of Gailey). The Thomas story is complex and involves the change from working boats to pleasure craft. Otherwise just another BW wharf and maintenance location. Used to have a icebreaker moored up.gallery_5000_522_337355.jpg

Nice looking boat, good lines for a canal craft

Richard

Would this, I wonder, be a severed former working boat?

Yes they all were at first, one came to be from the tug "Dot", others from "Severners" etc. Some survive today in private ownership.

I'd imagine that's a 'newbuild' because it has a nice sheer. Note, It is possible to build a 'cruiser stern' that actually looks nice!

It was built from a Severner hull with the top strake reduced in height.

But both correct.

I remember EAGLE being tied up below Cowley lock as a live-aboard in the early eighties. Very pretty boat.

If my memory is correct "Eagle" was the rebuild of the "Dot" tug.

Thanks to Laurence Hogg.for the pic and details. I was hoping to get some old pics of the lock keepers cottage at Gailey.

The local Viking boat hire fleet at Gailey now is now run by JD Boats together with their range of time-share boats. . Sadly the previous owner died a while ago - Jim Matthias - it is now run by his son and daughter (I think)

I'd imagine that's a 'newbuild' because it has a nice sheer. Note, It is possible to build a 'cruiser stern' that actually looks nice!

As far as I'm aware all ErnieThomas's early hire boats were " Modified" ex working craft ranging( a good few of which were wooden hulls ) from long distance boats to variations on the " cut & shut BCN Day Boats, some of the square transom "jobbies" were sharp at both ends & cut to size, most cabins were constructed of very nice wide planks possibly hardwood as they were often varnished & were very tidy many were powered by IIRC Dorman engines

As far as I'm aware all ErnieThomas's early hire boats were " Modified" ex working craft ranging( a good few of which were wooden hulls ) from long distance boats to variations on the " cut & shut BCN Day Boats, some of the square transom "jobbies" were sharp at both ends & cut to size, most cabins were constructed of very nice wide planks possibly hardwood as they were often varnished & were very tidy many were powered by IIRC Dorman engines

Although I believe that later ones were purpose built, using traditional wooden narrow boat building techniques, but using thinner planking.

There is a boat up the Macc in Ernest Thomas livery (or at least signwriting) called 'Dot No 2'. It's very trad looking 'Tug style' but I wouldn't have said it was old enough to be classed as 'historic'.

Is there any connection between it and the 'Dot' mentioned in this thread?

Dot is still about I think, Dot No 4 being the second one in Thomas' fleet from an FMC motor Apollo, she is now back as Apollo and a trip boat. The original Dot was for sale recently, being wooden she was in a parlous state so I dont know if she ever found a new owner. There is a thread on here somewhere started by Laurence.

eta. I dont think there is a physical link between the 'new' Dot you saw and the older ones, but it wouldnt be the first time Ive been wrong. biggrin.png

ETA again could be this one:- Dot 6 Built by D Harris Boatblds - Length : 18.3 metres ( 60 feet ) - Beam : 2.07 metres ( 6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft : 0.01 metres ( 0 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 999 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 45616 as a Powered Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Edited by AMModels

Dot is still about I think, Dot No 4 being the second one in Thomas' fleet from an FMC motor Apollo, she is now back as Apollo and a trip boat. The original Dot was for sale recently, being wooden she was in a parlous state so I dont know if she ever found a new owner. There is a thread on here somewhere started by Laurence.

Although APOLLO did become a tug with Ernest Thomas it was not renamed DOT No.4, as DOT No. 4 was a wooden hulled tug and is reported to have been rebuilt as the hire cruiser RAVEN captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

Am I correct in thinking that the lock keepers cottage is the brick house next to J.D. Boatbuilders.The painted house next to the round house was the wharf managers house(Recently sold by CaRT). Dr Langford suggests the round house may have been for a toll clerk and that the stables and a pub called The Plough were lost when the A5 was widened.The lock keeper would have been operational staff and the wharf manager may or may not have been a company employee.

Am I correct in thinking that the lock keepers cottage is the brick house next to J.D. Boatbuilders.The painted house next to the round house was the wharf managers house(Recently sold by CaRT). Dr Langford suggests the round house may have been for a toll clerk and that the stables and a pub called The Plough were lost when the A5 was widened.The lock keeper would have been operational staff and the wharf manager may or may not have been a company employee.

There is a house on the main A5 road alongside the lock. I guess that could have been the lock keepers house - but I don't know for sure. I have not heard of Dr.Langford - any info please.

Wharf House is private now as you said. But that was two (or maybe 3) small cottages knocked into one. Next to the house is a small building used as a CRT office. Opposite the house to one side is a large red brick building alongside the lock used partly as a CRT store that also houses the toilets. The round house is now a shop.

T.he comment about the pub and stables is interesting. I did not know that.

It would be nice if someone had a spare photo of the old cottages before becoming Wharf House and Wharf House before converted to a single private dwelling, and the pub and stables before road widening.

Thank you.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=75509for sale thread

http://allensregister.com/BCNS_Photo_Gallery11.php Apollo/Dot No4 source.

But all pictures back Petes assertion that Dot No4 was wooden.

Theres no question "Dot" No4 was wooden I have several good pictures of her in action. "The original "Birchills" was also wooden.

If you want information about the Staffs And Worcester Canal,then I suggest " Towpath Guide No !, Staffordshire and Worcester Canal by Dr.J.Ian Langford.0 900404 22 1. Sadly,Dr. Langford past away last year, Ebay may be the best way to get hold of a copy.Published in 1972 and long out of print. In the photo section,there is a photo of the round house.The photo clearly shows iron railings on the bridge and the end of a brick building.I think this may have been the stables.

If you want information about the Staffs And Worcester Canal,then I suggest " Towpath Guide No !, Staffordshire and Worcester Canal by Dr.J.Ian Langford.0 900404 22 1. Sadly,Dr. Langford past away last year, Ebay may be the best way to get hold of a copy.Published in 1972 and long out of print. In the photo section,there is a photo of the round house.The photo clearly shows iron railings on the bridge and the end of a brick building.I think this may have been the stables.

They still have a few copies at the Gailey shop. I bought one there 3 weeks ago.

Nebulae #22 and Richard West. #23.

Thanks for the book name. There are many on the Internet generally, but none on ebay in particular.

I will call in the round-house book shop next time I am over that way.

Thanks.

Nebulae #22 and Richard West. #23.

Thanks for the book name. There are many on the Internet generally, but none on ebay in particular.

I will call in the round-house book shop next time I am over that way.

Thanks.

The lady in the shop told us that she once met Dr Langford when he visited the shop.