Avon Ring from Tardebigge - advice

Daz555

Featured Posts

Hi all. Great site and useful forums - already finding lots of good info on here.

I have a quick question - re people's view on the "right" way to do the Avon Ring. We are picking up our boat from Anglo Welsh at Tardebigg on a Monday towards the end of July for a fortnights holiday - 4 adults (2 in their 40s and 2 who are 70) and 2 children (9 and 6).

We do not get our boat (after the handover) until 3pm so does this mean that going anticlockwise and tacking the Tardebigge flight on day one is simply not an option? Is it possible to start the flight and then stop (say halfway) for the night and finish it the next day?

The inlaws have been narrowboating before, but many years ago, and my wife and I are first timers although I do have some open water boat handling skills. I do like the idea of tackling the flight right at the start of our holiday and then having an easier run in, but would take advice on whether it is simply a non-starter for beginners.

Cheers for any advice.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I don't think that you can say there is a right way of doing it, but there are some factors to think about, here are some suggestions.

If you go clockwise

. you have an easy start and can get used to handling the boat before you need to do any locks.

. you would want to get at least as far a Shirley lift bridge for you fist night, once there you can basically stop anywhere.

. when you arrive it Straford, assuming you want to stay there overnight, you can stop in the basin if there is space, or drop down to the river if not

. the Avon locks are much easier to do down stream

. your last day is solid locks, so not easy to make up time

If you go anticlockwise

. you are straight into Tardebigge, which I believe you should be able to do on the first day, stopping at the Queen Head

. the Avon locks are a bit of a pig going upstream

. the last day (not including the morning you return the boat) you have a long run with no locks, so can catch time up if needed.

I don't think there is a very strong case for one way in preference.

We will be going up the Avon on the 27 June. I assume you are earlier then that week but if not, be aware it is Stratford River Festival on the weekend of 2nd & 3rd July, so mooring in Stratford is going to be difficult.

Personally I'd aim for doing the Avon downstream, and the Severn upstream, since the Avon leg is much longer than the Severn leg. I think you can do a bit from the Anglo Welsh base to a mooring at the base of the bulk of the locks - there was a thread on the very same, about a week ago (nicknorman).

Found it: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=83778

The pub is the Queen's Head, they did it the other direction but used that mooring as a convenient stopping point as its a pound long enough to moor, within the "extended" flight. The locks above this pub are too close together to offer anything but compromised mooring opportunities in its pounds.

You will not do Tardebigge in an evening starting at 3pm. Why not head north? Also that way you will come down the Avon, with the flow.

2 weeks for this route is more than enough time so plan some stops at places along the way.

Two of us did Tardebigge in 3.5 hours, so there's no reason why a bigger crew setting ahead couldn't get to the bottom in the first afternoon, especially in July.

Having said that, I'd rather do the Avon downstream, as the locks can be very fierce coming up.

If you go anticlockwise

. you are straight into Tardebigge, which I believe you should be able to do on the first day, stopping at the Queen Head

Maybe with a prompt getaway at 3.00, and an experienced crew who don't mind pushing on into the evening if necessary, but I really wouldn't recommend this for a largely novice crew. So clockwise looks better. Or you could head towards Cadburys World of Chocolate first, and pick up the ring later.

You will not do Tardebigge in an evening starting at 3pm. Why not head north? Also that way you will come down the Avon, with the flow.

2 weeks for this route is more than enough time so plan some stops at places along the way.

Couple of weeks ago we got to tardebigge top lock at 3pm and we were tied up at the bottom by the queens head by 5:35 pm. 4 crew but 2 were around 75. We are efficient though and I'm sure it will take a novice a fair bit longer, but then if the trip is mid summer there are long evenings if necessary.

All that said, personally I'd do it clockwise thus going downstream on the Avon.

Couple of weeks ago we got to tardebigge top lock at 3pm and we were tied up at the bottom by the queens head by 5:35 pm. 4 crew but 2 were around 75. We are efficient though and I'm sure it will take a novice a fair bit longer, but then if the trip is mid summer there are long evenings if necessary.

And quite possibly slow and inexperienced boaters going down in front of you, or coming the other way...

I'd say based on your experience, it would be daft to try and do Tardebigge locks the first part-day you receive the boat. 3pm - you can't be sure you'll pick the boat up then. Everyone wants their boat as soon as possible, and everyone on that canal will be going one or the other way! I've seen Anglo Welsh boats handed over at 5:30pm or so, on busy days.....(at a different base though). Some hire firms stagger the handovers through the afternoon and give each hirer a precise time though - worth checking. I think (can't remember) there's a couple of locks in between the hire base and the Queen's Head anyway, so an hour or two to get used to the boat and locks. If you had to do them all, it would be so much pressure and miserable towards the end of the first day....no time to make a cuppa, no time to unpack, etc etc then you're scrabbling around for a mooring possibly in the dark or in a minute lock pound....not brilliant when you are novices.

And quite possibly slow and inexperienced boaters going down in front of you, or coming the other way...

Possibly, but as a general point lock flights are quieter in the evenings. Everybody seems to tie up before 17:00!

As an aside when we were in Brum last week we took my sister for a night cruise around the Icknield loop and all through the centre at about 22:00. It was all very magical and reinforces how much fun night cruising is. But maybe not 30 locks at night though!

Excellent advice all, many thanks. I had not considered the relative flow of the two rivers we will be navigating on the ring and considering our novice status and the benefit of doing the Avon downstream, I'm sold on going clockwise.

I think (can't remember) there's a couple of locks in between the hire base and the Queen's Head anyway, so an hour or two to get used to the boat and locks. If you had to do them all, it would be so much pressure and miserable towards the end of the first day....no time to make a cuppa, no time to unpack, etc etc then you're scrabbling around for a mooring possibly in the dark or in a minute lock pound....not brilliant when you are novices.

He's hiring from Anglo Welsh, which is at the top of the locks -- I think you're thinking of Black Prince which is at the bottom and on a bit.

Maybe with a prompt getaway at 3.00, and an experienced crew who don't mind pushing on into the evening if necessary, but I really wouldn't recommend this for a largely novice crew. So clockwise looks better. Or you could head towards Cadburys World of Chocolate first, and pick up the ring later.

I was not really recommending that, just setting out that it is easily possible it the OP wants to go that way round.

Two of us did Tardebigge in 3.5 hours, so there's no reason why a bigger crew setting ahead couldn't get to the bottom in the first afternoon, especially in July.

Having said that, I'd rather do the Avon downstream, as the locks can be very fierce coming up.

Agreed its possible if no delays, but they need to be a well practiced team, not be still getting used to the boat and packing stuff away and be willing to work quite hard from the start.

I thought they wanted a holiday!

Edited to correct typo

Edited by jonesthenuke

From Anglo Welsh I would go clockwise especially if you have two weeks as you could come back up Tardebigge at a leisurely pace as you can easily have time in hand. Also if you are enjoying the Severn you could continue past Worcester and travel up the Droitwich Canal.

• Greenie 1

With a fortnight available I don't see why it is necessary to get as far as Shirley on the first night. That would be about four hours and about the same time it would take to get to the bottom of the Tardebigge flight. With young children early eating times may be required. The visitor moorings (and pub) at Hopwood are within two hours of Tardebigge and make a possible first night stop, then possibly Lapworth on the second night. Easy first locks to operate as well.

JP

• Greenie 1

Agreed its possible if no delays, but they need to be a well practiced team, not be still getting used to the boat and packing stuff away and be willing to work quite hard from the start.

I thought they wanted a holiday!

Edited to correct typo

Yes - a canal holiday. In Worcestershire. Where there's twice the number of locks than there is miles of canal and if you are not in a lock you are probably in a tunnel. And then there's the rivers too. I am sure they know this and want to get stuck in to some proper canal boating. Going clockwise it's likely day seven will involve 42 near consecutive locks.

JP

I wouldn't be too prescriptive. Getting away at 3.00pm could turn out to be a couple of hours later. Going down Tardebigge and arriving late evening at Stoke Pound might mean there's no space to moor left. Then what would you do? If heading clockwise then judge your first stop by when you actually set off and don't be too ambitious on the first day. Get used to the boat and take it easy. A sensible first stop would be Hopwood, but if you must go on, remember there's not too many options before Shirley Drawbridge. You could stop at Kings Norton junction at a pinch but it's not the best. Or opposite Lyons Boatyard in Kings Heath/Warstock.

Personally I'd stop at Hopwood then start early the next day for a quiet run through Wast Hill tunnel, see what time you get to Lapworth and either moor about 3 locks down on the longish pound, or by the Boot Inn around lock 13(?) or if you're still having fun, go right through the flight.

In two weeks you have loads of time. You could even head down the Severn and do the Gloucester and Sharpness in that time.

In my opinion, you've picked the best cruising ring in the country. Enjoy it.

Yes - a canal holiday. In Worcestershire. Where there's twice the number of locks than there is miles of canal and if you are not in a lock you are probably in a tunnel. And then there's the rivers too. I am sure they know this and want to get stuck in to some proper canal boating. Going clockwise it's likely day seven will involve 42 near consecutive locks.

JP

The halfway point is somewhere on the Avon surely? Where are these 42 locks?

I suspect, like me, Captain Pegg missed the fact that the OP had 2 weeks. With 2 weeks there is loads of spare time if you just do the ring.

I suspect, like me, Captain Pegg missed the fact that the OP had 2 weeks. With 2 weeks there is loads of spare time if you just do the ring.

Make that day 14. I overlooked it was two weeks even though that was my point in post #17. The 42 locks of course being Astwood, Stoke and Tardebigge flights although I guess they could be done over two days but they are much quicker than folk generally think they will be.

JP

Make that day 14. I overlooked it was two weeks even though that was my point in post #17. The 42 locks of course being Astwood, Stoke and Tardebigge flights although I guess they could be done over two days but they are much quicker than folk generally think they will be.

JP

I wouldn't fancy it JP, once my batteries are full I'm done, but I guess must needs for some schedules.

If the OP has time, I'd recommend stopping at the Queen's Head at Tardebigge bottom twixt Mon and Thu and doing their 2 for 1 pizza deal. He could also sneak down a pint or two of HPA to help while away the evening. The Queen's isn't everyone here's cup of tea being a bit 'upmarket' and hence a little pricey perhaps, but the food is good, the staff are invariably very nice, and it works like a proper pub too - I've sat in there with the dog and a couple of beers watching the rugby. They do pipe music outside, which may bother some, but it's never loud and goes off promptly at closing time. We spent 10 days there frozen in last winter though, so I do have the tee shirt! The issue for me there is the kennels opposite... woof, woof, bloomin' woof!! Grrr! ;)

I wouldn't fancy it JP, once my batteries are full I'm done, but I guess must needs for some schedules.

If the OP has time, I'd recommend stopping at the Queen's Head at Tardebigge bottom twixt Mon and Thu and doing their 2 for 1 pizza deal. He could also sneak down a pint or two of HPA to help while away the evening. The Queen's isn't everyone here's cup of tea being a bit 'upmarket' and hence a little pricey perhaps, but the food is good, the staff are invariably very nice, and it works like a proper pub too - I've sat in there with the dog and a couple of beers watching the rugby. They do pipe music outside, which may bother some, but it's never loud and goes off promptly at closing time. We spent 10 days there frozen in last winter though, so I do have the tee shirt! The issue for me there is the kennels opposite... woof, woof, bloomin' woof!! Grrr! ;)

2 for 1 pizza in an upmarket establish? An oxymoron if ever I saw one.

JP

In two weeks you have loads of time. You could even head down the Severn and do the Gloucester and Sharpness in that time.

In my opinion, you've picked the best cruising ring in the country. Enjoy it.

I did it as a young teen, with my family. One of the best holidays I have ever had.

We did Gloucester as well and I remember stopping at pretty much every town and having a wonder around, Doing it in two weeks allowed us to see everything.

Tardebigge was half way round for us, we moored at the bottom and the parents told us three kids we could have a full English at the top. We flew up.

Edited due to posting to early

Edited by thebfg