Avon Ring from Tardebigge - advice

Daz555

Featured Posts

If you find you have time at the end of the holiday you could pop down to Droitwich or even come up the Droitwich arm off the seven as an alternative to Diglis basin and the locks coming out of Worcester. If you want to try that check with the yard that you can get through the M5 brige/tunnel, it is low. Droitwich can be interesting to walk around, all the funny shaped buildings on the high street due to subsidence from the salt mines.

Possibly, but as a general point lock flights are quieter in the evenings. Everybody seems to tie up before 17:00!

As an aside when we were in Brum last week we took my sister for a night cruise around the Icknield loop and all through the centre at about 22:00. It was all very magical and reinforces how much fun night cruising is. But maybe not 30 locks at night though!

On a hire boat with 2 kids who are hungry and two grand parents who are knackered and a wife who is doing all the locks.

Again great information all. I got all I needed to know when people started talking pizza and beer!

With regards to the total number of locks towards the end of our 2 weeks I think we'll probably split them over to days, but we'll see closer to the time I guess.

Some recommendations from my neck of the woods:

Evesham - try and catch a film at the Regal Cinema. Absolute gem of a 1920's Art Deco cinema, recently restored. Comfy chairs & tables, bar, coffee shop. etc. Food & drink delivered to your table!

https://theregal.ac/

The park by the moorings in Evesham is officially an "alcohol free" zone. This seems to be mostly ignored by the Eastern European agricultural workers! Don't worry if there are a few in the park at night slurping a few tinnies - they are hamless and won't cause you any grief.

Pershore - good moorings, some good pubs, esp. the "Pickled Plum" - very decent Sunday lunch. "Brandy Cask" is yet to emerge from the 1970's, but has its own brewhouse. Good Thai food at "Thai Legends". Asda supermarket close to the VM's is a good place to stock up on provisions.

Tewkesbury - good choice of curry houses. The Rajshahi in the high street is my favourite. Very busy most of the time, so don't expect an intimate candle-lit dinner!

White Bear pub is very cheap and sells some lethal ciders if you like that sort of thing. Nottingham Arms for decent beer and reasonably priced pub grub.

Have a look round the Abbey while you're in town.

You will have a great time. We used to hire from Tardebigge with 2 boats, 6 adults and 18 9-11 year olds. 3 children were teamed with each adult and we'd set off down the locks straight away, by the time we stopped the children would have used plenty of the energy the trip had generated and were completely happy with how to lock.

I think your plan to go the other way is good but you might need to bear in mind that just sitting on a narrow boat maybe not so much fun for 6 & 9 year old. For our grandchildren we take plenty of games, colouring etc. I spy books are good. However ours like to be out doing things when possible.

• 5 weeks later...

You will have a great time. We used to hire from Tardebigge with 2 boats, 6 adults and 18 9-11 year olds. 3 children were teamed with each adult and we'd set off down the locks straight away, by the time we stopped the children would have used plenty of the energy the trip had generated and were completely happy with how to lock.

I think your plan to go the other way is good but you might need to bear in mind that just sitting on a narrow boat maybe not so much fun for 6 & 9 year old. For our grandchildren we take plenty of games, colouring etc. I spy books are good. However ours like to be out doing things when possible.

Yes - always got to keep the kids busy and we will certainly be bringing along plenty of activities - colouring, Lego, tablet etc. Our 2 kids love challenges so we will knock up some games as well like spotting different boats or animals on the route etc. We have 2 grandparents on board as well so 4 adults to keep 2 kids amused should be fine. Following advice from friends we are also bringing the kid's bikes - store them on the roof with a coversheet to protect the paintwork I'm told, but have agreement from the hire company that we can bring two folding Bromptons as well - this means that the kids can head off for bike rides with my wife and/or I and let the boat chug along with the remaining adults.

I certainly have no objection to mounting an early cycling search party for the next good pub and having a beer or three whilst we wait for the boat to catch up! It will also allow us to reach out further from wherever we happen to be moored without having to rely on being near a bus route etc.

Edited by Daz555

• 2 months later...

Well the trip wads a huge success and apart from the odd shower we got away with the weather as well - only spend about 3 hours in total having to wear waterproof jacket whilst driving the boat.

Highs.

The kids did not fall in the canal.

17 pubs visited in 14 days.

Cycling the towpaths with the kids.

Stratford upon Avon.

Tewkesbury

The River Avon - beautiful & very glad I took advice to take it downstream as it was a breeze - came across more than one boat who had had some trouble locking up - one family flooding the front of their boat.

Driving the boat through all the locks allowing my wife and father in law all the hard work.

The Tardebigge flight.

Lows.

River Servern from Tewkesbury to Worcester - zzzzzz.

Despite best efforts moving stuff around, the boat did not sit level in the water, slightly messing with my mild OCD for things being even and symmetrical. ;-)

Well the trip wads a huge success and apart from the odd shower we got away with the weather as well - only spend about 3 hours in total having to wear waterproof jacket whilst driving the boat.

Highs.

The kids did not fall in the canal.

17 pubs visited in 14 days.

Cycling the towpaths with the kids.

Stratford upon Avon.

Tewkesbury

The River Avon - beautiful & very glad I took advice to take it downstream as it was a breeze - came across more than one boat who had had some trouble locking up - one family flooding the front of their boat.

Driving the boat through all the locks allowing my wife and father in law all the hard work.

The Tardebigge flight.

Lows.

River Servern from Tewkesbury to Worcester - zzzzzz.

Despite best efforts moving stuff around, the boat did not sit level in the water, slightly messing with my mild OCD for things being even and symmetrical. ;-)

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

I rely on headphones and music to keep myself entertained between Tewkesbury and Worcester...

Sounds like you had a great trip. We are thinking of doing this route starting next week, was it easy to find overnight moorings on the river sections?

Ian.

There is little mooring on the Severn, but you don't need to stop on the Severn anyway. On the Avon with your licence you will get a leaflet that lists all the mooring locations and services on the Avon. There are enough to locations to stop.

There is little mooring on the Severn, but you don't need to stop on the Severn anyway. On the Avon with your licence you will get a leaflet that lists all the mooring locations and services on the Avon. There are enough to locations to stop.

Thanks John, we have no need to hurry, so just wondering where we maybe able to stop on the rivers.

Ian.

But if you do need to stop, many of the pubs between Worcester and Stourport have moorings.

But if you do need to stop, many of the pubs between Worcester and Stourport have moorings.

True, but doing the Avon ring they will only be going between Tewkesbury and Worcester on the Severn, so other than Upton I don't think there is really anywhere else to stop on that part is there.

True, but doing the Avon ring they will only be going between Tewkesbury and Worcester on the Severn, so other than Upton I don't think there is really anywhere else to stop on that part is there.

Ah.

You've spotted the flaw in my cunning plan...

• 7 years later...

We are having a boat from tardebigge for one week and hopefully intend to do the Avon ring. What are people's thoughts on that there are four active members on board that I used to doing lots of locks and covering distance. I know the topic has been covered but should we attempt the lock flight on the first day if we get away at a reasonable hour ? 

On 19/04/2016 at 17:36, Daz555 said:

Hi all. Great site and useful forums - already finding lots of good info on here.

I have a quick question - re people's view on the "right" way to do the Avon Ring. We are picking up our boat from Anglo Welsh at Tardebigg on a Monday towards the end of July for a fortnights holiday - 4 adults (2 in their 40s and 2 who are 70) and 2 children (9 and 6).

We do not get our boat (after the handover) until 3pm so does this mean that going anticlockwise and tacking the Tardebigge flight on day one is simply not an option? Is it possible to start the flight and then stop (say halfway) for the night and finish it the next day?

The inlaws have been narrowboating before, but many years ago, and my wife and I are first timers although I do have some open water boat handling skills. I do like the idea of tackling the flight right at the start of our holiday and then having an easier run in, but would take advice on whether it is simply a non-starter for beginners.

Cheers for any advice.

Was wanting similar advice for a 1 week hire 😬

The Avon Ring is definitely doable in a week. It’s easier or harder at different times of the year. When are you intending to do it?

Tardebigge only takes a few hours. 

52 minutes ago, Sue Taylor said:

We are having a boat from tardebigge for one week and hopefully intend to do the Avon ring. What are people's thoughts on that there are four active members on board that I used to doing lots of locks and covering distance. I know the topic has been covered but should we attempt the lock flight on the first day if we get away at a reasonable hour ? 

We -- also with four active lock-lovers on board -- got down Tardebigge (starting from Anglo-Welsh, which I guess you're doing?) on the first afternoon, in plenty of time for dinner at the Queen's Head.

Well that sounds good it could be doable if we leave early enough. Although we are going Easter Saturday so I'm not sure how busy it will be 😬

44 minutes ago, IanM said:

The Avon Ring is definitely doable in a week. It’s easier or harder at different times of the year. When are you intending to do it?

Tardebigge only takes a few hours. 

Easter Saturday start date !

12 minutes ago, Sue Taylor said:

Well that sounds good it could be doable if we leave early enough. Although we are going Easter Saturday so I'm not sure how busy it will be 😬

Easter Saturday start date !

Anglo-Welsh were helpful, we told them in advance that we were planning to go down Tardebigge (and were experienced so didn't need a long handover) and they helped us get away relatively early, about 2pm IIRC.

We did come up behind a slower boat so it took us about 4 hours, it would have taken 3 hours otherwise... 😉

Edited by IanD

7 minutes ago, Sue Taylor said:

All that could be interesting I may contact them and tell them that's what we're planning and see what they say..

. Did you contact the boatyard or anglo welsh directly

Thanks for your help so far sorry I saw that you said anglo welsh

IIRC I rang Anglo-Welsh at Tardebigge directly (0117 304 1122).