Security on board

Ray T

Featured Posts

Put the cable tie around the line where it is doubled back to the boat, i.e. on the bollard. Can also be used on a dolley or tee stud in this way.

I see. I usually take the rope right around the bollard at least once or twice anyway. Just looping it around the bollard and straight back to the boat seems far too easy to take off and almost asking for trouble - hence the cable tie I suppose!

Edited by Claude

Put the cable tie around the line where it is doubled back to the boat, i.e. on the bollard. Can also be used on a dolley or tee stud in this way.

This is a reet good idea in deterring the little darlings. However, t'other night when someone left a paddle partly open on the lock by the Commandery in Worcester and I found myself leaping out of bed in the wee small hours to find I was in an almost empty pound, I'd have been looking for snips instead of quickly loosening the lines. Doesn't make it a bad idea, but do keep something to cut them off with close at hand for emergencies.

This is a reet good idea in deterring the little darlings. However, t'other night when someone left a paddle partly open on the lock by the Commandery in Worcester and I found myself leaping out of bed in the wee small hours to find I was in an almost empty pound, I'd have been looking for snips instead of quickly loosening the lines. Doesn't make it a bad idea, but do keep something to cut them off with close at hand for emergencies.

Same if you use a chain and locks, make sure there is plenty of slack in it and the ropes hold the boat in.

For those who joked about my original post, from Warwickshire Police:

CW N&S Incidents on canals at Stockton, Consul Road, Rugby & Spon Lane, Grendon

Please be aware of the following incidents, which have occurred on canals across Warwickshire over recent days:

Incident 270 of 6 April - Between 2 and 3pm on 6 April, offenders broke into a houseboat moored on the canal at Stockton Road, Stockton after smashing the padlock off the door. Once inside, the offenders stole a camera and a laptop computer.

Incident 96 of 18 April - Between 5pm on 15 and 10am on 18 April, offenders stole 16 - 20 flowgass bottles, containing gas, from a cage at a Crusing Holidays business on the canal at Consul Road, Rugby.

Incident 149 of 21 April - Between 27 March and 17 April, offenders forced open a side hatch on a narrowboat moored at Spon Lane, Grendon. Severe damage was caused to the hatch and to the bolts inside. It is not clear if anything was stolen.

If you have information which you believe may be connected to any of these incidents, please contact Police on 101. Please also remain alert, on the lookout for suspicious persons or activity on or around the canal network and please report anything of concern, to Police, on 101.

Thank you

Julie Dale
Warwickshire Police

I'm sure the owners of these boats don't see any funny side.

Edited by Ray T

On the alarm front following on from someone coming on an occupied boat, we have a domestic type alarm and I have programmed it to give a "door chime" when ever a door is opened. wont disturbed anyone else, but if we are sitting in the louge at the front end of the boat we would be aware of someone opening the stern doors.

Please be aware of the following incidents, which have occurred on canals across Warwickshire over recent days:

Incident 270 of 6 April - Between 2 and 3pm on 6 April, offenders broke into a houseboat moored on the canal at Stockton Road, Stockton after smashing the padlock off the door. Once inside, the offenders stole a camera and a laptop computer.

Incident 96 of 18 April - Between 5pm on 15 and 10am on 18 April, offenders stole 16 - 20 flowgass bottles, containing gas, from a cage at a Crusing Holidays business on the canal at Consul Road, Rugby.

Incident 149 of 21 April - Between 27 March and 17 April, offenders forced open a side hatch on a narrowboat moored at Spon Lane, Grendon. Severe damage was caused to the hatch and to the bolts inside. It is not clear if anything was stolen.

If you have information which you believe may be connected to any of these incidents, please contact Police on 101. Please also remain alert, on the lookout for suspicious persons or activity on or around the canal network and please report anything of concern, to Police, on 101.

Thank you

Julie Dale

Warwickshire Police

The boat moored at spon lane had its side hatch forced open which was canal side and as its a private off side mooring we suspect it was a boat, nothing much was taken just wine and some food

Leaving a radio on is a good idea too.

If we go out during the day we quite often leave the engine running. It recharges our batteries, and no one will think that an unoccupied boat will have its engine running, so it's a good safety feature.

The boat moored at spon lane had its side hatch forced open which was canal side and as its a private off side mooring we suspect it was a boat, nothing much was taken just wine and some food

I feel that it is not so much the fact that items have been stolen, as they can be replaced. But that someone who cares not has invaded and violated what is your property and this leaves uncertainty and a feeling of vulnerability.

I speak from experience here as many years ago when on a hire cruisers on the Rochdale and Calder & Hebble we had stuff nicked and a bloke board our boat uninvited.

Edited by Ray T

If we go out during the day we quite often leave the engine running. It recharges our batteries, and no one will think that an unoccupied boat will have its engine running, so it's a good safety feature.

Glad we never moored near you. I would have been knocking on your door to ask if everything was OK.

Thank you

Julie Dale

Warwickshire Police

Ok, no more joking on the forum everyone!

I think we've all had stuff nicked and some of us have had our boats broken into - I'm sure we all appreciate the advice but lighten up a little.

Edited by Claude

I feel that it is not so much the fact that items have been stolen, as they can be replaced. But that someone who cares not has invaded and violated what is your property and this leaves uncertainty and a feeling of vulnerability.

I speak from experience here as many years ago when on a hire cruisers on the Rochdale and Calder & Hebble we had stuff nicked and a bloke board our boat uninvited.

Tbh I didn't comment on that I was just offering a bit of background info on the boat I know about.

I agree with what you say

Glad we never moored near you. I would have been knocking on your door to ask if everything was OK.

That's most thoughtful, but why? We don't leave it running overnight, just if we're going out for a walk or a trip to the shops.

Ok, no more joking on the forum everyone!

I think we've all had stuff nicked and some of us have had our boats broken into - I'm sure we all appreciate the advice but lighten up a little.

We were perhaps lucky: Trojan was broken into (through an engine-room door) but nothing at all was taken. It affected us so deeply that, until I read this thread, I had completely forgotten about the incident.

We use one of those fake TV devices

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dummy-Home-Security-Fake-TV-LED-Safety-Light-Simulator-Deter-Burglars-Theves-/221952403899?hash=item33ad64e9bb:g:tbkAAOSwoydWk3O4

You can either set it to come on straight away or for when it gets dark. They really do look from outside the boat as if somebody is inside watching the telly.

Obviously no good when you're out in the daytime though, but if we're moored up for the night and go to a pub they're an excellent deterrent IMO.