More fodder for the forum curmudgeons.... Tip your hat, say hello and smile...

Featured Posts

I make a point of saying hello to everyone I see; literally. Including cyclists, anglists, hire boatists...

...and I particularly like to salute the animals; except swans of course.

There is nothing old-fashioned about manners as the article suggests there is. I don't buy that there was a time when everyone on the street (or towpath) was unfailingly polite to one another.

But if I find a sign telling me I must be polite I would mentally flick the 'Vs' at it (at the very least)

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

while walking the canal - i find most boaters that pass by say hello, to be honest its the fishermen that usually ignore me apparantly fish only take the bait if your quiet :captain:

if you say hi to an angler, it is he who takes the bait.
  • Greenie 1

We are prone to say hello to everyone we pass.

One of my nephews (from Cambridge area) called us the "mad northern folk" because of this propensity.

I must admit that in some parts of this sceptred isle, people look at you quite alarmed, as if you've just demanded there wallet!

Never the less, we continue with this behaviour because it makes us feel good.

Those that choose to ignore us are the losers in my view.

I cannot be overly critical of any action that seeks to encourage people to be more friendly and welcoming.

Rog

When walking the dogs in our local woodland park I find about 50% of other walkers make eye contact and we exchange greetings. However I make a point of saying good morning to the other 50%, usually a bit later than they would expect. This often takes them by surprise, particularly if they have just overtaken me and I say it to their backs. Some interesting reactions ranging from a somewhat apologetic return of the greeting to totally ignoring the greeting, which is literally ignorant.

Observing people's reaction to what I consider to be plain good manners brightens up the morning, especially when it is grey and windy. cool.png

I'm just a grumpy old tosspot and don't like the human race much. Does that make me racist?

no. but if you didn't like dogs much you would definitely be racist. rolleyes.gif

particularly if they have just overtaken me and I say it to their backs. Some interesting reactions ranging from a somewhat apologetic return of the greeting to totally ignoring the greeting, which is literally ignorant.

no. but if you didn't like dogs much you would definitely be racist. rolleyes.gif

I must be ignorant then, as I would assume a good morning not addressed to my face was aimed at the face of somebody behind me that I hadn't noticed. I'm not in the bit of talking to people's back and don't expect to come across others who make a habit of it. Sorry if you ever speak to me after I have passed I will assume you aren't speaking to me.

I am also by your definition a racist.

• Greenie 1

Its sort of sad people need reminding just to be polite and nice to each other. However as it appears you do, both on the forum and the towpath, you have to give it to them for trying! I presume the slightly damp hardboard is a short-term thing because the proper signs didnt turn up in time for the video?

#sharethespace ;)

Daniel

Its sort of sad people need reminding just to be polite and nice to each other. However as it appears you do, both on the forum and the towpath, you have to give it to them for trying! I presume the slightly damp hardboard is a short-term thing because the proper signs didnt turn up in time for the video?

#sharethespace wink.png

Daniel

I've heard that you just do NOT make eye contact with strangers in London.

In Yorkshire, you can't get your shopping done without having to gasbag about the weather every ten minutes!