Advice for the Nene Please

dekker

Featured Posts

Planning to revisit the Nene in July. Not been for a few years so would like to know of any changes or issues since 5 years ago. I know there is a new marina in Northampton.

Last time we met a boater who had a little handle adaptor for the non electric locks so I would like to know how to acquire or make a similar aid.

Regards

Dekker

Bit of hand width round bar with an M6 thread about 10mm long will do you. There are holes in the wheel ideally suited to this ;)

Look here for navigation advice from the EA

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/anglian-waterways-closures-and-restrictions

ETA, you need to nip a nut up on your handle, the holes in the wheel are not tapped.

Edited by gazza

Bit of hand width round bar with an M6 thread about 10mm long will do you. There are holes in the wheel ideally suited to this ;)

Wish I had seen this yesterday- only just made a overly complicated clamp complete with spindle that takes my windlass :-D

ETA, you need to nip a nut up on your handle, the holes in the wheel are not tapped.

You don't need an adaptor. There are 4/5 locks with large, smooth handwheels to raise and lower the guillotine gate. Putting a clamp with a handle on the rim, or a handle through the hole, makes them easier to turn, but works fine without.

An old screwdriver put through the hole works well too.

It's certainly worth joining the Friends of the River Nene group, because that will about double the moorings available to you.

The Nene is about 24 hours of boating from one end to the other, so you can divide that up as you see fit. We normally do two days, but it's more relaxing over three or four!

You don't need an adaptor. There are 4/5 locks with large, smooth handwheels to raise and lower the guillotine gate. Putting a clamp with a handle on the rim, or a handle through the hole, makes them easier to turn, but works fine without.

It's certainly worth joining the Friends of the River Nene group, because that will about double the moorings available to you.

The Nene is about 24 hours of boating from one end to the other, so you can divide that up as you see fit. We normally do two days, but it's more relaxing over three or four!

Thanks. So Northampton to the Wash can be done in only 2 days? I thought it was longer than that?

Are the new moorings only available to FOTRN, then, like GOBA moorings? All power to them, but I thought they welcomed all>

Thanks. So Northampton to the Wash can be done in only 2 days? I thought it was longer than that?

You could, doing say Northampton to Thrapston the first day (12-13 hours boating) and then Thrapston- Dog in a Doublet the following day (13 hours or so).

But if there's no hurry, I'd do it in four- the Nene is a beautiful river, with many lovely places to see on the way, it would be a shame to hurry through if you were only going through once.

Are the new moorings only available to FOTRN, then, like GOBA moorings? All power to them, but I thought they welcomed all>

I think they're members only. Membership is only a tenner for the year, though.

No, Northampton to Peterborough is two days.

Peterborough to the wash requires a tidal passage from the dog to wisbech then on out to the wash..

No, Northampton to Peterborough is two days.

Peterborough to the wash requires a tidal passage from the dog to wisbech then on out to the wash..

Agreed, I don't bother now, I have a modified g clamp to speed things up but never use.

We tend to only do shorter days now little un is here so a few minutes saved at 3 locks downstream of MNCC makes no odds.

The same principle as the steering wheel of a traction engine, I would guess.

Agreed, I don't bother now, I have a modified g clamp to speed things up but never use.

We tend to only do shorter days now little un is here so a few minutes saved at 3 locks downstream of MNCC makes no odds.

We followed a chap who had a device, he spent longer fitting and remove to the wheel than it took me to work the lock

A cork to hold the up down button in was more use, otherwise your finger aches

Hmm, we've made it from Peterborough to Elton in two days.......

MP.

That's 'cos you're retired CCer types :P

We followed a chap who had a device, he spent longer fitting and remove to the wheel than it took me to work the lock

You can also use a mini pair of mole grips, clipped onto the rim of the button when pushed in.

I think for a period the rather fine moorings above Cogenhoe lock were closed, due to abuse. But I have read earlier postings suggesting that the farmer is happy with sensible overnight stays.

I have wondered about a device to go in my battery drill to turn the big wheels, but decided the exercise is good for the crew.

I think for a period the rather fine moorings above Cogenhoe lock were closed, due to abuse. But I have read earlier postings suggesting that the farmer is happy with sensible overnight stays.

I have wondered about a device to go in my battery drill to turn the big wheels, but decided the exercise is good for the crew.

Yes, you are right, the piss takers are long gone and we are back to normal at Cogenhoe.

Hmm, we've made it from Peterborough to Elton in two days.......

MP.

I've had my cruising habits changed from a days cruise from MNCC to PYC to 2.5 - 3 days, two demanding females in my life mean the path of least resistance is the best one to take!

My g clamp has a nice coarse square thread so winds on and off quick, but as SWMBO calls the shots I can't see any point in using it anymore.

Much better bet to stand on the gate as it descends into the chamber - although my 70 odd kg's isn't a massive amount extra :)

Wish I had seen this yesterday- only just made a overly complicated clamp complete with spindle that takes my windlass :-D

Back to the drawing board :)

Do you keep one at each club?

No, The Mayland is doing sterling service for the old man as a day boat up on the broads.

The E27 keeps me plenty busy so it makes sense to keep her at MNCC closer to home while my work life balance is tipped the wrong way :(

I would dearly love to join at PYC but the sun and planets dont seem to line up and make that happen at the mo.

Hi,

The Nene is an excellent river to visit and would make a good base.

Lovely scenery and many locks now automated, we sometimes tied the back end onto lock landings, mooring in the evening and were off early, other boaters were welcome to tie alongside but we never saw another boat. Other times we anchored.

The warm welcome we got from PYC is remembered and Fotheringhay is a good mooring...........

Treat it with respect though and watch out for heavy rain fall in the Midlands as the run off affects levels.

Really good, have visited it twice and wold come again.

L.