Hello, think we might be starting on our dream - have a few questions

sjadja

Featured Posts

Hello everyone and thanks for reading

we have always wanted to live on a narrow boat (family 2a and 2c) we might be taking the plunge with a 70ft boat currently a wreck and no engine - just waiting on engine fitting quotes really.

Anyway I was wondering how much of the network we could do with such a long boat? (ideally we need a long boat to create the space needed for us for a comfy home) I know most of Yorkshire will be out and some of the LL, but I am more concerned about East Anglia - having family near Isleham and Ely would she be too long to use in this area? I have googled searched but cant find much?

We would be in Somerset for a few years with work so not moving about much, but then from then on would like to be based in Isleham and cruise from there - depending on leave from work which could be long periods we could explore lots of the network.

Ideally my dream boat doesn't exist: use on canals, boards and take up to the Caledonian canal, and forth/clyde so just have to go for what we can really

Anyway, any tips would be welcome

thank you, Sharon

A 70 narrow boat will easily travel everywhere in the South East West and Midlands. There's definitely no difficulty in reaching Isleham and Ely from the rest of the system via the Nene and the Middle Level to the Ouse.

There is only two very minor problems, you can only get through Salters Lode on a level tide. Depending on how much water your boat draws at the stren you may have to lock down from the Nene to the Middle Level backwards. Both very minor and nothing to worry about.

There is only two very minor problems, you can only get through Salters Lode on a level tide. Depending on how much water your boat draws at the stren you may have to lock down from the Nene to the Middle Level backwards. Both very minor and nothing to worry about.

They're not problems, they're just interesting features of the journey (as is Briggate Bend which Canalplan says can't be done with a 70 footer but is perfectly ok as long as it's a narrow boat)

Hello everyone and thanks for reading

we have always wanted to live on a narrow boat (family 2a and 2c) we might be taking the plunge with a 70ft boat currently a wreck and no engine - just waiting on engine fitting quotes really.

Welcome to the forum!

But seriously, I feel driven to interject RIGHT THERE.

If you are 'getting people in' to get a basket case up and running you're going to virtually bankrupt yourselves. Far better financial sense to buy a boat that is in good running order in the first place. Honestly, it WILL be cheaper. Far cheaper than a newbie can possibly believe! Why else do you think the seller of the wreck is selling it rather than doing the work himself?

(Edit to add the missing worm!)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Hi and welcome along Sharon, got a sneaky feeling this http://bristol.boatshed.com/narrowboat_70ft-boat-216402.htmlis the one you could be looking at video here http://youtu.be/nOrwIUWRl0I if so its not been loved for a while, but if the hull is ok it could be made into something homely. Well done on getting some quotes in before taking the plunge that way you can see whether MTB is on the money! Or not.

Good luck what ever even if my hunch is wrong.

Ade

Edited by Mendip-Locks

Welcome to the forum!

But seriously, I feel driven to interject RIGHT THERE.

If you are 'getting people in' to get a basket case up and running you're going to virtually bankrupt yourselves. Far better financial sense to buy a boat that is in good running order in the first place. Honestly, it WILL be cheaper. Far cheaper than a newbie can possibly believe! Why else do you think the seller of the wreck is selling it rather than doing the work himself?

(Edit to add the missing worm!)

Have to agree. 'Project' boats only make sense for people who can do 95% of the work themselves.

Well if it is the one in that advert and video, I hope you either have huge amounts of relevant experience or, alternatively, huge amounts of surplus cash, (and very preferably both of these things!).

If you don't have either of these my strong advice would be don't......... Just DON'T! If you had only one of those things my advice would probably not change........

Sorry, but if you have no idea what you are getting in to, this could be a very bad idea indeed.

(If it is not that boat, ignore my post!)

I have to echo what other people are saying: you should only consider buying a wreck, especially a wreck of that size, if (1) you positively relish the challenge of fixing it up and (2) you have either a huge amount of money, or a huge amount of time and skill to invest in it. One way or another it will be a massive undertaking, and you wouldn't believe how costs pile up and/or how jobs that you expected to take X months are still not finished after Y years.

(I assume that boat in the mentioned ad is not the one you're looking at, incidentally, as the description suggests it's not suitable for cruising at all and should be considered a static houseboat.)

If that is the boat you are looking at, please stay well clear, just the work to install the new engine could set you back 12k+, Have you considered where you will be doing all the work and how you are going to get it there ?. If It was me, I would be looking at being paid to take the boat away either as scrap or for a very long restoration project.that I would hemorrhage money on.

She says no engine, but that one in the link has an engine?

Unless she means no working engine..

It does, I think, intimate that the Mercedes engine has gone phut! in spectacular fashion. I infer that it's beyond repair.

Hi everyone,

Just to say thank you for all your replies, it is indeed that unloved boat you have linked and with the you tube video. Sorry for confusion I put no engine since the one that is in there is nothing more then a large paper weight.

The boat had an offer on it so its out of our hands anyway but I take on your advice and am thinking perhaps its best to wait a year or 2 and find something that is in better repair, a £10000 budget now would be £30000 in 2 years time so perhaps its better to wait, although I dont think £30k would get us much of a 70ft boat sadly, we just want to get on with our dream - bloody money (or lack of) always getting in the way!

Having been on 70ft boats, we certainly need the length as ideally would have a double at the front, followed by a shower/heads and 2 small bedrooms to galley/living/dining at the back or aft as my navy husband would say captain.gif in my heart of hearts a widebeam would be better to live on while we have children but then I understand we cant get into Ely/Isleham area - Plus there are more expensive to buy.

There is no way to get to the Norfolk boards is there?

I like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/58-narrow-boat-Warspite-liveaboard-canal-boat-narrowboat-/172150602473?hash=item2814f9bae9:g:Uy8AAOSwUuFW1Zp0

but its too small and we cant afford it yet, but its cool it was a submarine style navy canal boat considering hubby is a submariner in the RN

Thanks for your advice, money certainly isnt plentiful, so perhaps waiting for a smaller project is better, working engine/electrics/plumbing etc but we are happy to take on painting/wood work/blacking etc

Thanks for your advice and look forward to reading and learning more

Sharon

• Greenie 1

I put no engine since the one that is in there is nothing more then a large paper weight.

Have a greeno for that.

A green point, or greenie, or greeno, is like a merit mark or star when you were at school. It shows that someone likes your post for whatever reason - it could be for content, a sentiment expressed, a piece of historical or technical information or, as here, a pleasing bit of humour. They don't really do you much good and there are no end-of-term prizes, but one can feel a certain smugness after getting one.

Why not look for a broader boat to buy in the East Anglian area? You could cruise as far as Bedford one way, through the Middle Level, up the Nene as far as Northampton (I think).

• Greenie 1

In general £30,000 is sort of money that should (just) get you a decent boat, though prices do appear surprisingly high at present.

Quite a few forum members appear to get good boats for much less than that but they are either lucky or have the skill and experience to spot a bargain.

Shorter boats are cheaper, but a 70 might cost no more, or even a bit less than a 57 because the majority of purchasers don't want anything bigger than about 57.

...............Dave

In general £30,000 is sort of money that should (just) get you a decent boat, though prices do appear surprisingly high at present.

Quite a few forum members appear to get good boats for much less than that but they are either lucky or have the skill and experience to spot a bargain.

Shorter boats are cheaper, but a 70 might cost no more, or even a bit less than a 57 because the majority of purchasers don't want anything bigger than about 57.

...............Dave

I agree with Dave above.

I'd also say that although demand is high for boats in the 50-60ft range, the market for 70ft boats is surprisingly limited. Few people see the need for a leisure boat that long so they tend to stick on the market. I'd have thought you could get a 70ft boat FAR better than this example for £10k or a bit more, albeit still a 'project' boat. And if you are patient anc canny, I'd say £30k should buy you a better 70ft boat than the same money spent on the ever popular 57ft as you'll have less (or no) competition from other buyers.

ABNB usually only sell "top notch" boats and are a much respected broker. Have a look at their site. They have just sold a 70 footer (Ashwood) for £38,000. Its a little long in the tooth (1987) but looks very smart, so if you don't mind doing a bit of work yourself 30,000 should get a decent 70 footer.

............Dave

Hi everyone,

Just to say thank you for all your replies, it is indeed that unloved boat you have linked and with the you tube video. Sorry for confusion I put no engine since the one that is in there is nothing more then a large paper weight.

The boat had an offer on it so its out of our hands anyway but I take on your advice and am thinking perhaps its best to wait a year or 2 and find something that is in better repair, a £10000 budget now would be £30000 in 2 years time so perhaps its better to wait, although I dont think £30k would get us much of a 70ft boat sadly, we just want to get on with our dream - bloody money (or lack of) always getting in the way!

Having been on 70ft boats, we certainly need the length as ideally would have a double at the front, followed by a shower/heads and 2 small bedrooms to galley/living/dining at the back or aft as my navy husband would say captain.gif in my heart of hearts a widebeam would be better to live on while we have children but then I understand we cant get into Ely/Isleham area - Plus there are more expensive to buy.

There is no way to get to the Norfolk boards is there?

I like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/58-narrow-boat-Warspite-liveaboard-canal-boat-narrowboat-/172150602473?hash=item2814f9bae9:g:Uy8AAOSwUuFW1Zp0

but its too small and we cant afford it yet, but its cool it was a submarine style navy canal boat considering hubby is a submariner in the RN

Thanks for your advice, money certainly isnt plentiful, so perhaps waiting for a smaller project is better, working engine/electrics/plumbing etc but we are happy to take on painting/wood work/blacking etc

Thanks for your advice and look forward to reading and learning more

Sharon

If you try to get to the Broads then this may happen to you.

The serious answer is that there is no link between the Fens and the Broads. There were plans in C18th I think to build one - would have been quite easy in engineering terms as the Little Ouse and Waveney rise in the same field in Suffolk I believe (link).

Loads of wide boats on the Fens though some of the locks are not as wide as others. Here's the lock at Isleham which is one of the bigger ones...

dscf6693.jpg

I agree with Dave above.

I'd also say that although demand is high for boats in the 50-60ft range, the market for 70ft boats is surprisingly limited. Few people see the need for a leisure boat that long so they tend to stick on the market. I'd have thought you could get a 70ft boat FAR better than this example for £10k or a bit more, albeit still a 'project' boat. And if you are patient anc canny, I'd say £30k should buy you a better 70ft boat than the same money spent on the ever popular 57ft as you'll have less (or no) competition from other buyers.

Thank you for that, positive we could afford one soonish then, I must admit that makes sense - I havent seen many 70ft boats about

If you try to get to the Broads then this may happen to you.

The serious answer is that there is no link between the Fens and the Broads. There were plans in C18th I think to build one - would have been quite easy in engineering terms as the Little Ouse and Waveney rise in the same field in Suffolk I believe (link).

Loads of wide boats on the Fens though some of the locks are not as wide as others. Here's the lock at Isleham which is one of the bigger ones...

dscf6693.jpg

ooooooo love that photo my home patch :-) sadly I didnt get into canals until I left so dont know the waterways well around there (dont plenty of canoeing and fishing around the lark and isleham but thats it)

Yes I had read about people crossing the wash from Boston to get into the east Anglia waterways but going to the boards this way would mean going out the wash and all the way to Gt Yarmouth surely? and that would be utter madness.

Really I think the boat we would like doesn't exist, need the length to live on it, or width but then you lose the ability to navigate a lot of places and would make East Anglia impossible - which is the most location to us as our family is in Mildenhall, 6 miles from Isleham.

So if we take the length we are good for most of the canal network apart from Yorkshire really, which is sad as we love that area and hubby is from Huddersfield but there is no way we could live on 57ft with us all - there would be murder

I really want to have a cruise round the boards but canals are more important to us, hence not wanting a board boat as they would restrict the canals we could do - perhaps we can save the boards for day trips with the canoes - shame wild camping isn't allowed in England, although seeing some mess left in Scotland when we camped by idiots and large groups of teens I can see why.

We would love the ability to go to Scotland, but sadly there is no connection, so we cant get there with a canal boat and a sea going boat wouldn't be any good on the canals, in any case we would like to say 6 months etc on the caledonian canal and its not really a canal and not really suitable for marrow boats from what I understand. I know from experience it can certainly be rough up there.

So as you can see, what we would love it do isn't possible - so its getting the best fit and sorting the priorities

1) Being able to be in Ely/Isleham/Fenland areas

2) Living space

3) Network access

4) Scotland access

5) Board access

So this leads us to think a 70ft narrow boat would be the best bet for our priorities, yes it restricts boards/scotland/yorkshire but a widebeam would also do that and restrict east anglia too - hence not looking at widebeams (can someone confirm a widebeam would not allow us around isleham as that is what I have heard but this link says othewise: http://www.waterwaysworld.com/downloads/widebeam_guide.pdf)

Maybe a widebeam or dutch barge would allow coastal and canal access - I dont know I have no experience in this area

Once again thanks for your help and yes I dont want to have my cake and eat it lol