CRTs latest review of license renewals, enforcement update etc

Tuscan

Featured Posts

Ooh crumbs I wonder how long this thread will stay civilised?

Anyway, thanks for posting it makes interesting reading. A mixture of somethings things I woudl have expected and some things I was surprised at reading. The percentage of licence holders without a home mooring under "more detailed review" is an eye opener for example.

At what point will they evict by force a boat owner that doesn't comply ?

They don't evict the 'boat owner' as a person, by force or any other way. They remove his/her boat from the water and take it a long way away by lorry for storage.

Not if he or she is living in it at the time ?

They've always gone to court for a court order to S.8 the boat - even though they don't technically need it. With the court order, in theory the boater living on the boat and preventing the seizure could be arrested for contempt of court, the seizers could legitimately involve the police etc. Living in the boat at the time is not an adequate defence or tactic to avoid the boat being seized and invariably doesn't work, as people have found to their cost.

Not quite sure that I see the purpose of the Continuous Cruiser 'Heat map' for December 2015 on the document. A Continuous Cruiser 'heat map' for May or June may be of some relevance but in the peak of the Winter Stoppage period it doesn't seem remotely worthy of mention that the CC'ers will be a) off the northern flooded areas b ) generally off the rivers and c) will be in areas more accessible for services (coal boats, etc). Am I missing somethingunsure.png

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

Not quite sure that I see the purpose of the Continuous Cruiser 'Heat map' for December 2015 on the document. A Continuous Cruiser 'heat map' for May or June may be of some relevance but in the peak of the Winter Stoppage period it doesn't seem remotely worthy of mention that the CC'ers will be a) off the northern flooded areas b ) generally off the rivers and c) will be in areas more accessible for services (coal boats, etc). Am I missing something:unsure:

Tactical. They tend to promote the winter months whenever possible, as they did when we had all the awful weather in 2010. CRT realise that ccer's tend to cruise near towns, waterpoint etc. They then use it quite effectively to promote an issue.

Edited by jenlyn

Interesting to see the Nantwich area marked as a hot spot. There certainly seems to have been quite a bit of activity in the area with a number of bridge hoppers taking up a mooring or moving on elsewhere.

It does appear to illustrate that the vast majority of boats without a home mooring go about their cruising without any concern to CRT (albeit some might need a reminder) and only 5 or 6% actually enter the enforcement process which is pretty much on a par with license evasion generally.

What it also neglects to mention, is the fact that some of the boats issued with short licences were non liveaboards. Boats that were being left on the cut empty. This was becoming quite an issue.

Add to that the boats that were put on short licences "by mistake" because CRT had not seen them for several months, and the figures come down even lower.

Edited by jenlyn

What it also neglects to mention, is the fact that some of the boats issued with short licences were non liveaboards. Boats that were being left on the cut empty. This was becoming quite an issue.

I can't say I'm surprised at that Steve. It makes sense based on there being far more hobby boats than liveaboards, and people choosing to move their boats out of marinas to save money.

It also supports what I've noticed out on the cut

Richard

It does appear to illustrate that the vast majority of boats without a home mooring go about their cruising without any concern to CRT (albeit some might need a reminder) and only 5 or 6% actually enter the enforcement process which is pretty much on a par with license evasion generally.

The way I read the numbers is that out of 5600 CC 'licences' some 40% were 'further investigated resulting in 1100 (20%) found to be not complying and were subsequently issued with a 'restricted licence'..

Now the initial 'trial warning' period is over, the option to issue '3 month restricted licences' has been removed so, in future, any boats undertaking the same level of movement as those issued with a 3 month licence this year will now be under enforcement.

I can't say I'm surprised at that Steve. It makes sense based on there being far more hobby boats than liveaboards, and people choosing to move their boats out of marinas to save money.

It also supports what I've noticed out on the cut

Richard

I'm not surprised either, and I have no issue with people doing it if I am honest, but they do need to get into the routine of moving, especially in the winter months.

Add to that the boats that were put on short licences "by mistake" because CRT had not seen them for several months, and the figures come down even lower.

Are you saying that the figures quoted as being for 'Boats without a home mooring' (as stipulated in the report) actually includes boats with a home mooring, or, are you suggesting that in addition to these numbers there are a further number to be added

Are you saying that the figures quoted as being for 'Boats without a home mooring' (as stipulated in the report) actually includes boats with a home mooring, or, are you suggesting that in addition to these numbers there are a further number to be added

No, he's saying not all boats without a home mooring are liveaboards

Richard

The heat map is fascinating. As a Birmingham based boater I've often wondered why we have so few continuous cruisers around. In fact I can probably personally name most of them. All those people struggling around London and the southern GU! Presumably its because they have jobs in London but salaries which won't afford them other living options. Birmingham and the west midlands generally has a far more extensive network of waterways than London so far easier to cc and be compliant. I wonder if they'll all come up here if/when HS2 opens?