Overstaying, hog the best spots.

Burgiesburnin

Featured Posts

And it all started with a bird nesting in the fenders.

(C&RT 'animal protection' rules say that a boat must not be moved whilst it has nesting birds - plays havoc with overstaying enforcement)

I reckon my new line of plastic 'nesting birds' - available in sizes ranging from Skylark to Abyssinian Vulture - may prove a hit with those wishing to overstay......

(C&RT 'animal protection' rules say that a boat must not be moved whilst it has nesting birds - plays havoc with overstaying enforcement)

It isn't CRT's animal protection rules it is the law of the land. Nesting birds and their nests must not be disturbed (unless of course they belong to the very short list of pest species0.

It isn't CRT's animal protection rules it is the law of the land. Nesting birds and their nests must not be disturbed (unless of course they belong to the very short list of pest species0.

Since when? I like birds and I would not wish to disturb their nests, but is there really a law which states that we shouldn't do so?

Since when? I like birds and I would not wish to disturb their nests, but is there really a law which states that we shouldn't do so?

Yes wildlife and countryside act.

EDIT: First passed 1980 something.

Edited by Jerra

A quick look at the RSPB site on the Wild Birds and the Law page revealed this:

Basic protection

All birds, their nests and eggs are protected by law and it is thus an offence, with certain exceptions (see Exceptions), to:

intentionally kill, injure or take any wild bird

intentionally take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird whilst it is in use or being built

intentionally take or destroy the egg of any wild bird

have in one's possession or control any wild bird, dead or alive, or any part of a wild bird, which has been taken in contravention of the Act or the Protection of Birds Act 1954

have in one's possession or control any egg or part of an egg which has been taken in contravention of the Act or the Protection of Birds Act 1954

use traps or similar items to kill, injure or take wild birds

have in one's possession or control any bird of a species occurring on Schedule 4 of the Act unless registered, and in most cases ringed, in accordance with the Secretary of State's regulations (see Schedules)

intentionally or recklessly disturb any wild bird listed on Schedule 1 while it is nest building, or at a nest containing eggs or young, or disturb the dependent young of such a bird.

A quick look at the RSPB site on the Wild Birds and the Law page revealed this:

I note the inclusion of the work "intentionally". I would guess that this opens things to interpretation. If I move my boat complete with bird nesting on fender, I might do be intentionally disturbing the nest.

Nick