Behaviour - Lock queuing without helping?

Timx

Featured Posts

So, to take the other point of view, those at the back of the queue aren't actually trying to help those in front of them are they?

They are actually trying to hurry those ahead of them through for their own advantage.

If I'm going through a lock, and there are 8 boats behind me, do I actually want the guy on the back boat in the queue throwing paddles up a bit too fast to shave 2 minutes of the time of each boat in front of him?

You obviously view locking very differently to us.

We aim to see all boats pass through, including our own, as smoothly and safely as possible. Time is never even a consideration.

Takes all sorts as the old woman said as she kissed the cow (sorry one of my Mothers ;) )

Rog

• Greenie 1

So, to take the other point of view, those at the back of the queue aren't actually trying to help those in front of them are they?

They are actually trying to hurry those ahead of them through for their own advantage.

If I'm going through a lock, and there are 8 boats behind me, do I actually want the guy on the back boat in the queue throwing paddles up a bit too fast to shave 2 minutes of the time of each boat in front of him?

That's a very cynical view Mr. Mayal.

Bob

Going up the Audlem flight on the Shroppie last year (6 of us on a hire boat) we caught up to a single-handed lady in -- I guess -- her sixties, who was obviously very experienced but equally obviously much slower than we were.

She quickly realised this and pulled over and waved us past, so I stayed behind (with her thanks!) to help her up the flight behind our boat. We spent the next couple of hours having a good old natter with her (mostly) on the boat and me doing (most of) the locks, keeping one lock behind our boat since they were setting the next lock ready for us. I left her as she was going into the next-to-top lock, went ahead to set the top lock for her, and waved goodbye as we went on our way.

Net outcome, everybody happy -- we put a bit more effort in to help (but I love doing locks anyway), she got up the flight a lot more easily than on her own, I got some interesting stories -- like the time her dog (also lovely!) was partly responsible for the sign at the Black Lion in Consall Forge (also lovely!) warning about the incompatibility of dogs and chickens, having got off the leash as she was leaving and killed one in front of the customers...

That will be Steph on Whychboy...I may not have that spelling right! Lovely lady and dog! Once towed her from fradley to burton when her engine had a wobble. I was amazed at the boaters that we met that said I shouldn't be doing that! Only met her when we moored in front of her. Surely everyone would offer help if another boater was in trouble? Haven't seen her for a while so good to know she's still boating.

Cheers

Gareth

I did point out to my wife that perhaps his interpersonal skills may explain his being alone smile.png

I think that may be a very valid point, Rog.

If I am on the boat alone, like if the misses is setting the next lock I always get off the boat, a had a disagreement with a Volockie at Fradley about that when he told me single handers stay on the boat in his lock.

That will be Steph on Whychboy...I may not have that spelling right! Lovely lady and dog! Once towed her from fradley to burton when her engine had a wobble. I was amazed at the boaters that we met that said I shouldn't be doing that! Only met her when we moored in front of her. Surely everyone would offer help if another boater was in trouble? Haven't seen her for a while so good to know she's still boating.

Cheers

Gareth

What was their point? Was it 'You don't wanna do it like that mate', or 'You shouldn't be towing another boat, you know'...?

We Came up the Bosley flight on Saturday, and had fair few helpers, we had a chat with most if not all. I even had to laugh when the lady driving out of a lock decided to make me wait whilst she brewed up (you know who you are) All in all a pleasant day and a laugh to boot

frangar, on 15 Mar 2016 - 2:33 PM, said:

Cheers

Gareth

I think some people believe towing/recovery is not allowed by your insurance policy (It may not be so it is always worth checking). Hire boats (which of course yours is not) are almost certainly not allowed to do it so perhaps some boaters think it applies to everybody??

(We once had to decline towing a boat when we were hire boaters and luckily they understood. I did feel pretty crap though when one of the crew subsequently fell and broke her wrist while bow hauling the broken down boat into Thurmaston lock).

I would agree with the general consensus that helping each other out at locks is both considerate and practical as well as being an opportunity to chat to other boaters. I would also include in that, pairing up with another boat when locking through wide locks.

But, speaking as an habitual single-hander who enjoys working my own boat through locks, there are times when I would prefer to enjoy doing that, than to stay on the boat, like a stuffed dummy and let another crew operate the lock for me.

So where locks are busy and I would otherwise be holding people up, I will always either accept help offered by another crew, or, alternatively, suggest a crewed boat goes through the lock ahead of me. Otherwise when I am locking through happily on my own and only a boat waiting to lock through in the other direction is involved, I may decline the kind offer of help. I always try to do this politely and would hate to think I appear ungrateful or have caused offence, but for me there is more to boating than simply getting from A to B as quickly as possible and/or with the minimum of effort.

Edited by NilesMI

I tend to do this (as a single-hander) mostly because I've tethered the boat (one way or another) and moving up merely means that everyone has to untether and retether. So, I encourage a game of leap-frog whereby all know who next to enter the lock although they might not be at the physical head of the 'queue'.

I was going to add something to that effect too. If you know who is directly in front of you, and who behind, it doesn't matter what the physical order of the boats is. And you can actually talk to other boaters to explain/clarify/confirm the position (Good grief! Whatever next?).

What was their point? Was it 'You don't wanna do it like that mate', or 'You shouldn't be towing another boat, you know'...?

Mainly that we had the audacity to tow a boat through a flight of single locks! They had to wait while we got the tow sorted. Apprarently it's not allowed!! I'm afraid they got a curt response and told if they weren't going to help they could stay out of the way....or words to that effect.

I classed a broken down boat as a vessel in distress. Therefore I think you are allowed to help whatever your policy says. Sometimes you do what's right rather than what's in black & white!

Cheers

Gareth

Mainly that we had the audacity to tow a boat through a flight of single locks! They had to wait while we got the tow sorted. Apprarently it's not allowed!! I'm afraid they got a curt response and told if they weren't going to help they could stay out of the way....or words to that effect.

I classed a broken down boat as a vessel in distress. Therefore I think you are allowed to help whatever your policy says. Sometimes you do what's right rather than what's in black & white!

Cheers

Gareth

That can't be right surely? How do working pairs cope?

I've only seen this once or twice, the vast majority of boaters help each other in my experience.

Me too. I always see boaters helping each other. Very rare in my experience that they don't.

I thought that northerners were supposed to be more friendly and helpful than us soft southerners. Doesn't sound like it from the OP.

My first ever experience with boating on canals was towing a newly purchased 72' joey from the centre of Birmingham with a 55' hire boat (arranged and agreed with hire company first by the way) 'twas a long time ago and things were a bit easier going then smile.png

(oddly I don't remember even being asked if I knew how to work a lock, I just handed over my money and was given the ignition key)

That can't be right surely? How do working pairs cope?

That was one mans opinion!...of course it's allowed!....excuse my sarcasm.......we must have held him up by about 2mins while we reattached the line.....he wasn't happy and was letting all and sundry know it....to be fair quite a few other boats did lend a hand but as ever it's the negative ones that stick in the mind!

Cheers

Gareth

Edited to add

We had the tow on cross straps....I think if we had used the long line then we would have ended up with a boat in the middle of the tow!

Edited by frangar

So do Aquarius and Ilford have the whole flight to themselves? Is there a queue of boats waiting to come down the flight, who's females are happy to lock the pair through while their masters are content to hold their middle rope?

So do Aquarius and Ilford have the whole flight to themselves? Is there a queue of boats waiting to come down the flight, who's females are happy to lock the pair through while their masters are content to hold their middle rope?

The Narrow Boat Trust uses a long line on the Wolverhampton 21 to save water and have a change from bow hauling the butty. If a boat is coming down it can go into the lock that the motor is leaving, which needs draining down anyway to receive the butty. It just needs for people to understand what's going on and for the towing line to be managed so that it stays between the down going boat and the tow path.

These days there are so many uptight people who want to shout at you if you open the paddle too quickly, or who resent receiving any help at all because (perhaps) it makes them feel inadequate. Sometimes it is tempting just to wait your turn. What is at the root of that is too many inexperienced boaters who are on edge at locks because they find it slightly scary / difficult / unfamiliar or whatever. It is their insecurity that makes them tetchy and hence the temptation to just let them get on with it.

I've only got as far as this post but felt the need to offer a different angle.

When going DOWNHILL in a lock with a 71.5ft boat I like to do my own paddles.

Like the OP I too have noticed a huge increase in boat traffic this week and yesterday working down through Middlewich was the first time this year there has been other boats/crews around.

I had just started opening paddles of the top lock to go down when someone appeared with a windlass and said "it's ok, you jump on the boat I'll do this". I replied "Thanks but it's OK, I like to do my own paddles". This was met with a sulky face and the declaration of "well I've been doing this much longer than you have", which is probably true but doesn't change the fact I feel safer doing my own paddles.

My preference to do my own paddles going DOWNHILL is not born out of any feeling of inadequacy. Scared, yes maybe, but only scared that a stranger wouldn't react as quickly as I would should a situation develop.

I do relax my rule in some shallow narrow Locks such as those on the Shroppie, because I'm confident I could get from the steerers position to the paddle in a few seconds should I need to.

Nothing personal Nick, I'd be happy for you to open my paddles anytime.