Traditional Large Cratch Board Lamp/Light

GreyLady

Featured Posts

Is their a high lumen/brighter version of the 'traditional looking' tunnel Lamp/Light on the market?

My dad's going to make a cratch board and we like the look of a large brass lamp in the middle of a cratch board.

Edited by GreyLady

Is their a high lumen/brighter version of the 'traditional looking' tunnel Lamp/Light on the market?

My dad's going to make a cratch board and we like the look of a large brass lamp in the middle of a cratch board.

I know we will always be fake traditionalists.

Why do you want a higher powered brighter one?

• Greenie 1

When you say brighter, what do you mean by "brighter"? Brighter than what?

If you really want something that is genuinely traditional then you should have a 1930/50's Lucas "King of the Road" type foglight,. with a 36 watt tungsten bulb in it. That is what most working boats had, and is what we have on Helvetia. Pictures below:-

Lamp03_zpsaa3a654c.jpg

Flecknoe%20Fields%2007_zpsql5cxppm.jpg

Despite it's low powered output, angled towards the tunnel roof, we find I perfectly adequate for illuminating tunnels

Edited by David Schweizer

Thanks Darren which one have you got?

That's the best match of what we want and I've not seen that site before.

Cheers

Why do you want a higher powered brighter one?

Because only from what I've seen on YouTube as a no nuffing they look dim 'from my TV chair'

We will be doing harecastle tunnel A lot and me being an overthinker thought brighter might be lighter on on the steerer. Haha ha.

When you say brighter, what do you mean by "brighter"? Brighter than what?

If you really want something that is genuinely traditional then you should have a 1930's Lucas "King of the Road" type foglight,. with a 36 watt tungsten bulb in it. That is what most working boats had, and is what we have on Helvetia. Pictures below:-

Lamp03_zpsaa3a654c.jpg

Flecknoe%20Fields%2007_zpsql5cxppm.jpg

Despite it's low powered output, angled towards the tunnel roof, we find I perfectly adequate for illuminating tunnels

I like that A lot, not sure why she's not sold yet it's a lovely boat, I love the cratch board too.☺ Edited by GreyLady

Any light will look dim when you enter the tunnel. as your eyes have to adjust, which they will do within a couple of minutes. After that, a low powered lamp will be fine, and it won't blind oncoming boats, although there wont be any of those in harecastle tunnel.

I like the repro lamps, and not a bad price either,.

A good spread of light is whats needed IMO

Any light will look dim when you enter the tunnel. as your eyes have to adjust, which they will do within a couple of minutes. After that, a low powered lamp will be fine, and it won't blind oncoming boats, although there wont be any of those in harecastle tunnel.

I like the repro lamps, and not a bad price either,.

I like the traditional looking lamps though I think they were run on oil in the proper days, being honest what I like the look of and what means more is not always the same thing.

A bit like old landrovers. Haaaaa bugger sigh.

Thanks you lot for your help.

Much appreciated.

If you have a bright light particularly a spot light rather than search light - like those brass Francis ex-fire engine lights- you will dazzle oncoming boats in a wide tunnel. And they will crash into you. I did it in Blisworth once and the guy said "you're the 3rd person who's done that." As Dave said, any light should be slightly angled up to the roof rather than down to the water where it will reflect. Once your eyes adjust you really don't need a bright light at all - oil lamps werecquite adequate on early working boats.

A bright light can be counterproductive!

Paul

If you have a bright light particularly a spot light rather than search light - like those brass Francis ex-fire engine lights- you will dazzle oncoming boats in a wide tunnel. And they will crash into you. I did it in Blisworth once and the guy said "you're the 3rd person who's done that." As Dave said, any light should be slightly angled up to the roof rather than down to the water where it will reflect. Once your eyes adjust you really don't need a bright light at all - oil lamps werecquite adequate on early working boats.

A bright light can be counterproductive!

Paul

Thanks Paul.

I think i need a rethink and someone to help steer on our first tunnel.

Edited by GreyLady

Always found that after the motor was converted & into the Hotel Boating the fact of having the cabin lights on (for the passengers)the light shining through the side windows helped to see for better steering in tunnels than any headlamp. Our headlamp was a old 7" sealed beam car light unit from around the mid 50's wired to work on the dipped beam& fitted in an old boating oil lamp with the inner works removed I always found a spread of light better than a beam irrespective of the brightness

Three tips to help you steer through tunnels.

1. Close one eye before you go in, then once in open that eye and close the other. After 30 seconds open both eyes. Helps as one eye has already adjusted to low light levels.

2. Turn all of the inside lights on before entering the tunnel. The light escaping from the windows shows you were the sides of the tunnel are.

3. When you can see the light at the other end of the tunnel, line up something at the front of the boat roof (mushroom vent, aeriel etc) on the centre of the boat with it. Helps keep you straight.

Harecastle is easy since there's no chance of meeting a boat coming the other way.

Please no more blinding bright lights! If I had my way, I'd issue each boat with a candle when they enter a tunnel.

I've done wast hill and Netherton with a cheap head torch when my tunnel light was playing up.

Thanks for the Tunnel Tips.

Cuthound, I probably would keep them closed until we got to the other end.

Dave P, can I have four candles please.

On a serious note I get the point that super bright lights are not necessary.

Edited by GreyLady

I like the traditional looking lamps though I think they were run on oil in the proper days, being honest what I like the look of and what means more is not always the same thing.

A bit like old landrovers. Haaaaa bugger sigh.

Thanks you lot for your help.

Much appreciated.

This is one of the tunnel lamps I have on C F. It has a spotlamp in it, yes, but the beam is angled up and to the RHS. I have yet to receive a complaint from other boaters.

I have kept the paraffin burner so I can also use that if I wish.

I have not damaged the lamp by fitting an electric light in it.

I also have this from a 1914 Humber Tourer bought from an auto jumble.

Edited by Ray T

This is one of the tunnel lamps I have on C F. It has a spotlamp in it, yes but the beam is angled up and to the RHS. I have you to receive a complaint from other boaters.

attachicon.gifDSCF4184.JPG

I have kept the paraffin burner so I can also use that if I wish.

attachicon.gifMy light Inside.jpg

I have not damaged the lamp by fitting an electric light in it.

I also have this from a 1914 Humber Tourer bought from an auto jumble.

attachicon.gifDSCF2026.JPG

They look nice Ray very in keeping.

Lovely

Thanks Darren which one have you got?

That's the best match of what we want and I've not seen that site before.

Cheers

Because only from what I've seen on YouTube as a no nuffing they look dim 'from my TV chair'

We will be doing harecastle tunnel A lot and me being an overthinker thought brighter might be lighter on on the steerer. Haha ha.

I like that A lot, not sure why she's not sold yet it's a lovely boat, I love the cratch board too.☺

[pedant]

That's a deckboard not a cratch board.

[/pedant]

Be prepared for abuse from oncoming boats in tunnels. Boating into a blinding tunnel light is very, very unpleasant

Richard