Birmingham is really dangerous

Featured Posts

Folk should remember that Birmingham is really dangerous. Don't go there!

We have gone for a weekend jaunt to Fazeley to Star City, arriving just as it is getting dark (1 too many in the Dog &Doublet - well it was really sunny and pleasant), only to find the pontoon nearly full! In March! Just squeezed in. The other folk here are clearly foolhardy as everyone knows it's highly dangerous. They shouldn't be here!

On a slightly serious note there is perhaps a slight problem with CRT relaxing VM restrictions over the winter - Star City is normally 24hr as it is something of a refuge in bandit country and if you can't get moored here there are not too many other options. Although I've no idea how long the other boats have been here for. Normally one arrives and its deserted, which is how it should be, for this is a local mooring for local people....

Edited by nicknorman

You could always reverse back and go round to Cuckoo Wharf, although that could mean having to moor on the service point overnight. Other than that continue on to Typhoo Basin. Personally once stopped at the Dog and Doublet l would have stayed there and then run in to Brum tomorrow.

You could always reverse back and go round to Cuckoo Wharf, although that could mean having to moor on the service point overnight. Other than that continue on to Typhoo Basin. Personally once stopped at the Dog and Doublet l would have stayed there and then run in to Brum tomorrow.

Yes cuckoo is a backup. No time to linger at D&D, we have to be back at Fazeley tomorrow as Jeff is working on Monday. It's all go!

I was just surprised to find 3 boats here in March, normally it is deserted except for BCN challenge.

Edited by nicknorman

crufts

Possibly, but the NEC is quite a long way from here. Somewhere like Catherine de Barnes is much closer.

Anyway, and on the subject of a couple of other threads, it's interesting how a thread on boating provides so little interest to the forum, a couple of replies in a couple of hours, meantime there are hundreds on the many non-boating threads currently running.

Anyway, and on the subject of a couple of other threads, it's interesting how a thread on boating provides so little interest to the forum, a couple of replies in a couple of hours, meantime there are hundreds on the many non-boating threads currently running.

Sadly seems to be happening more and more on here.....unless you are part of the right gang,

Cheers

Gareth

Where would one moor in the Typhoo basins? It looked pretty desolate the only time I went in there.

I've never stopped in there but I have heard of people mooring overnight as a safe location.

The BCNS have them listed as a safe location, https://bcnsociety.com/bcn-safe-moorings-guide/index-to-safe-moorings-on-the-bcn/birmingham-fazeley-canal/digbeth-branch-of-the-birmingham-fazeley-canal/typhoo-basin/.

I've never stopped in there but I have heard of people mooring overnight as a safe location.

Yes I think it is a safe location but I don't think you can get out landside easily. Mind you since most of Star City seems to be tea total these days we haven't ventured out tonight either!

Glad you made in onto the pontoon Nick. Don't talk about crufts though, the M42 has been cr*ap. The good news is England won, and a Gand slam is on the cards so a good evening, hic

Anyway unless it has been changed you should be able to get to Star City with a BW key.

You shouldn't have to stay on the service point as, theoretically, there are 14 day visitor moorings there although the signage is a bit ambiguous.

When we were there in November the visitor mooring space seemed to be taken by CRT boats but there was an empty residential mooring so we stayed on that. The mooring is still unsold so the space should still be there.

The 3 boats we saw at Star City 2 weeks ago when out walking looked very settled.

Couldn't see where the VM was at Cuckoo Wharf but we may need to use it in the summer so will go check again

Glad you made in onto the pontoon Nick. Don't talk about crufts though, the M42 has been cr*ap. The good news is England won, and a Gand slam is on the cards so a good evening, hic

Anyway unless it has been changed you should be able to get to Star City with a BW key.

When does Crufts finish? I've got to take Jeff to the airport (from Tamworth, via M42) on Sunday evening, myself to the airport on Monday evening. I'd better check.

When does Crufts finish? I've got to take Jeff to the airport (from Tamworth, via M42) on Sunday evening, myself to the airport on Monday evening. I'd better check.

Sunday.......I'd allow extra time.....all routes round there will be manic!

Cheers

Gareth

The 3 boats we saw at Star City 2 weeks ago when out walking looked very settled.

Couldn't see where the VM was at Cuckoo Wharf but we may need to use it in the summer so will go check again

The cuckoo wharf one is at the Salford Jn end of the wharf but as mentioned there are sometimes workboats there and further towards Aston. So worst case is that you have to breast up to one of them.

Yes 2 of these boats look pretty settled, although of course it would be politically incorrect and the subject of much abuse if I were to suggest they were overstaying! They are of course allowed 2 weeks at this time of year, which as I mentioned earlier I think is a mistake by CRT.