Delay to survey- what would you do?

Witchword

Featured Posts

At 26 years old check that you planned insurer will accept it without a current survey. Many / Some will want a survey at 25 years old

That may determine having a survey or not.

Or just use an insurer that doesn't require a survey...

I think she's 1990 so 26. She was blacked in 2014 as well, anodes replaced and she has a galvanic isolator. I wonder if I can see the 2014 survey? Also can you see a maintenance history?

Good owners keep bills and records of what they have done to the boat I have all mine from the moment I bought her, It shows you care, and my last boat sold I suspect because of the file of work carried out. In my case blacking every 2 years the colour and make of paint used to paint and even cans of paint so touch up repairs can be done and the bills for the servicing I did it all helps

Ah, how about this? How do I get a look at the previous survey?

Ask the broker to ask the seller. Ideally you'd also want to see a record of any work carried out in response to issues arising in that survey. They might not let you see it, but if they think it's going to make the difference between a quick sale at the price already agreed vs. a later sale subject to negotiation after a further survey...

I don't know, I understand what everyone's saying about the wisdom of getting your own survey, but June 2014 is very recent. I can certainly see why you're tempted to do without, and the fact that you'd have to pay to lift the boat out for the survey and then to lift it out again not long after for blacking just feels like the final insult.

Beware previous surveys. They can be doctored. A previous survey should only really be used as a basis on whether to commission your own.

True, but the suggestion was to ask the surveyor who inspected the boat 18, 20 months ago to do an in-water inspection now. He isn't going to have anything to gain by messing me about, is he?

Yes that's the one. Hopefully I can use the previous survey...

I bought my boat from the same broker last year. The broker allowed me to see the previous survey in the office at Wigrams but she would not allow me to take a copy without the seller's permission. I still had my own survey done anyway but my point is that the same broker did allow me to read the previous survey.

I was also allowed to look through the folder of documents left on the boat, albeit service records etc had not been kept so it mostly consisted of manuals and instruction leaflets for various bits of equipment.

True, but the suggestion was to ask the surveyor who inspected the boat 18, 20 months ago to do an in-water inspection now. He isn't going to have anything to gain by messing me about, is he?

I wasn't suggesting your surveyor is going to mess with the survey if that's what you meant? I was suggesting that previous surveys can be doctored by previous owners to make the hull look better than it is. I once met a man who bought a Dutch barge on the strength of a previous survey only to later find that the hull thickness measurements had been changed on the paperwork. It cost him about £10k in repairs.

Also, a survey in the water is probably a waste of time in my opinion. How much of the below waterline hull will the surveyor have access to on the inside of the boat? On most narrowboats not very much unless you're going to start ripping up the paneling and the floor.

Well, that's true- but no, I meant that the surveyor will have a copy of the original survey in his records, won't he? Like a mechanic keeps records of the cars he's serviced? And possibly a memory of the boat as well. I guess I won't know unless I ring up and ask, anyway :)

Well, that's true- but no, I meant that the surveyor will have a copy of the original survey in his records, won't he? Like a mechanic keeps records of the cars he's serviced? And possibly a memory of the boat as well. I guess I won't know unless I ring up and ask, anyway :)

Ah, sorry I didn't realise the same surveyor had done the previous survey. I may have missed a few posts here. In that case it should be ok.

How old is the previous survey? If I Was able to view an old survey (less than say 7 years old), and I knew for sure that it was legit then I'd forego a new survey. Assuming of course that there were no issues of hull thickness or pitting highlighted in the old survey and the boat had been regularly blacked since that time.

You say the boat has a GI. I'd want to check that it's still working. Not difficult to do with a multimeter. They don't usually fail, but if I found it didn't work and knew the boat had been in a marina on shore power most of the time, then I wouldn't be ok with the old survey. Any idea of the make of GI?

Use the second GI test method here:

http://www.safeshoremarine.com/testing%20an%20isolator

Edited by blackrose

I assume you will want the boat insured fully comp as its your home , call some insurers and see what they require.

Well yes, since the boat is of an age where a survey might be required for insurance purposes, you might need a survey anyway.

I suggested this a couple of pages ago and got the usual type of response " well change your insurer to one that doesn't want a survey'.

Ah, sorry I didn't realise the same surveyor had done the previous survey. I may have missed a few posts here. In that case it should be ok.

How old is the previous survey? If I Was able to view an old survey (less than say 7 years old), and I knew for sure that it was legit then I'd forego a new survey. Assuming of course that there were no issues of hull thickness or pitting highlighted in the old survey and the boat had been regularly blacked since that time.

How hard is it to read the thread before posting? She said the survey is from 2014 and the boatwas financed based on that survey.

Well yes, since the boat is of an age where a survey might be required for insurance purposes, you might need a survey anyway.

Craftinsure won't require a survey on a boat of this age.

How hard is it to read the thread before posting? She said the survey is from 2014 and the boatwas financed based on that survey.

Not that easy when your posting from Germany on a phone. Listen I've already apologised to the OP. I'm just trying to be helpful here - there's really no need to be an arsehole.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2

I'm sorry, i didn't realise that being in Germany hindered your reading abilities

It's doesn't hinder my reading abilities, but it can make reading every post on a small screen difficult. What's so difficult to understand about that?

Idiots like you just need to have an argument about anything... I'm out of here.

Edited by blackrose

It's doesn't hinder my reading abilities, but it can make reading every post on a small screen difficult. What's so difficult to understand about that?

Idiots like you just need to have an argument about anything... I'm out of here.

Please don't go, all advice is welcome and tbh I need it! I hadn't thought of the insurers.

Please don't go, all advice is welcome and tbh I need it! I hadn't thought of the insurers.

Getting insurance on a liveaboard is a bit more difficult than on a leisure boat. I am doing mine right now and have spent hours and hours on the phone and www. Most companies want a survey once the boat gets to 25 so if you don't have one this will limit your choice of companies quite seriously. Maybe phone a couple of insurance companies now and confirm what is available before making a decision on the survey.

Do this yourself, rather than using forum advice. I am learning that insurance companies are funny things and what was available to somebody last month might not be available to you now!

.................Dave

Getting insurance on a liveaboard is a bit more difficult than on a leisure boat. I am doing mine right now and have spent hours and hours on the phone and www. Most companies want a survey once the boat gets to 25 so if you don't have one this will limit your choice of companies quite seriously. Maybe phone a couple of insurance companies now and confirm what is available before making a decision on the survey.

Do this yourself, rather than using forum advice. I am learning that insurance companies are funny things and what was available to somebody last month might not be available to you now!

.................Dave

If it helps I have been with Euromarine for many years and they dont care wether you liveaboard or not they cover hobby boaters or liveaboards for the same premium.

Tim

If it helps I have been with Euromarine for many years and they dont care wether you liveaboard or not they cover hobby boaters or liveaboards for the same premium.

Tim

Does that include any contents/possessions cover?

Ill give them a look, we are roving traders too which opens up a load of new issues. Some companies can (or think they might) include the public liability for trading within the existing public liability whilst others want to almost double the premium to effectively combine a marine trade policy with a liveaboard policy.

Current policy this year increased from £408 to £508

One company will do £290 plus an unknown extra bit for trading and an unknown extra bit for contents.

Two have been in the region of £1000

...............Dave