Great deal on deionised water

Jon57

Featured Posts

Mike, deioinised is second rate distilled, but its really hard to get distilled these days.

.............Dave

Just to go back to my comment in post #6, my home dehumidifier produces about 5 litres per week. Distilled water is condensed from water vapour - I've always assumed that's what I'm getting. Am I wrong?

Just to go back to my comment in post #6, my home dehumidifier produces about 5 litres per week. Distilled water is condensed from water vapour - I've always assumed that's what I'm getting. Am I wrong?

You're half right. I looked this up some years ago during a similar thread. What you don't know about the water from a dehumidifier is what it collects from the various metal parts that it contacts.

Pretty obviously water from a condensing tumble drier is completely unsuitable because of the remnants of soap and softening agents (and metal as above).

Tony

You're half right. I looked this up some years ago during a similar thread. What you don't know about the water from a dehumidifier is what it collects from the various metal parts that it contacts.

Tony

I can't see that would make any difference if using it in an engine

Richard

Where do all the ions end up, eh? Probably all in landfill somewhere, polluting the earth for future generations! You wet cell boys should be ashamed of yourselves!

Surely they save them, mix them all up, add a bit of carbon and and make them into boats and cars!

From the AA site:

"Although tremendous progress has been made in improving the performance of modern day antifreeze/coolants there is still one factor that can reduce their effectiveness – the quality of the water used for dilution! High levels of calcium and magnesium in tap water, that cause furring of kettle heater elements, can also lead to deposits and scale build up in the engine cooling system. If you are in a hard water area it is advisable to use distilled or deionised water in the cooling system rather than tap water."

From the AA site:

"Although tremendous progress has been made in improving the performance of modern day antifreeze/coolants there is still one factor that can reduce their effectiveness – the quality of the water used for dilution! High levels of calcium and magnesium in tap water, that cause furring of kettle heater elements, can also lead to deposits and scale build up in the engine cooling system. If you are in a hard water area it is advisable to use distilled or deionised water in the cooling system rather than tap water."

I've said the same on countless occasions on this forum.

I still find it suspicious that they can charge more for water someone's had all the ions out of. You wouldn't get away with that with sausage rolls.

True. Not much of a market out there for low-ion sausage rolls, I dunt reckun.

I've never understood why ions (whatever they are!) removed from the water makes the water any more suitable for topping up batteries than with them left in.

As I understood it from skool, distilled water was required because this removed the hardness (dissolved calcium) which otherwise clogs up the battery plates over the longer term. Topping up just once with tap water is no problem at all. Is this wrong?

P.S. I always thought ions were the things that created an electrical charge, so de-ionised water would be water containing no electrical charge. This makes NO sense to me!

I've never understood why ions (whatever they are!) removed from the water makes the water any more suitable for topping up batteries than with them left in.

As I understood it from skool, distilled water was required because this removed the hardness (dissolved calcium) which otherwise clogs up the battery plates over the longer term. Topping up just once with tap water is no problem at all. Is this wrong?

P.S. I always thought ions were the things that created an electrical charge, so de-ionised water would be water containing no electrical charge. This makes NO sense to me!

It shall now make sense: http://www.distilleddeionizedwater.com/deionized-water-vs-distilled-water/

Anything dissolved in the water will be in ionic form. That includes calcium for instance. Taking a simple example, salt is a crystalline form of sodium chloride. When dissolved, the crystals break up into positive sodium ions and negative chlorine ions, Na+ & Cl-.

Edited by dor