Heading for the crusher

J R ALSOP

Featured Posts

It looks to me as if steering that little lot could be a bit tricky? Those boats at the front would be tied together quite tightly, but I'm guessing they'll still have a mind of their own going round bends, and won't the boat at the back tend to swing about a bit with no-one apparently steering it? I don't have experience of this sort of thing, perhaps someone who does can enlighten me.

I think that is Wood, Hall & Heward's 'Scouser', with their dumb barge "Jim 1" in the foreground.

tugs1.jpgtugs3.jpg

The boats being scrapped don't look to be beyond recovery though.

I believe BW/CRT have/had a policy of scrapping anything with a value less than £2000.

Anything less would simply reappear as a CM and become the subject of another expensive S8 removal. I know that even more valuable boats can also do that but they have to start somewhere.

George ex nb Alton retired

Still a shame that these 'entry level' boats keep being lost.

Daniel

Perhaps Roger can explain more?

Obviously it is hard to see from that quite small photo the condition of all the boats involved, but at least some would appear to be potentially worth more than the value where CRT make no attempt to resell them.

I wonder why that does not apply in this case?

I wonder why that does not apply in this case?

I would imagine you are estimating their value as seen at a brokers, not at auction prices. When things are sold quickly, their value is significantly less

I can't see a boat there that's going to make more than £1000 at auction, if they get any bids at all

Richard

would that £1000 not be better set against costs as opposed to scrapping at further cost to CRT?

What are the costs in realising that £1000? Employ sales staff to run websites, host visits, clean boats, deal with brokers - Got to be best part of £50,000 a year.

Richard

What are the costs in realising that £1000? Employ sales staff to run websites, host visits, clean boats, deal with brokers - Got to be best part of £50,000 a year.

Richard

That's never been how they deal with this kind of thing though, I think.

The boats are typically sold at auction in current condition. Lets face it that's how CRT sell their own excess boats - no attempt to tart up or market in any great way. Some of those S8 sales have certainly just been as part of DoveBid auctions, but I don't think all are.

The argument then is is it worth doing for a particular boat, and I concede for most of what can be seen there probably not.

However, externally at least, one (facing towards the tug, on the side of the photographer) looks like it isn't in bad nick, and GRPs often fetch quite a bit more than many assume they might.

I am certainly curious to know how an estimated value is decided, before a decision is made to destroy boats like these.

However, externally at least, one (facing towards the tug, on the side of the photographer) looks like it isn't in bad nick, and GRPs often fetch quite a bit more than many assume they might.

The one with the four inch pump on the bow? I wonder if it is running

Richard

would that £1000 not be better set against costs as opposed to scrapping at further cost to CRT?

As I mentioned above, CRT are of the opinion, presumably based on experience, that too many such boats go straight back in the water causing them another costly s8 procedure to remove.

• Greenie 1

It looks to me as if steering that little lot could be a bit tricky?

Those being pushed will be winched in tight so they form a single unit with no great steerage problems. The one under tow is a bit light and wind can make it a problem, but with a working pair it's the norm to tow an empty 72' butty on cross straps with no-one steering so this is not much different.

Tam

As I mentioned above, CRT are of the opinion, presumably based on experience, that too many such boats go straight back in the water causing them another costly s8 procedure to remove.

I can see their logic - I haven't tried hard to sell Juno (and I am now not going to sell her at all) but the few expressions of interest I had were nearly always from those who thought they could cut their living costs to rock bottom on an uninsulated boat with no heating which they were going to take away from her existing mooring to cut costs further. Curiously the few people who might have invested in her were willing to offer more money for her.

going off topic, in the end I realised that even though I have a narrow boat as well Juno is too useful to get rid of - day or weekend boat, spare bedroom for guests...

On the other side of the coin I can see the sadness in the lack of "starter boats" and I myself might, in a couple of years, consider another (as in a third) boat if I could get a mini-Juno (say 18 feet) for a couple of grand or less, I could base it elsewhere and trail it with a normal car instead of a 4wd - but the demand for such boats seems to be low

Perhaps it needs someone such as the IWA to promote low cost leisure boating?

On the other side of the coin I can see the sadness in the lack of "starter boats" and I myself might, in a couple of years, consider another (as in a third) boat if I could get a mini-Juno (say 18 feet) for a couple of grand or less, I could base it elsewhere and trail it with a normal car instead of a 4wd - but the demand for such boats seems to be low

Perhaps it needs someone such as the IWA to promote low cost leisure boating?

It would be interesting to see what could be done.

I can see the argument that in the wrong hands these boats could face issue again, and I would be fairly happy for those that are for instance holed to be lost. However there are not as I understand it a lot of new grp boats suitable for canals being made, and a starter or cost effective boat is if you ask me as important as any other, and I would support these boats being sold of either at auction, or given to an organisation to re-home.

Daniel