Anglers' financial contribution?

zenataomm

Featured Posts

I know the value of my licence and that the amount goes wholly to CRT.

Also the amount I pay for moorings. I can also guess how much of that goes to CRT by basing how EOG moorings work.

How much does an Angler'ist contribute to CRT indirectly?

I guess their fees go to whatever club has bought the fishing rights to a given stretch.

So how much does the average fishing club pay CRT?

Yes, but how much does that work out per angler?

I'm not sure that matters? Generally speaking CRT don't spend money on facilities specifically for anglers. The effectively receive the admittedly small revenue from anglers for nothing.

If you look on the CRT web site there are the prices that CRT charge for individuals.

For the Lakes etc that CRT owns, Earleswood Lakes as an example is £5 or £7 per day depending on which lake. There is a "West Midlands Season permit for £156 per year.

On canals there is a Waterways Wanderer permit for £20 per year that looks to let you use certain sections of canal, presumably all those not rented out to clubs. Clubs can buy those permits for £10.

The canals are generally, these days, a poor prospect for anglers.

They are insecure, plauged by public and disturbed by boats smile.png

Also the fish stocks are generally small (and predated heavily by cormorants).

There are <rise of commercial fisheries everywhere> much better choices for anglers (and that's the keyword there = choice) hence the canals are competing.

If CaRT raised their prices too much, the bigger associations would leave imo.

Edited by mark99

I'm not sure that matters? Generally speaking CRT don't spend money on facilities specifically for anglers. The effectively receive the admittedly small revenue from anglers for nothing.

Yes CRT does spend to support anglers. As a boater I don't walk along the stretches of towpath that are full of anglers, I go past and moor. So much of the towpath provision is for them. I agree that others also use them, but anglers directly benefit.

There are <rise of commercial fisheries everywhere> much better choices for anglers (and that's the keyword there = choice) hence the canals are competing.

EERRMM GOOD!

Also the amount I pay for moorings. I can also guess how much of that goes to CRT by basing how EOG moorings work.

I guess their fees go to whatever club has bought the fishing rights to a given stretch.

From published info the total income p/a from angling is circa £550K.

On the bit of canal I trawl up and down is mainly run/leased by Blenheim Angling Association. I hardly ever see any anglers. This Friday/Saturday whilst travelling up and down Ricky/Harefield I saw one who was wandering up and down with a lure rod and by the look of his set up, was probably not a member - just a member of the public.

Edited by mark99

What nonsense we boaters can spout. Is this about only boaters can use the canal system or deserve to? It is very tribal to think only the group you belong to is contributing enough and deserve to use the canals.

The fact is the boaters license is only a proportion of CRT's income of around 30% less depending on how you work it out. I am not saying boating is subsidised but that there are other significant sources of income.

CRT do receive income from angling clubs and I know that some of those clubs also contribute volunteer labour to help improve towpaths from time to time.

The canal system is a National resource it doesn't just belong to boaters and we should be happy to share.

Agreed.

I started off as a youth fishing on canals and it's brought me into a long time relationship with them.

I've noticed, since the 70's, how many anglers have actually moved off the canals.

What nonsense we boaters can spout. Is this about only boaters can use the canal system or deserve to? .......................

No, it's not.

As usual you put your own spin on an open question in order to be superior.

I asked the original question because I'm attempting to compile a paper on income versus overheads.

Part of which uses Inland Waterways as a model.

No, it's not.

As usual you put your own spin on an open question in order to be superior.

I asked the original question because I'm attempting to compile a paper on income versus overheads.

Part of which uses Inland Waterways as a model.

I think Churchward was replying to post #11?

The genuine fishermen are a welcome sight on the canals it again is the minority who cause the upset.I would assume that CRT probably make a loss on the fishing side as they are not very business minded.

Would CRT not give this information to you in an email? Could be worth asking if it is for a real reason and not just a moan about fisherfolk.

Would CRT not give this information to you in an email? Could be worth asking if it is for a real reason and not just a moan about fisherfolk.

I very much doubt they have that information. They probably know the total income from people who lease water space from them but I doubt they could break that down to individuals or small groups of individuals.

Some of what you say is true. Commercial fisheries certainly offer better prospects to catch a large bag of fish. I'd disagree with your comment about cormorants though. Cormorants are shy birds, they rarely tolerate humans being close to them. I've seen an odd cormorant or two on the canals but never in the plague like numbers you often see on large lakes and bigger rivers.

The canals offer some very interesting prospects for the more thoughtful angler, prepared to work a little harder then he'd need to on an overstocked commercial fishery. I fish probably 200 times a year, I rarely venture from the canal.

Some of what you say is true. Commercial fisheries certainly offer better prospects to catch a large bag of fish. I'd disagree with your comment about cormorants though. Cormorants are shy birds, they rarely tolerate humans being close to them. I've seen an odd cormorant or two on the canals but never in the plague like numbers you often see on large lakes and bigger rivers.

The canals offer some very interesting prospects for the more thoughtful angler, prepared to work a little harder then he'd need to on an overstocked commercial fishery. I fish probably 200 times a year, I rarely venture from the canal.

You want to boat through the Colne Valley early morning.

There are Cormorants working the canals every single time I go out.

I saw three yesterday and that was cos I was only out later.

Note whilst moored for days in Little Venice, the Cormorants worked the pool every morning - cant be that shy!

Edited by mark99

What nonsense we boaters can spout. Is this about only boaters can use the canal system or deserve to? It is very tribal to think only the group you belong to is contributing enough and deserve to use the canals.

The fact is the boaters license is only a proportion of CRT's income of around 30% less depending on how you work it out. I am not saying boating is subsidised but that there are other significant sources of income.

CRT do receive income from angling clubs and I know that some of those clubs also contribute volunteer labour to help improve towpaths from time to time.

The canal system is a National resource it doesn't just belong to boaters and we should be happy to share.

Happy to share yes, but not the VMs or lock landings

Phil

• Greenie 1

You want to boat through the Colne Valley early morning.

There are Cormorants working the canals every single time I go out.

I saw three yesterday and that was cos I was only out later.

Note whilst moored for days in Little Venice, the Cormorants worked the pool every morning - cant be that shy!

Interesting it must be a regional thing as like the other poster I don't often see Cormorants on the canals. I have seen a few on the Southern half of the Oxford but only where the canal runs near the river. I saw some on the Weaver last year too. Usually the largest fish hunter I see on the canal are Herons. They are fairly self regulating too as they like to command a territory of 2-3 miles of river/canal.