Anglers' financial contribution?

zenataomm

Featured Posts

No, it's not.

As usual you put your own spin on an open question in order to be superior.

I asked the original question because I'm attempting to compile a paper on income versus overheads.

Part of which uses Inland Waterways as a model.

Then I should take the guesswork out of your investigations and ask CRT. They do publish a breakdown of income Vs expenditure.

I don't think you can expect much help with your "research" if all you can do is offer abuse.

Re Cormorants. My observation is that they like to have still waters nearby as well as the canals/rivers too.

They work them all - maybe different times to coincide with least human footfall and they are really shy - always flap off when disturbed.

In the Colne Valley, they tend to roost in high tree's in un-penetrable woods or - islands where they fell safe I guess.

The better fishing in the Colne Valley canals coincides where most boats are as the cormorants do work the less busy spots more. An EA recent fish survey on the GU at Harefield showed low number of fish and some huge specimens - but a worrying lack of smaller "silver" fish. As a fisherman of many decades round that area I can state that the fishing (for roach, chub and bream) has declined massively and mostly the canals are deserted by fisherman.

Edited by mark99

Agreed.

I started off as a youth fishing on canals and it's brought me into a long time relationship with them.

I've noticed, since the 70's, how many anglers have actually moved off the canals.

You make a good point. Many people have had the seeds of an interest in canals sown by towpath activities such as angling etc. rather than directly boating including me.

Then I should take the guesswork out of your investigations and ask CRT. They do publish a breakdown of income Vs expenditure.

I don't think you can expect much help with your "research" if all you can do is offer abuse.

Gawd! ... it's you again.

You accuse us of spouting nonsense, claim my post is for a tribal selfish reason, and then claim it's me who's offering offence.

I tire of you and your thinly disguised attempts to be provocative, you're merely irksome in a weak yet slightly humorous way.

Gawd! ... it's you again.

You accuse us of spouting nonsense, claim my post is for a tribal selfish reason, and then claim it's me who's offering offence.

I tire of you and your thinly disguised attempts to be provocative, you're merely irksome in a weak yet slightly humorous way.

Don't reply then.

If CRT are making around half a million a year from angling without doing much that they wouldn't otherwise be doing anyway, then I think that's a reasonable amount for what is only a very minor inconvenience for boaters and other users.

The anglers I've seen never seem to be too worried about passing boats, in fact my brother (like myself, never an angler) has a theory that sometimes they like a boat to go past because it gets the fish moving about and improves the chance of making a catch. At worst I find that anglers can appear a bit unsociable ignoring us, but I think that's just them concentrating on the fish?

Does anyone know, do anglers prefer boats to go by slowly so as not to stir the mud too much, or quickly so they can resume fishing sooner?

If CRT are making around half a million a year from angling without doing much that they wouldn't otherwise be doing anyway, then I think that's a reasonable amount for what is only a very minor inconvenience for boaters and other users.

The anglers I've seen never seem to be too worried about passing boats, in fact my brother (like myself, never an angler) has a theory that sometimes they like a boat to go past because it gets the fish moving about and improves the chance of making a catch. At worst I find that anglers can appear a bit unsociable ignoring us, but I think that's just them concentrating on the fish?

Does anyone know, do anglers prefer boats to go by slowly so as not to stir the mud too much, or quickly so they can resume fishing sooner?

To me it does not make any difference where they go and what speed, I have never had a boat go past slower than walkng speed or much faster than say 6mph/knts.

I usually fish tight to the far or near bank so its not that big a problem. I used to fish Skipton eveyy weekend, basin and castle branch, when boats went past it brought on the fishing as it stirs up the bottom and feed. Got the Bream going mad :)

I think it depends on the circumstance and water conditions and dare say the whim of the angler to try and change their luck.

I normally attempt to go slowly down the middle but have been asked (the water was gin clear) to "gun the engine a bit" to stir up the silt when we were going up the Erewash canal.

Anglers want you to go faster, to stir up the fish,

Go slower to avoid disturbing the fish,

Towpath side to avoid the best swim,

Offside to avoid the best swim.

Unfortunately, with a 70+ft boat, you tend to be given the relevant information when you are about 75ft away from the angler!

George ex nb Alton retired

The canal system is a National resource it doesn't just belong to boaters and we should be happy to share.

It seems that I can only give you one greenie but that deserves a few more. I'm even happy to share the canals with responsible cyclists.

As a fisher "person" myself i have noticed a large decline in fishermen along our canals and rivers, they tend to now go for the "mud holes" where they are guaranteed to catch fish all day long for a price, yes they still have competitions but not to the extent that they used to years ago.

As a fisher "person" myself i have noticed a large decline in fishermen along our canals and rivers, they tend to now go for the "mud holes" where they are guaranteed to catch fish all day long for a price, yes they still have competitions but not to the extent that they used to years ago.

sign of times for years now, i hate commercial fisheries, lot less skill like than natural fisheries and the likes. put some of them on a river and see how they go on.

My local fisherie was great untill the owner turned it more into a commercial. not been for years now

The numpties at the commercials keep the proper rivers and canals free for us lot smile.png

lol very true, maybe thats why last year i got the best peg a few times and done a PB three times in a day with a 6lb then near 8lb and then over 9lb Barbel :) i will leave them commercial lads to it :)

What constitutes a Commercial then?

You're the last person I'd take advice from on manners

It's a bit difficult to define the term exactly. There have always been farm ponds and the like where the farmer charges a couple of quid a day to fish. Often the fishing is poor. These would probably not be classed as commericals.

I'd suggest a water would be known as a commercial if it has most of the following:

1/ Excavated, rather than being natural

2/ Comfortable fishing platforms

3/ Easy access with parking very close to the lake/s

4/ Overstocked, usually with carp, to the extent that it's almost impossible not to catch.

5/ A very long list of rules.

What constitutes a Commercial then?

You're the last person I'd take advice from on manners

As Rico says really, they are fisheries dug for the only reason to cram with fish,Either Carp or F1, at times Barbel and silvers. Not a great deal of skill needed towards a natural lodge/river. It is that easy they have so many rules on bait, amount used, even types of bait you can and cant use etc etc.

As Rico says really, they are fisheries dug for the only reason to cram with fish,Either Carp or F1, at times Barbel and silvers. Not a great deal of skill needed towards a natural lodge/river. It is that easy they have so many rules on bait, amount used, even types of bait you can and cant use etc etc.

some won't even let you take your own bait, you have to buy it from their shed/shop.

Thanks for that everyone, I've always wondered why anglers congregated to a navigation to fish instead of going where they won't be disturbed.

It struck me as a bit like a car club choosing to stage a rally in a shopping precinct during the New Year sales.

However fishing in one of these "Commercial" set ups must remove much of the basic appeal.