32" TV recommendation

swift1894

Featured Posts

Can't keep up with all the tvs at the moment esp with the row of numbers they put after the makers name which seems to be the norm nowadays (I'm currently looking for a dvd recorder and there even worse). However I think the current feeling amongst the critics/reveiwers is Samsung make the best tvs upto 40" or so and LG are currently leading in the bigger curved screen jobbies.

I am looking for a smart TV with free sat instead of free view with freetime this means it has a hard drive and holds I believe the last weeks programmes not found one below 40" yet , development is moving fast so case of keep looking .At present I have a 32" Samsung excellent picture and sound.

And I thought my 20" was large for a boat.:rolleyes:

Where does one stand/put a 32" TV on a narrowboat . Maybe the OP has a W/B

Frank

Mines a 28". Fits nicely on the wall on one of those brackets that swing (can't think of a better description for it). Basically flat on the wall when not in use and swing it out when your watching it

Mines a 28". Fits nicely on the wall on one of those brackets that swing (can't think of a better description for it). Basically flat on the wall when not in use and swing it out when your watching it

TV Bracket maybe? ;)

Just checking,

we are still talking about tvs,

;)

Rog

Yup, what YamYam said.

Bracket here:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190525316226?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Pretty solid for seven quid plus. OK bracket isn't stated as a requitement, but it's the neatest way of mounting it, 'cos the base on my 27" is about 5 ins deep. Worth thinking about...

27" fits nicely on the boat. I have a 32" at home as a monitor and it's only a couple of inches all round bigger than the 27 incher AND the sound is much better. The former's sound is not very good on HD channels (?why so - anyone know), so I got a Phirrips sound bar cheap - great!

Certainly the Samsungs we've got (use them as monitors for our PCs) do that job well with a good picture.

What's the latest state of art 32" TV?

A friend has a Samsung UE40H5000. It's 40" and only 2" deep. 45 watt, 66 kWh/annum.

Looks good to me but I'm open to suggestions

Would strongly recommend a 32 " Samsung LED smart TV. Mines been superceeded twice now but still amazingly sharp picture. 30 watts consumption or 18 watts in ECO mode. Incredibly light and thin.

I regard 32" as the minimum for HD viewing and certainly not too large in a narrowboat if it can be folded away when not in use on a double cantilever mount.

And I thought my 20" was large for a boat.rolleyes.gif

Where does one stand/put a 32" TV on a narrowboat . Maybe the OP has a W/B

Frank

I have a 32" on my little boat. It fits nicely under the gunwales opposite my sofa.

Blimey I thought my eyes were getting bad.

Opposite the sofa???? 32"??

How near is the screen then to your eyes?

I just measured it as 138cm. According to this article my TV is the perfect size for my viewing distance: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Article/How-Far-Should-I-Sit.php

I already had the TV before I moved onto the boat and thought it would be too big, but once I put it there decided it was cool.

I just measured it as 138cm. According to this article my TV is the perfect size for my viewing distance: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Article/How-Far-Should-I-Sit.php

I already had the TV before I moved onto the boat and thought it would be too big, but once I put it there decided it was cool.

According to that website, if I want a tv near the front doors and watch it while at the dining table, I won't be able to get the tv in the boat.

Oh well! Hey ho! Each to their own.

Rob....

Looks like a Samsung is favourite.

Next problem.......there are 12 (!) 32" flat screen led Samsung TVs!!!!

What advantages does a smart TV have? I just want to watch satellite TV, play recordings through my Humax recorder, maybe have my iPad screen display on the TV screen ( via Chromecast?). I can't think of anything else I need, so do I need a "smart" version?

What advantages does a smart TV have? I just want to watch satellite TV, play recordings through my Humax recorder, maybe have my iPad screen display on the TV screen ( via Chromecast?). I can't think of anything else I need, so do I need a "smart" version?

Why not go to a TV shop and ask in there or e-mail them or ring?

We've got a 32" Samsung LED on the wall opposite the sofa, quite happy with it! I looked at Chromecast and decided it wouldn't work on a boat without a internet connected wifi network. In effect it doesn't mirror the image from you iPad to the screen, using the data on the iPad, instead it tells the Tv what is on the iPad and where to find it on the net, the Tv then finds this and displays it on screen. So, if you have a dongle, with a wifi router that both tv and iPad are connected too, Chromecast will work. If you iPad has a sim in it, or you are connected to a public wifi network, Chromecast won't work.

http://m.ebuyer.com/728005

Considering one of these as our little un keeps buggering about with the plastic screen and the front panel buttons on our current tv.

The Sony has a glass screen and buttons on the side hence my interest.

Cheapest from ebuyer with good reviews.

Norra lot of point having an HD capable TV with only 720p resolution - if course that may be a typo - eBuyer don't always get it rignt...

If you've got a Humax box - then probably you don't. Smart TVs are for the lazy folks who don't preplan their watching by recording in advance - which is what I assume you do on the Humax.

The smart bit connects to the internet to grab old programmes from various suppliers = what your iPad does.

Norra lot of point having an HD capable TV with only 720p resolution - if course that may be a typo - eBuyer don't always get it rignt...

Oh I don't know, my peepers are not 20/20, my hearing less than perfect and we don't have Murdoch Vision or Branson TV so not likely to miss out on much.

True HD cbeebies is a bit ostentatious!

If you've got a Humax box - then probably you don't. Smart TVs are for the lazy folks who don't preplan their watching by recording in advance - which is what I assume you do on the Humax.

The smart bit connects to the internet to grab old programmes from various suppliers = what your iPad does.

Lazy maybe but they don't need to plan viewing/recording since they can use the smart TV's catch up apps at their leisure smile.png

TBH its not going to be long before only only smart TV's with internet connectivity will be available.

On the subject of 32" TV's being too large for a narrowboat, please can anyone tell me how this installation intrudes on space. Note the cantilever mount is secured to a tapered patress to both spread the load (very little anyway) and counteract the tumblehome of the cabin sides.

post-13525-0-66919600-1453891199_thumb.jpg

Despite having only a 10 foot long saloon I still manage to view, when TV folded out towards front doors, from the recommended distance of nearly 9 feet away.