New Free standing lpg cooker wanted- recommendations sought

NB Lola

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Time has come for a new lpg cooker for our Narrowboat. Not too worried about dimension but up to 550 width is our main pre requisite. We prefer new, electric ignition 12v or 240, fsd, 4 hob burner, separate grill and oven and glass drop down lid, around £600. I am looking for experience based recommendations if there are any recent ones out there.

Many thanks in advance.

Just no contest

New World NW55TWLG

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/444445702/new-world-nw-55twlg-lp-444445702-70cm-lpg-gas-cooker?refsource=APadwords&crtag=AP&gclid=CjwKEAiAiZK1BRD509nPsYiUk2YSJAAMoAwCyLFv0RLqReArsqaso_nuMDfYwtlQYjMS7UtWvmU7NBoCojHw_wcB

Its what my dinner is coking in/on at the moment, DLW says its the best cooker she has had......

Only downside no glass drop down lid, for us that's not a problem as the kettle lives on it and it would slide off glass.

Edited by Loddon

When looking for a freestanding cooker LPG. Is there anything specific you should look for when fitting it to a boat.

No hijacking just yet lol, but I think we are asking similar questions, let it run and we may both get our dearest wish, cooked food!!
  • Greenie 1

When looking for a freestanding cooker LPG. Is there anything specific you should look for when fitting it to a boat.

Make sure that all burners have FFD and if you haven't got 230v the ignition system will run or can be converted to 12v.

Just to add dinner was again cooked to perfection

Edited by Loddon

We bought a New World & were unimpressed with the grill and also with their customer service; when I phoned and said that the grill was useless their Customer Service Advisor said "Yes they are, aren't they?".

We sold it and bought a Cannon; I would recommend it 100%

I love my domestic Hotpoint. Bargain because it's not a chandlery one, proper full size, AA battery ignition so that's easy and I got my local boatyard to change the nozzles to LPG. There's a thread on the forum I started about it a year or two ago. I bought it from AO and the service was excellent.

I love my domestic Hotpoint. Bargain because it's not a chandlery one, proper full size, AA battery ignition so that's easy and I got my local boatyard to change the nozzles to LPG. There's a thread on the forum I started about it a year or two ago. I bought it from AO and the service was excellent.

Beware of buying a domestic cooker fore a boat, they are almost always 600mm deep front to back, whereas boat cookers are 500 or 550. Best to know this in advance rather than find your galley layout won't cope with a new cooker possibly up to 100mm deeper than the old one!

AO offer great pricing and the option to look for LPG cookers, have purchased most of my stuff from them for Vidar.

Only problem i have come up against is the plumbers refusing to fit them if they state not to be used in a basement or boat in the manual.

Plumber???

Beware of buying a domestic cooker fore a boat, they are almost always 600mm deep front to back, whereas boat cookers are 500 or 550. Best to know this in advance rather than find your galley layout won't cope with a new cooker possibly up to 100mm deeper than the old one!

Yes. I measured my old one so knew exactly what was needed. My Hotpoint fits perfectly. The AO website gives all the tech specs of loads of different cookers so it's easy to compare and refine your search.

Edited to add: think this is my one. At £289 plus the small cost of LPG nozzles it was way cheaper than any of the others I looked at and met all my criteria (full sized grill and oven, right external dimensions for my galley, oven door hinged to the left not the bottom, not white, twin cavity and LPG convertible) Not sure if AO still stock it. http://www.debenhamsplus.com/DE_Hotpoint_Appliances_Cookers_Gas_30030447/version.asp?refsource=DEadwords&crtag=DE&gclid=Cj0KEQiArJe1BRDe_uz1uu-QjvYBEiQACUj6oiCjWXfW0a0eD1i_AJPVOVgi3kjZ4QJjuY_n7QTsZGsaAj998P8HAQ

Edited by BlueStringPudding

AO.com

Appliances online supplier. Super service, very fast delivery, on time and took away the old appliance. No sneaky hidden costs and very tight delivery window - no waiting at home half a day. Even phoned before they got here. I was very impressed and would use them again

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Yes. I measured my old one so knew exactly what was needed. My Hotpoint fits perfectly. The AO website gives all the tech specs of loads of different cookers so it's easy to compare and refine your search.

Edited to add: think this is my one. At £289 plus the small cost of LPG nozzles it was way cheaper than any of the others I looked at and met all my criteria (full sized grill and oven, right external dimensions for my galley, oven door hinged to the left not the bottom, not white, twin cavity and LPG convertible) Not sure if AO still stock it. http://www.debenhamsplus.com/DE_Hotpoint_Appliances_Cookers_Gas_30030447/version.asp?refsource=DEadwords&crtag=DE&gclid=Cj0KEQiArJe1BRDe_uz1uu-QjvYBEiQACUj6oiCjWXfW0a0eD1i_AJPVOVgi3kjZ4QJjuY_n7QTsZGsaAj998P8HAQ

BHS Direct is cheaper https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Hotpoint+HAG51K

Just no contest

New World NW55TWLGhttp://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/444445702/new-world-nw-55twlg-lp-444445702-70cm-lpg-gas-cooker?refsource=APadwords&crtag=AP&gclid=CjwKEAiAiZK1BRD509nPsYiUk2YSJAAMoAwCyLFv0RLqReArsqaso_nuMDfYwtlQYjMS7UtWvmU7NBoCojHw_wcB

Its what my dinner is coking in/on at the moment, DLW says its the best cooker she has had......

Only downside no glass drop down lid, for us that's not a problem as the kettle lives on it and it would slide off glass.

We have one of those. As the cook, I agree, it's very good indeed. SWMBO, however, complains bitterly that the enamel of the hob is too soft and scratches even with non-stick scourers. It's essential to clean it after every use and not let stuff build up on it.

We have one of those. As the cook, I agree, it's very good indeed. SWMBO, however, complains bitterly that the enamel of the hob is too soft and scratches even with non-stick scourers. It's essential to clean it after every use and not let stuff build up on it.

I read this aloud and got an incredulous look!

DLW cleans it after every use so no need for scourers.

I neither cook or clean, my duties are more sanitary.

Measure, measure, measure....

I measure everything thats coming into the boat to ensure it will fit through gaps, dont just assume 50cm is ok...

Now if only i had followed this advice when i ordered by 60cm cooker, had to remove some wood to get it from bedroom to kitchen. Plonker!

I found initial listed price almost irrelevant when you add up additional costs like delivery and taking away the old appliance. I looked into this very closely at the time and AO gave the best all round price.

I found initial listed price almost irrelevant when you add up additional costs like delivery and taking away the old appliance. I looked into this very closely at the time and AO gave the best all round price.

Very true, I only looked at the headline price.