"Yobs drill holes in canal boats" !

Québec

Featured Posts

From the Birmingham Mail:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/yobs-drill-holes-canal-barges-10679960#ICID=FB-Birm-main

A barge owner has been forced to flee his mooring by vandals sinking boats on the canal network.

Martin Taylor quit his mooring at Bissett, near Alvechurch , after seeing a boat sink before his eyes.

The 59-year-old said vandals drilled holes into the hulls of boats on the canal network to deliberately sink them.........

A number of holes in this story, methinks.

Even so, they have to get below the waterline.

They are drilling through 6mm plate. A rechargeable is not going to do too many holes, even if it doesn't short out in the water and using a mains drill could be fun.....................or are we talking tupperware or wood?

George ex nb Alton retired

As said, while if you had a vendetta against someone a 10mm hole just below the waterline with a cordless at 3am would be one option, it doesn't sound like a fast/easy way to sink a boat nor 'good fun' for your average yob?

Daniel

Would anyone who does know how to drill a hole through steel below the waterline please refrain from posting the details?

I suppose maybe it could be done with the right tools, but please don't go giving vandals detailed ideas on how to sink boats; most of them are probably pretty stupid/ignorant people and may struggle to work it out for themselves.

To anyone thinking of attempting this, may I offer a couple of pointers?

You need a mains drill to get enough power.

The drilling will generate lots of heat, so to cool the bit you need to be in a fast flowing river, on the side of the boat away from the bank.

What could possibly go wrong?

Since I'm a regular in terms of mooring somewhere near Alvechurch when ascending or descending Tardebigge, where exactly is Bissett? It rings no bells with me, Google doesn't know and it's not in Nicholson's.

My guess would be it's a mistake and refers to the linear moorings at Bittell Reservoir.

JP

From the Birmingham Mail:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/yobs-drill-holes-canal-barges-10679960#ICID=FB-Birm-main

A barge owner has been forced to flee his mooring by vandals sinking boats on the canal network.

Martin Taylor quit his mooring at Bissett, near Alvechurch , after seeing a boat sink before his eyes.

The 59-year-old said vandals drilled holes into the hulls of boats on the canal network to deliberately sink them.........

I call Victor Meldrew!

Drill down at a slight angle - drill bit below the water line with drill above the water line.

Or

Get a right angled drill accessory.

water will dribble in, as the boat fills up the hull will get lower and the hull fill faster

Or stand in the bow and drill from the inside out.......

job done, no wrecked drill, no cold wet hands, not even likely to get soggy feet!

Under water?

who said it had to be from outside going in, would be far easier to lift a cover and attack from inside (assuming cruiser or semi-trad)

as others have said a decent (not B&D) cordless would have no problems knocking holes through steel plate (I know the bosch one I use would probably manage about 30 10mm holes in a baseplate before the battery gave out)

The good old Birmingham Mail rarely reports anything correctly. First of all the location is Bittel (long term moorings) ​not Bissett. This is not a recent incident. I heard it as a rumour at the beginning of December. I was told that a fibreglass cruiser was broken into and a hole drilled below the waterline as a deliberate act of sabotage.This is on residential offside moorings with no public access. Another boat was set alight and sunk at the same location last year. It was re-floated and sank again. . There was some talk of a vendetta being waged at the time although I obviously can't confirm this. What I can say is that vandalism to boats in this area is rare in my experience.

• Greenie 1

Drill down at a slight angle - drill bit below the water line with drill above the water line.

Or

Get a right angled drill accessory.

water will dribble in, as the boat fills up the hull will get lower and the hull fill faster

Surely the bilge pump will chuck it out just as fast as it dribbles in...

Would anyone who does know how to drill a hole through steel below the waterline please refrain from posting the details?

I suppose maybe it could be done with the right tools, but please don't go giving vandals detailed ideas on how to sink boats; most of them are probably pretty stupid/ignorant people and may struggle to work it out for themselves.

Its all ready on. A good cordless.

Most have the electronic speed controller potted in epoxy. Motor and battery won't mind too much.

Else as said, well deck, drill from the inside.

I will take a while and be boring as sin, but not impossible or hours.

Daniel