New Licencing system rubbish

matty40s

Featured Posts

I have successfully paid for licence online for last 5 or 6 years bar 1 where it was posted in from elsewhere.

It was a process that took less than 5 minutes.

BW and CRT have had the same email for me for the last 9 years now anyway.

I have gone online to do my 2016 licence and wasted the last hour and a half trying to register for a new system.

It either does not send me a new validation code, doesn't validate as it doesn't recognise code and email last sent, or comes back with system problem, our engineers are aware a dealing with it - yeah - on New Years Eve!!

I have done all the obvious like clearing cookies, only using latest generated validation code etc, but no joy.

So I have sent an email to Leeds and am now giving up.

Their site is experiencing problems, and yesterday was the biggest I think. I couldn't log in all day. I've logged in this morning, but it's still crying foul now and again.

It might pay to screenshot what your getting when attempting to get in. (evidence to show if they refuse early discount).

Edited by jenlyn

[quote name="alan_fincher" post="1729289" timestamp="1451639576"

So perhaps it is just as well CRT say they are no longer important to them!

Scanning through the posts

Are we saying, paper, license money, or us boaters no longer important to them?

Col

Which was why I always do it on the 31st Dec. It has always worked perfectly and simply before now.

Why should I deposit a grand in someone else's account a month early?

To get the early payment discount of course! But you don't need to pay up a month early, just do it before CRT offices close up for their xmas holiday.

That way if Something Goes Wrong, you still have a chance to speak to them and pay early over the phone.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Apologies Alan, Taking the last Sentence bit of a quote, couldn't resist

Earlier this year, getting a new licence was also a bit of a saga,

The CRT office were helpful and friendly, and sorted the logging in problem Was sorted in time.

But still received the discount, as it was a fault in their system.

Within 2 weeks were accused of licence forgery lol.

Happy new year all

Col

Which was why I always do it on the 31st Dec. It has always worked perfectly and simply before now.

Why should I deposit a grand in someone else's account a month early?

Because if you leave it until the last minute you risk not getting £100-ish of early payment discount. How much interest can you get in a month on £1000? A lot less than a fiver, I'll warrant!

Renewed my December-expiring licence in five minutes, on the 21st. No problem at all -- full marks to CRT.

I don't care what the paper "licence" looks like so long as CRT's computer says "yeah".

Because if you leave it until the last minute you risk not getting £100-ish of early payment discount. How much interest can you get in a month on £1000? A lot less than a fiver, I'll warrant!

Renewed my December-expiring licence in five minutes, on the 21st. No problem at all -- full marks to CRT.

I don't care what the paper "licence" looks like so long as CRT's computer says "yeah".

I would say you would be doing well to get £2.50 less tax as a months interest (say 3% pa gross). So whilst I am with the principle of not paying the money out early there is not a lot to be gained but not paying it before the Christmas break. Also most IT maintenance (like system upgrades) happens over holidays when the systems are not being used extensively, so you are likely to get service interruptions at this time in year with most organisations.

Early payment discount, great if you have the money, but if you are poor and don't have up front money you have to pay more than those more well off, not fair as I see it. I pay monthly as when I first got boat never had the dosh up front to pay , so I lose out, I know there is lots of examples of this in other spheres of life, but is it fair to penalise the less well off in these more enlightened days. The poorer pay morer.

You could always borrow on a 'pay day loan' and be charged 1500% interest.

Basically you are doing the same with C&RT at a much lower rate but costing more in admin. costs

I know it's tough, I have been there, maybe a little savings account would help, I know you are going to say I cannot save as I do not have enough money to live on.

Think about what you pay now per month, if you could save that amount each month then after twelve months you could get the discount and still have some savings to either squander or leave there to help with the next bill, insurance.

I am not criticising but some financial planning would help, even saving a little would help.

is it fair to penalise the less well off in these more enlightened days.

They aren't penalising the less well off they are trying to ensure they don't spend more than is necessary on admin. I am sure most businesses have customers who try not to pay or pay at the very last moment. By offering and early payment discount they are trying to reduce the administration of monthly payments and for the really bad payers the problems of teking one or two payments and then the payments stopping.

I know it feels like penalising and I do pay some things monthly rather than in one go but it isn't penalising it is incentivising. JUst my opinion and probably not popular.

• Greenie 2

Which still doesn't answer why change something when the original method was very simple and has worked perfectly for years.

The new system does seem much more comprehensive than the old one, once it is working properly for everyone. I got the details to register with the new system a month before the licence was due for renewal. The old system only let you renew your licence, I agree that did work well, but the new one lets you update your details yourself. For example when you renew your insurance you can update the details yourself rather than having to call CRT. That has to be more cost effective.

I had to save hard, as just before Christmas all my bills are due!

last month had to pay My quarterly mooring fees £562.00, car tax £230, car MOT £40, Boat Insurance £144.00 and over £744.00 for my boat licence fee! 7 months ago started self employment and have managed to pay my bills and live.

I have to say I phoned CRT to pay my mooring fees and they were most pleasant and the whole process was very easy. They lady I spoke to even phoned me back as I was low on credit on my mobile.

James.cheers.gif

I had to save hard, as just before Christmas all my bills are due!

last month had to pay My quarterly mooring fees £562.00, car tax £230, car MOT £40, Boat Insurance £144.00 and over £744.00 for my boat licence fee! 7 months ago started self employment and have managed to pay my bills and live.

I have to say I phoned CRT to pay my mooring fees and they were most pleasant and the whole process was very easy. They lady I spoke to even phoned me back as I was low on credit on my mobile.

James.cheers.gif

You're right.

Sadly the internet service needs something doing - so we all end up using the phone line which turns out to be really quite efficient.

After several frustrating days of trying to renew online last summer (found out on the phone it was only because they use a different BSC prefix than the one that kept defaulting to my application, time and time again!)....

So - if they want us to renew online, why these silly glitches that make us phone.............. or are they making something out of that?

Which still doesn't answer why change something when the original method was very simple and has worked perfectly for years.

The original method being of course a cheque in the post, sent in plenty of time to arrive before the deadline of 31st Dec...

You're right.

Sadly the internet service needs something doing - so we all end up using the phone line which turns out to be really quite efficient.

After several frustrating days of trying to renew online last summer (found out on the phone it was only because they use a different BSC prefix than the one that kept defaulting to my application, time and time again!)....

So - if they want us to renew online, why these silly glitches that make us phone.............. or are they making something out of that?

Who can explain that the 1000's of C&RT customer manage to renew , however only the few (myself included ) who haunt CWDF manage without any problems whilst the majority of CWDF or dare I say C&RT knockers have problems ?????

Just asking

Ray

All licences had a coloured strip, different colours for different years but to save money C&RT decided to stop printing them and used up old stock (green ones).

They do not now provide printed ones unless requested, they do send e-mails with the licence on them, that you print off yourself.

I didn't ask for posted copies of the licence and they sent me some anyway.

Who can explain that the 1000's of C&RT customer manage to renew , however only the few (myself included ) who haunt CWDF manage without any problems whilst the majority of CWDF or dare I say C&RT knockers have problems ?????

Just asking

Ray

Not knocking CArNT this time, Ray - they couldn't have been more helpful when I phoned.

However, the internet renewal was fraught with problems, as cited earlier.

Could it be possible that Matty is blocked from renewing on line as he is notionally under 'enforcement'?

I shouldnt have thought so, renewal email didn't say anything and I have been a long way this year - whether this was recorded by CRT is the next interesting question. I have also continued moving over the winters months(in a progressive journey I may add)

I shouldnt have thought so, renewal email didn't say anything and I have been a long way this year - whether this was recorded by CRT is the next interesting question. I have also continued moving over the winters months(in a progressive journey I may add)

You would not have received the renewal mail if you were being considered for enforcement.