Classic NBW

Ray T

Featured Posts

"It really seems to defeat the the whole purpose of a discussion forum. Why allow someone to post if you then prevent all further discussion?"

I'll leave the dear reader to guess from whence it came from.

Edited for Blackrose, which should have a capital "B" (blackrose) as in this case I believe it to be a proper noun.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

No replies where removed.

It's not unheard of for announcements to be made of forums, while more typically reserved for staff it appeared a reasonable action.

For all the faults there are in this site, I dint think the prevention of discussion is one of them.

Daniel

I'll leave the dear reader to guess from whence it came from.

Whence actually means from where or from what place; so what was said above was, "I'll leave the dear reader to guess from from whence it came from".

Whence implies a from already; so preceding it with from, which is commonly done, is redundant. This is the principal advantage of using a word like whence instead of just saying from where.

The error made above might be understandable as common but mistaken usage, but what the final "from" is doing in that sentence I have absolutely no idea. It's tautological extremism!

Edited by blackrose

Whence actually means from where or from what place; so what was said above was, "I'll leave the dear reader to guess from from whence it came from".

Whence implies a from already; so preceding it with from, which is commonly done, is redundant. This is the principal advantage of using a word like whence instead of just saying from where. The common error might be understandable as common but mistaken usage, but what the final "from" is doing in that sentence I have absolutely no idea.

Sorry, I will remove it.tongue.png

Whence implies a from already; so preceding it with from, which is commonly done, is redundant. This is the principal advantage of using a word like whence instead of just saying from where.

The error made above might be understandable as common but mistaken usage, but what the final "from" is doing in that sentence I have absolutely no idea. It's tautological extremism!

I don't know from whence all this came from, or to whither it's taking us to, but I thought this sort of thing was frowned on, like?

• Greenie 1

No replies where removed.

It's not unheard of for announcements to be made of forums, while more typically reserved for staff it appeared a reasonable action.

For all the faults there are in this site, I dint think the prevention of discussion is one of them.

Daniel

Don't think did prevent discussion to the best of my knowledge :)

What are we even talking about here?

The outside joke or lock

If a thread is locked for any reason, there is nothing in the forum rules to stop somebody starting another, provided that stays within the guidelines.

Exactly as occurred in the case he pontificates on, in fact.

Quite unlike "Victor's" blog, where the only stuff that is allowed to be posted is the stuff "Victor" allows to be posted.

Of course it is a total lie that any posts were taken down - none were - but lies hardly stand in their way, as we have firmly witnessed already.

Total hypocrisy, but no surprise whatsoever!

• Greenie 2

Do people actually go to it for news and comment or just as a source of ridiculous editorial laxness.

It's not just editorial laxness, is it? Not all the fantasy that is on there gets written by "Victor" - he is perfectly happy to use other people's fantasy as well.

NBW is reasonably good at keeping his ear on the pulse or his finger to the ground or whatever, so I often have a quick look to find out what might be going on, you do of course then need to search elewhere to find the truth!

................Dave

We're talking about at a website that is supposedly in the hands of a bunch of knowledgeable geezers.

Yet it's called "Narrowboat" a misspelt word that is supposed to refer to "Narrow Boat"

Then they refer to a historic ex working boat as a "traditional boat"

A bit like Picasso's Guernica being referred to as a bit of Abstractart

Thanks for reminding me why I don't bother looking at it regularly.

We're talking about at a website that is supposedly in the hands of a bunch of knowledgeable geezers.

Yet it's called "Narrowboat" a misspelt word that is supposed to refer to "Narrow Boat"

Then they refer to a historic ex working boat as a "traditional boat"

A bit like Picasso's Guernica being referred to as a bit of Abstractart

Thanks for reminding me why I don't bother looking at it regularly.

Modern boats are narrowboats, old boats are narrow boats.

I find it rather amusing that the o/p has previously posted regarding a CaRT press meeting stating that he will not enter into discussion on it. The post was pinned and locked.

Similarly, a post regarding a meeting between the Fincher family and CaRT was locked preventing discussion ...

Whilst I know that moderation is a thankless task, it is difficult to understand why discussion is prevented on a discussion forum.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

I find it rather amusing that the o/p has previously posted regarding a CaRT press meeting stating that he will not enter into discussion on it. The post was pinned and locked.

Similarly, a post regarding a meeting between the Fincher family and CaRT was locked preventing discussion ...

Whilst I know that moderation is a thankless task, it is difficult to understand why discussion is prevented on a discussion forum.

Start your own then. Simples.