Ramsgate .... cruiser is 42ft

Type of boat?

Draught?

Air Draught?

Beam?

Power?

Pictures?

A bit vague, otherwise.

If you are a complete newbie as you have said elsewhere, trying to take a boat from Ramsgate to London by sea and the Thames is likely to be a very bad idea unless supported by someone very expert in that field.

Not too many boats suitable to make that journey are then ideal cruisers to go on rivers like the Lee, so how much research have you done?

Edited by alan_fincher

A little more information would assist a reasonable answer.

Cruising yacht

Cruiser stern narrowboat

Cruiser stern widebeam

Details such as fibreglass or steel

Height above water line (Radar Arch etc etc)

Draft - (depth below the water line)

Even pictures would enable some discussion

Edit - great minds think alike.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

48698178.jpeg

Harvey Eastwood 8 berth 42 feet.

A boards Cruiser

Could it be this one ?

http://houseboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=452340

I wouldn't be keen on taking this out to sea and around to the Thames, load it onto a truck and drop it in nearer London.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

In my previous seagoing life, having done the trip from Chatham to Ramsgate numerous times, not always by choice as our destination was Oostende with Ramsgate being the Bolthole.

We used to average 12 hours from Chatham to Oostende. Thats in a boat with an engine that provided a cruising speed of 7 knots over the ground with no wide or tide.

Times from Chatham to Ramsgate varied between 6 and 8 hours, again depending on tide and if we could use the inshore passage (Gore Channel) when approaching Margate.

The advise to choose forecasted winds of force four and below is often stated but you will also need to plan the direction of the wind and tide as I have done the section from Sheppy to North Foreland on an outgoing tide with easterlies blowing force 4 and had waves breaking over our bow and drenching the wheelhouse.

Generally, the most lumpy bit is around the North Foreland and once clear of that things calm down as you head up the Thames Estuary.

Its more than doable in a Broads style cruiser provided you choose the right conditions and your happy with the servicability of the engine and fuel supply.

One trip I did in a 90' 100 yr old Dutch Barge was quite interesting. We left Neuiport in Belgium in a dead calm with the sea like a mill pond.

Halfway across the wind and sea picked up and we were bouncing around all over the place for several hours.

Finally got round North Foreland and all was calm and peacefull again all the way into Chatham. That particular crossing took just under 24 hours.

Approaching Broadstairs

12193539_10207540333734133_6820851412123

Edited by saltysplash

The picture two postings above is all you need to know as a novice?

I suppose you could make it a condition of sale that it's delivered to where you want it...... before you part with the money.

Got a mooring in London?

Edited by mark99

If its the one that has been linked to it may be possible for them to put it on a truck in stead of in the water for you. but that would mean you couldn't test anything before buying which is not a good idea. Probably the location is one of the reasons it looks a good buy. If will probably cost £2k -£3K to lift, launch and transport.

There's something very similar moored at Sandwich Marina on the Stour, I guess it got there by sea. Although the idea of doing it in a boat that you don't know, with an engine that may not be reliable, and with little experience does strike me as somewhat unsafe. My vote is with the rest of them, Thanet Way and the M2!

Enjoy your new boat!