Bradley Canal CRT Restoration Feasibility Study

springy

Featured Posts

Thanks Springy for bringing this to our attention.

Not only is it a report, the BCN Society say that C&RT are actually going to restore the canal !

http://bcnsociety.com/

I did a similar study (though amateurish and brief) for the BCNS in the mid 80's so it's great to see it might eventually come to fruition.

Yes it does look a relatively easy restore. Good though that is, it doesn't really open up a whole new route like the L&H would. I think it would be about as little used as the Walsall is. Mind you if it resulted in the Walsall and the existing bit of the WOL being dredged, that would be good! Not trying to put a dampener on but perhaps there are other higher priorities?

I read most of it when I got the email to BCNS members earier today, I thought it made interesting reading, and interesting that it is sponsered by CRT.

I think if restored it would encourage the route from Salford Junction to Wolverhampton via Tame Valley, particularly if secure moorings are provided, I agree not the same impact as L&H, but so much easier.

So who are Moss Naylor Young other than consultants?

Edited to add: I just twigged......

Edited by john6767

I read most of it when I got the email to BCNS members earier today, I thought it made interesting reading, and interesting that it is sponsered by CRT.

I think if restored it would encourage the route from Salford Junction to Wolverhampton via Tame Valley, particularly if secure moorings are provided, I agree not the same impact as L&H, but so much easier.

So who are Moss Naylor Young other than consultants?

Edited to add: I just twigged......

Perhaps I ought to change it to Magpie Naylor Young for the benefit of this forum!

It gives me a quite unreasonable thrill so see our work appear on this site...

Perhaps I ought to change it to Magpie Naylor Young for the benefit of this forum!

It gives me a quite unreasonable thrill so see our work appear on this site...

Glad I got it right. Great report. It was particularly interestng to see the costings, not what I would have guessed at all.

Excellent report, does the fact CRT have adopted it mean it is going to happen or just that they will investigate further? Love the idea of a lift bridge in that area, would add a whole new reason for people to visit to see it working. The local scrotes would need to be protected from its workings though. ;)

Excellent report, does the fact CRT have adopted it mean it is going to happen or just that they will investigate further? Love the idea of a lift bridge in that area, would add a whole new reason for people to visit to see it working. The local scrotes would need to be protected from its workings though. wink.png

Its really interesting to see that although the route will be open to navigation, the boating aspect isnt the driving force behind the plan. The real benefit will be to enhance a large area of land which is sort of stuck in a post industrial time warp. The reintroduction of a living canal would create a much more diverse wildlife corridor as well encouraging residential development. An additional boating route would be a bonus but the traffic volume expectations are realistically low. With progress happening on the L&H, the Selly Oak Arm about to be put into water and now this there is a lot of interesting restoration work happening in the region.

Took a walk from Bradley workshops down to the Walsall. It's a bit hard to see the line of the canal for the first bit, but after the corner you can see the terracing where the first few locks are, though there isn't really any sign of the locks themselves. Hopefully they remain intact under the infill. After the road bridge there are a couple of visible locks. Certainly doesn't look a particularly difficult restore apart from Bradley Lane, which incidentally seemed to have quite a bit of fast traffic considering it's Sunday. Anyway, it's worth a stroll, quite interesting.

A few piccies if anyone is interested:

post-9028-0-06563900-1447599554_thumb.jpeg

post-9028-0-23026800-1447599637_thumb.jpeg

post-9028-0-96094100-1447599843_thumb.jpeg

post-9028-0-09944300-1447599945_thumb.jpeg

Last one is jn with the Walsall

Edited by nicknorman

What's happening on the L&H Andy?

Richard

A second pound is nearly in water on Tamworth Road, plans are progressing to get through the Lichfield Cruising Club section, there is movement to get under the railway as part of a housing development scheme and then there is the new footpath section next to the M6 Toll aqueduct. Not bad for what was expected to be a quiet few years!

I know the Lichfield & Hatherton Canals is a prime candidate for restoration and its costings are £44.1m (2009 figures)............

What does £7.1m buy you, in terms of other potential canal restorations Nationwide? It seems to be a high figure given the potential returns here.

I know the Lichfield & Hatherton Canals is a prime candidate for restoration and its costings are £44.1m (2009 figures)............

What does £7.1m buy you, in terms of other potential canal restorations Nationwide? It seems to be a high figure given the potential returns here.

Although £7.1m of funding for this scheme, if it can be found, might not be eligible to be spent elsewhere.

The report mentions the short Bradley Marr Branch which was a private branch that descended to mines and ironworks through a staircase pair. It remains to be discovered if any element of these locks remain buried in the private land there. Though outside the remit of this restoration scheme, their former existence needs to be remembered. They were the first staircase on the BCN, even if in private hands and future archeological survey would be of use. Wilkinsons first iron furnace, and the first coke blast furnace in Staffordshire, at Lower Bradley was near the terminus of this short branch.

Ray Shill

• 3 months later...

just a quick heads up -

BRADLEY LOCKS RESTORATION
Everyone is welcome to attend an open meeting at 6.30 on 23rd March at Wilkinson Primary School, Walter Street, Bradley, WV14 8UR.
Find out about the benefits of the project as identified in the feasibility study and take part in the discussion on how we progress it.
from Brenda of the BCNS