Designated winter mooring spots.

kris88

Featured Posts

There are winter moorings on the stretch of canal through Zouch. Without carrying your water by hand there is no way to liveaboard on those moorings as the nearest water points are back on the river which is usually not the easiest (or safest) to navigate in the winter.

I'm in the Bulls Bridge area at the moment and there are winter moorings, as the newish sign post says, opposite Tesco's and some further up the Paddington Arm before Bridge 20 at Southhall, but well before the visitor moorings at that place.

There are two boats on moored opposite Tesco's and a great deal of empty space, the moorings before bridge 20 ae empty!

Both have no facilities except that the Tesco's moorings have a tap.

As a Constant Cruiser, is it permissible for me to use these winter moorings for a day or two, or if discovered, will I be hung at dawn?

Nipper

Edited by nipper

I'm in the Bulls Bridge area at the moment and there are winter moorings, as the newish sign post says, opposite Tesco's and some further up the Paddington Arm before Bridge 20 at Southhall, but well before the visitor moorings at that place.

There are two boats on moored opposite Tesco's and a great deal of empty space, the moorings before bridge 20 ae empty!

Both have no facilities except that the Tesco's moorings have a tap.

As a Constant Cruiser, is it permissible for me to use these winter moorings for a day or two, or if discovered, will I be hung at dawn?

Nipper

Yes, you can use them for up to 14 days but must move if someone with a permit for that site comes along. But, if there is so much space the latecomer shouldn't need for you to move.

Thank you, but why someone would want to moor at the Southall is anyones business.

Especially as just passed Willowtree Marina is a lovely park and very good moorings on the off side!

Nipper

Not a single paid up boat at Batchworth to Stockers at Rickmansworth on the Winter moorings. There is 250 metres set aside with a price of £13.50 a metre of boat length per month. It's as far away from the town and services as you can get , So I wonder why it's empty ? Just to add there is the C&RT work boat Spanner moored in the middle of the designated Winter moorings , I wonder if he has paid to be there !!

Why can't we just pay for a downloadable, printable ticket that says you've paid to overstay? Except VMs, water points and hotspots, obviously.

I'd be very happy to pay to overstay in places I like - but none of their 'winter moorings' are near to where I want to be!

Why can't we just pay for a downloadable, printable ticket that says you've paid to overstay? Except VMs, water points and hotspots, obviously.

I'd be very happy to pay to overstay in places I like - but none of their 'winter moorings' are near to where I want to be!

Perversely, most of the winter mooring sites here on the K&A are VMs re-designated. Perverse as it is generally quite difficult to moor on a lot of the general towpath on the eastern K&A due to the shallowness close to the bank and CRT's policy of not cutting back the towpath overgrowth except on VMs.

It seems to be a bit of a own goal for CRT, if marinas are cheaper or the same price. I sure a lot of cruisers would prefere to give there money to CRT instead of a private marina. But CRT's policy is making this uneconomical.

Regards kris

I may be wrong but I think that it is CRT policy to charge pretty much the same for moorings as marinas in the area charge. The argument being that as the department responsible for the waterway they shouldn't be making unfair competition with the commercial marinas.

Perversely, most of the winter mooring sites here on the K&A are VMs re-designated. Perverse as it is generally quite difficult to moor on a lot of the general towpath on the eastern K&A due to the shallowness close to the bank and CRT's policy of not cutting back the towpath overgrowth except on VMs.

One of the few things we liked about the K&A was the lack of proper moorings. It meant there were miles of peace if you're prepared to 'plank off' for a few days somewhere nice, then clamber aboard on a boarding ramp. Often, a potential mooring involved the missus hopping off in a bridge 'ole, with the bow rope, mallet and a couple of pins.

That way we got at least one line ashore but, after all the faff, we'd have a nice quiet place to ourselves for a few days.

Apart from the hooting bleedin' trains.

Walked along the Trent and Mersey just to the North of Stone. People who know this area will know about the new looking housing development on the off side.

Anyway, signs have been erected designating Winter Moorings. Like, it seems, the majority of these sites there are absolutely no facilities nearby. About a mile walk to Stone centre. There is a winding hole but these moorings are just past it. Or before it, depending which way you're travelling.

There were no boats mooring within the zone.

Martyn

This is what CRT proposed at the CRT-association meeting in July.

I did ask how they had come to produce these particular sites. The reply was "we monitored the most popular sites being used by permit holders last Winter."

"""Winter Moorings

Sian Ferry (SF) displayed a map of the 185 winter mooring sites for 2015 / 15.

Points clarified were:

 All sites are fixed, are a mix of towpath and visitor mooring sites and

where on a vm site, winter moorings will only occupy upto 50% of the

mooring.

 Go on sale 1st October. Permits from 1 month to 4 months, in monthly

increments

 No winter moorings in central London. This is to ensure we don’t clog this

particularly popular area plus we have had some enquiries from local

planning authorities which we need to be mindful of

 Pricing will be based on the nearer long term mooring prices – charging

10% per meter per month. Some sites with high level of facilities or are in

very popular areas may be charged at a higher rate

 RP explained that the mooring permits end in February for a variety of

reasons including Easter in March, stoppages finish 11 March and longer

days mean the system can be accessed safely

 We will circulate the map and press release when they go out""""

There's a hidden agenda. Without doubt in my mind.

As I've said, and indeed many others, why on earth would you pay a lot of money to do something you already can?

Nonsense.

Will be interesting what is said next year. Something like, "The take up last year was so minimal, therefore it has been decided not to allocate winter mooring sites."

We are just outside Stone at present, moving today, and perhaps four or five boats aday have passed us. Not particularly busy, as CRT will have us believe.

I'm not a CRT basher but why does this seem to be an exercise to annoy?