Newbold water point

Mike J.E.W

Featured Posts

Braunston to Newbold is a regular short trip for us ,nice run, good pub ,bit limited moorings at Newbold but .......

Why ever time we go is there a boat moored on the water point , if its not a day boat its a hire boat , last weekend day boat moored on it guy trying to stop for water ,spoke to him and went to pub found hire peeps having lunch asked them to move got told I could bloody wait until they have finished .

Hmmm went and told the other boat and offered to put day boat adrift but he moved off .............

went back to pub for drink stumbled as I passed their table a knocked beer all over gobby guy oppps

If there is nobody in attendance I would just breast up to the moored boat in order to use the water point. Yes I know it is pretty narrow there and on a bit of a bend so I suppose for that particular water point it may not be an easy option, but my point is really for water points in general. Putting the boat adrift is a very tempting option but ultimately it will mostly inconvenience other people trying to get past.

Maybe we need to get some very sticky stickers that say "selfish git, moors on water points" to slap on, like those ones that they used to (maybe still do) put on car windscreens when you have parked somewhere naughty. They take hours to get off properly.

Edited by nicknorman

Braunston to Newbold is a regular short trip for us ,nice run, good pub ,bit limited moorings at Newbold but .......

Why ever time we go is there a boat moored on the water point , if its not a day boat its a hire boat , last weekend day boat moored on it guy trying to stop for water ,spoke to him and went to pub found hire peeps having lunch asked them to move got told I could bloody wait until they have finished .

Hmmm went and told the other boat and offered to put day boat adrift but he moved off .............

went back to pub for drink stumbled as I passed their table a knocked beer all over gobby guy oppps

thus demonstrating that you are an even bigger w****r than they were

well done you

On our trip up north we arrived at Newbold after dark and moored up outside the Barley Mow. It wasn't until we arrived back to the boat after a beer in said hostelry that I realised we were moored on the water point.

I set the alarm for 6.30 am and moved off the water point as soon as I could in the morning, I apologise to anybody I might have inconvenienced but I am pretty sure that nobody would have needed it after we moored and I am certain that nothing came by before I moved.

On the subject of the Barley Mow I love the piano in the gents toilet complete with piano stool

On our trip up north we arrived at Newbold after dark and moored up outside the Barley Mow. It wasn't until we arrived back to the boat after a beer in said hostelry that I realised we were moored on the water point.

I set the alarm for 6.30 am and moved off the water point as soon as I could in the morning, I apologise to anybody I might have inconvenienced but I am pretty sure that nobody would have needed it after we moored and I am certain that nothing came by before I moved.

On the subject of the Barley Mow I love the piano in the gents toilet complete with piano stool

I don't know when you were there but there is no piano (nor room for one) in the gents now. Mind you, the Barley Mow is considerably changed since its takeover of the Boat.

Frank.

Was that in case you fancied a tinkle ?

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Edited to remove double post

Edited by Jamboat

Just tie alongside, its only for 10 minutes, not a problem.

Only 10 minutes! We were moored on the last mooring before Union Wharf at market Harborough. The visitor moorings there, about a dozen of them IIRC are copiously supplied with bollards(!) and a water point between each pair. The water point near to us was so slow that we had time to have lunch and install the double glazing before we were full to overflowing. Just two hours it was.

N

When we came through Newbold about 2 weeks ago the only boat on the water point was filling with water and nearly all the visitor moorings were empty

I bet that wasn't at 5pm or later!

I came past a week ago looking to moor and have dinner in the pub. After having to almost stop in the tunnel due to some numpty ahead of me thinking he could moor up in the entrance to the tunnel, I spent the next 20 minutes trickling past an endless line of moored boats for nearly a mile all the way up to the turn into Rugby Wharf.

I gave up and went through to Hillmorton Locks where the only space was on the 2 water points. Decided to not moor there even just for overnight and moved back round the bend and stopped there.

Was that on Sunday afternoon?

The Barleymow was a right shambles last Sunday afternoon. Boats were moored all the way up to the open bit in front of it, and as we were trying to go through the bridge a hire boat came in and started mooring up right on the edge of the other side of the bridge directly outside the pub and on the edge of the bridgehole. We got through whilst a boat coming the other way (and about three others behind them) held back, but were then left in total logjam as the hireboat was trying to moor in the only space to pass!

They were getting a bit snitty about why everyone was tutting and frowning at them and shouting about what t### they were without really knowing why it was happening... I pointed out as politely as I could why mooring there was not going to work out for them, and they did duly move on, but it must have taken a while for all of the assorted mess of boats going both ways and having drifted across the cut while waiting to get sorted out after we went through!

Edited by DHutch

In fairness, the water point at Newbold isn't as well marked as most and the water point itself isn't very prominent, I've seen many boaters make the same mistake.

Was that on Sunday afternoon?

The Barleymow was a right shambles last Sunday afternoon. Boats were moored all the way up to the open bit in front of it, and as we were trying to go through the bridge a hire boat came in and started mooring up right on the edge of the other side of the bridge directly outside the pub and on the edge of the bridgehole. We got through whilst a boat coming the other way (and about three others behind them) held back, but were then left in total logjam as the hireboat was trying to moor in the only space to pass!

They were getting a bit snitty about why everyone was tutting and frowning at them and shouting about what ###s they were without really knowing why it was happening... I pointed out as politely as I could why mooring there was not going to work out for them, and they did duly move on, but it must have taken a while for all of the assorted mess of boats going both ways and having drifted across the cut while waiting to get sorted out after we went through!

It was Thursday 10th but your description sounds very similar to my experience.

Edited by DHutch

Be careful if you are deep drafted of mooring on thr moorings just through the tunnel. If the canal drops slightly over night you end up pivoting presume ably on an old coping stone. Took a while and 3 large walkers to bounce us off earlier this year.