Another sunk boat gets help

Boaty Jo

Featured Posts

But how would we react to this sad story, if that other suspicious guy hadn't tried it on (Crowd fund appeal)

And that's the Big problem, one chancer has ruined any chance of other people helping out what could be genuine folks in need.

Col

Edited by bigcol

This happened a couple of months before paypals sinking. We all tried to contact her, no answer, I even rang RCR on her behalf when we still could not contact her, because her engineer asked me to but they wouldnt do anything to help as I wasnt her. She was an rcr member, but I have no idea about her insurance, maybe contents were not covered? I dont know her - only online. The sad thing is loads of people passed the boat when it was still floating, it couldve been saved - weve had to push boats off ledges and piling rails before, to save them, shame there was no one around willing to save this one.

We have had a lot of boats go down of late, mostly because people dont understand if they moor on a river it might flood. I'm told that the boat was moored bottom of ducketts, i.e the lower lee, the water went up in the rains, pushing the boat over a ledge. The boat sank when the water went down a the boat tipped over on the ledge and water flooded in through an unconnected skin fitting. The boat had been amateur refitted by the previous owner and they hadnt blocked this up. As shes new to boating she probably didn't know this.

I don't think this was intended to be a greed driven crowdfund like paypals was, it genuinely was set up by her friends, so I wouldnt feel comfortable attacking her. I suppose now this has appeared in the Fail shes gonna get a character assassination anyway ( what were they thinking putting this in there?) Shes gonna need the boat to be sound enough for fully comp and commercial and liability insurance if she wants to trade and have clients onboard though.

Edited by Lady Muck

We river lee old timers are constantly trying to warn noobs that its not smart to leave a boat on a river navigation that is known to flood then go on holiday. I fear most people getting injured by other peoples boats, two huge dutch barges this year, moored on pins, came free, they can cause serious damage.

While many people seem to feel sorry for someone who's boat has sunk with no insurance I wonder how they would feel if the same boat hit theirs causing expensive damage while not insured.

Not sure about that - if she had normal 3rd party she should be covered for recovery after sinking. She must have had some insurance (and had RCR cover as well) as she'd need BSS for her licence, I presume. I've only got 3rd party, so would be covered if I clonked someone but it wouldn't cover contents or refitting the tub.

I'd have more sympathy if she wasn't studying homeopathy, which you can't actually do in any real way without realising it's a fraud. I'd have even more sympathy if my boat hadn't been on the point of sinking last week and it was sher luck I spotted the leak in time - still costing me seven grand for replating and I suspect i may not go to crowdfunding for it but will stump up myself. Mind you..

Actually, I do wonder how many people pledge money but never send it. Anyone done any of this sort of thing, charity gigs or whatever, and know if this happens, or do you have to send the dosh and have proof of it before it shows up on he page?

While many people seem to feel sorry for someone who's boat has sunk with no insurance I wonder how they would feel if the same boat hit theirs causing expensive damage while not insured.

Maybe like me her boat is not insured but she has 3rd party and public liability a requirement for a licence

Maybe like me her boat is not insured but she has 3rd party and public liability a requirement for a licence

Thank would be my assumption. In the absence of any facts it seems fair to give her the benefit of the doubt. The boat is afloat and she's dealing with it. some support for that would be good rather than a Mail-alike pack of hounds.

I always feel sorry for some one whose boat sinks and I'm not nasty enough to criticise another persons beliefs even if I'm not sure how they work.

I hope that enough money comes in through the crowd fund to get things sorted. We've all been young and made wrong decisions and I wish the lass all the best for the future.

I've had third party only insurance while waiting to get work done .

Genuine question here, I understand that narrowboats can be cilled in locks, or spring a leak due to corrosion or a collision, but how can a boat on a canal be sunk by a few days of heavy rain? I'm not being judgemental, just feel it is something I should be aware of in future?

As Lady Muck said.....it ain't a canal its a navigable river (by that I mean it goes up and down a lot......and very quickly!)

eta...Lady Muck of course said it much more elegantly smile.png

Edited by John V

Genuine question here, I understand that narrowboats can be cilled in locks, or spring a leak due to corrosion or a collision, but how can a boat on a canal be sunk by a few days of heavy rain? I'm not being judgemental, just feel it is something I should be aware of in future?

Read ladymuck's postings

From Post #6

We have had a lot of boats go down of late, mostly because people dont understand if they moor on a river it might flood. I'm told that the boat was moored bottom of ducketts, i.e the lower lee, the water went up in the rains, pushing the boat over a ledge. The boat sank when the water went down a the boat tipped over on the ledge and water flooded in through an unconnected skin fitting. The boat had been amateur refitted by the previous owner and they hadnt blocked this up. As shes new to boating (not even a year) she probably didn't know this.

It was moored on the river.

Cheers

Edit: Must learn to type faster ! :-)

Edited by nine9feet

I do have sympathy for her, why not, it must have insurance as said before, it was her home, and what ever beliefs she has does not have anything to do with it, i dont believe in god, i believe once ded thats it, but in aliens i do.

If folk want to help her out then good on them, i would go and help her out if i could with mending the boat.

dont be so critical, we all cock up at times and need help.

I do have sympathy for her, why not, it must have insurance as said before, it was her home, and what ever beliefs she has does not have anything to do with it,)( we all cock up at times and need help.

True enough, and it was started by her friends, which says a lot for her. Not the same as the other one. Rivers are scary... if i sounded meanspirited, I'm sorry (mind you, her therapy stuff's still rubbish!).