What a waste.

ROBDEN

Featured Posts

I haven’t seen my sister for a few years so went to stay at her house for a couple of days.

She won’t come to see me, I’m the acentric one “wot lives on a barge,” and she may get sea sick….yeah right.

I hadn’t realised or forgot, how much people waste.

At least two tvs on (in different rooms) with the sound off, playing to no one and lights on in

unoccupied rooms.

The washing machine is used every day, even if it’s only for half a dozen pairs of knickers.

A full bowl of water for washing up, three or four times a day, even for a couple of plates, cups and saucers.

After dinner everything goes into the dishwasher, after first rinsing everything under hot running water.

As for the toilet, I don’t know how many times that was flushed, even for a couple of drips.

When I told her that a lot of boaters use the old adage of “If it’s yellow let it mellow, if it’s brown flush it down” I thought she was going to throw up.

Anyway. She’s happy in her world and I’m more than happy in mine.

But still, what a waste.

Rob….

True. But I think, living on a boat, if only for a couple of weeks, could make you think about it.

Rob....

Indeed.

We have found we are far less wasteful at home since having the boat. It does make you more aware of the resources you consume.

I haven’t seen my sister for a few years so went to stay at her house for a couple of days.

She won’t come to see me, I’m the acentric one “wot lives on a barge,” and she may get sea sick….yeah right.

I hadn’t realised or forgot, how much people waste.

At least two tvs on (in different rooms) with the sound off, playing to no one and lights on in

unoccupied rooms.

The washing machine is used every day, even if it’s only for half a dozen pairs of knickers.

A full bowl of water for washing up, three or four times a day, even for a couple of plates, cups and saucers.

After dinner everything goes into the dishwasher, after first rinsing everything under hot running water.

As for the toilet, I don’t know how many times that was flushed, even for a couple of drips.

When I told her that a lot of boaters use the old adage of “If it’s yellow let it mellow, if it’s brown flush it down” I thought she was going to throw up.

Anyway. She’s happy in her world and I’m more than happy in mine.

But still, what a waste.

Rob….

Hi,

Old adage, but will work out expensive - leaving urine to build up in ceramic WC pans causes the glaze to perish at and below the water line and the WC pan will never again clean properly.

l

What irks me is the almost complete lack of rubbish recycling opportunities there are around the system.

Having spent the last 5 weeks exploring the Thames, Wey Navigation and Grand Union Canal we have had to put glass bottles, tins, plastic and paper in with landfill rubbish.

What irks me is the almost complete lack of rubbish recycling opportunities there are around the system.

Having spent the last 5 weeks exploring the Thames, Wey Navigation and Grand Union Canal we have had to put glass bottles, tins, plastic and paper in with landfill rubbish.

We tend to find a supermarket whilst out and about to recycle what we can. They usually have recycling facilities in their car parks.

CRT have just announced a new contract with a recycling company, so expect in the coming months to see a lot more recycling bins appearing in waste comounds. I saw my first ones yesterday at Calverley services.

CRT have just announced a new contract with a recycling company, so expect in the coming months to see a lot more recycling bins appearing in waste comounds. I saw my first ones yesterday at Calverley services.

I saw this.....great if it is not abused.

I seem to remember that CRT, or perhaps their predecessors, tried this before but that the bins were abused by many boaters who just filled the recycling bins with any old rubbish.

Perhaps society has moved on now.......... I hope it works this time.

I raised this issue with Richard Parry at the Devizes meeting last year, and he said that they have had re-cylng facilities at some supervised locations for a while, and had tried introduciong them at some non supervised sites, but had problems with the bins being over used by the general public especially when they were much closer than the Local Authority sites.

However he agreed to look at the issue again, so credit to him for doing so.

I raised this issue with Richard Parry at the Devizes meeting last year, and he said that they have had re-cylng facilities at some supervised locations for a while, and had tried introduciong them at some non supervised sites, but had problems with the bins being over used by the general public especially when they were much closer than the Local Authority sites.

However he agreed to look at the issue again, so credit to him for doing so.

The abuse of CRT rubbish bins by jo public and not boaters is something that really used to annoy me. The one at Barnby Dun on the S&SYN was always the one that used to get most abuse as it was adjacent to housing and a road, plus it wasn't secured with a CRT key so any Tom, Dick or Harry just used to dump their rubbish in the skips.

Unless they find a way of better restricting access by Jo public then they will continue to have issues I'm afraid.

The abuse of CRT rubbish bins by jo public and not boaters is something that really used to annoy me. The one at Barnby Dun on the S&SYN was always the one that used to get most abuse as it was adjacent to housing and a road, plus it wasn't secured with a CRT key so any Tom, Dick or Harry just used to dump their rubbish in the skips.

Unless they find a way of better restricting access by Jo public then they will continue to have issues I'm afraid.

We found the bin compounds in Ely were a good idea with the EA keys to lock the lids down.

I saw this.....great if it is not abused.

I seem to remember that CRT, or perhaps their predecessors, tried this before but that the bins were abused by many boaters who just filled the recycling bins with any old rubbish.

Perhaps society has moved on now.......... I hope it works this time.

They've had to remove the recycling bins at the marina I moor at, because however many times they told people everyone kept putting the wrong rubbish in it.

Several in the past have been secured by a BW padlock, but they seem to get smashed off quite soon after they have been fitted, whther by members of the public, or a boater who has forgotten to take a key with them, I do not know. I raised this point with Richard Parry as well, and he acknowledged that without verty expensive security fencing etc it was a difficult issue to resolve.

It would be good if they publicised where they are. I didn't know there was some at Fradley and had already mixed the rubbish in a bin liner when I got there

It would be good if they publicised where they are. I didn't know there was some at Fradley and had already mixed the rubbish in a bin liner when I got there

Been there for quite a few years, and seems to work well, but it is quite difficult for the public to acess from the road, and it is supervised most of the time.

Hi,

Old adage, but will work out expensive - leaving urine to build up in ceramic WC pans causes the glaze to perish at and below the water line and the WC pan will never again clean properly.

l

Been doing it for years and the bowl still comes up white.

When leaving the "Yellow" I don't think it's meant for days. I think it's meant to save a few flushes.

However it probably depends on your system.

Mine has an electronic flush so I can empty with no flush and just flush occasionally.

I wonder if the point about recycling goes back to the number of local councils who haven't got a decent recycling scheme? The one in Stockport works very well.

Meanwhile back on a boat, we have a large recycling bag on board into which all recyclables (plastic, paper, card, metal, glass) goes after being rinsed if necessary. It then gets taken home to go into the domestic bins, which is when it gets sorted out.

It might not work for all people, but it certainly works for us.

I recycle almost everything i can..I take it to the tip weekly, consult with staff on any ?'s I may have(I think they kinda recognise me now) so I get bothered over lack of recycling at my Marina as only has skip for everything. At tip today i saw the staff going through peoples black "non recyclable rubbish" bags and yep full of recyclable items..I felt bit shocked.

I will welcome proper recycling on canals.

Also on qu of waste since having boat my wastage at Horror House so much less..dont change clothes so often, don't run water un necessarily..i cringe when family come to boat as they are not trained yet.

Indeed.

We have found we are far less wasteful at home since having the boat. It does make you more aware of the resources you consume.

Perhaps, but I take it you're including the boat itself in the resources you consume? I imagine the embedded energy used to produce your boat is significant, as well as resources used in running it.

It seems a tad ironic that some people who own a boat as well as a house seem to think they're using fewer resources than those who only have a house.

Edited by blackrose

I put my recyclable crap in a shopping bag and take it home.

So right-on, moi!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps, but I take it you're including the boat itself in the resources you consume? I imagine the embedded energy used to produce your boat is significant, as well as resources used in running it.

It seems a tad ironic that some people who own a boat as well as a house seem to think they're using fewer resources than those who only have a house.

I think it is the extra appreciation of just how much water, electricity and gas you use, and the fact that waste does not just go away by magic that makes you think a bit harder about what you use.

I fully agree that boating is not remotely eco friendly, but the greater awareness of your footprint can carry over into everything else you do, and this is in itself worthwhile.

I put my recyclable crap in a shopping bag and take it home.

So right-on, moi!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope it's a knitted lentil bag for life.

This is really a very strange thread.

As 12 months ago CRT announced that Biffa had entered into a new agreement and the bin waste would be taken to a waste management centre(s) and sorted into the various categories on site at its waste collection points.

I stopped separating bottles and paper/cardboard at this point and just bagged all wasteand binned it.

Perhaps Hoggy or LEO2Katherine missed the subsequent press release saying that this was now suspended and revert to previous.

I think it is the extra appreciation of just how much water, electricity and gas you use, and the fact that waste does not just go away by magic that makes you think a bit harder about what you use.

I fully agree that boating is not remotely eco friendly, but the greater awareness of your footprint can carry over into everything else you do, and this is in itself worthwhile.

Yes I agree that living or just being on a boat for a while can help to raise one's awareness, but my point was that some people might switch off a light and feel better about themselves, while being completely unaware of the extra environmental impact of owning a boat in addition to a land based dwelling.

Ultimately an increased appreciation or awareness of these issues has to include everything and is only truly worthwhile if it helps to reduce one's overall environmental impact.

Edited by blackrose