Things you wouldn't have on boat again.

Featured Posts

Another thread reminded me of stuff I wouldn't have again.

Mine are:

Mushroom roof vents.

Brass deck fillers (would have welded on with BSP cap)

Brass fender eyes on side.

Brass skin fittings (would opt for weld on type, or at very least weld on protection for brass ones.)

Sump type shower drain pump (one of those plastic butty box type.)

Mooring rope dollies on back (would have proper t studs made.)

Cast type t stud welded on front end (have had steel one fabricated and bolted it on.)

Would probably opt for conventional stern gear over the Vetus currently fitted, but that would be low priority.

Another thread reminded me of stuff I wouldn't have again.

Mine are:

Mushroom roof vents.

Brass deck fillers (would have welded on with BSP cap)

Brass fender eyes on side.

Brass skin fittings (would opt for weld on type, or at very least weld on protection for brass ones.)

Sump type shower drain pump (one of those plastic butty box type.)

Mooring rope dollies on back (would have proper t studs made.)

Cast type t stud welded on front end (have had steel one fabricated and bolted it on.)

Would probably opt for conventional stern gear over the Vetus currently fitted, but that would be low priority.

A bilge pump that wasn't automatic.

Why would you not have mushroom vents again? And what would you have instead? , I ask because I need to fit a vent and was going to fit a mushroom, out of habit really.

Top Cat

Trip hazard, rope snagging, hole in roof that can leak and general PITA smile.png I wouldn't put anything on the roof but would put high level vents in doors and bathroom hopper window. If I couldn't get away with that I would try those flatter chrome ones on the roof.

What's wrong with mooring dollies?

Richard

Ropes pull off them from above and too small for decent sized rope. They just seem un boat like to me. Decent sized T stud any day.

I would guess that the rope pulls off in the bottom of Thames locks

Yup. Other places too.

Edited by Guest

Trip hazard, rope snagging and general PITA smile.png I wouldn't put anything on the roof but would put high level vents in doors and bathroom hopper window. If I couldn't get away with that I would go for those flatter chrome ones on the roof.

Ropes pull off them from above and too small for decent sized rope. They just seem un boat like to me. Decent sized T stud any day.

Yup. Other places too.

Two centre lines, one down each side of the boat, will sort that out, and if you have an exhaust on the roof two centre lines are almost essential. Sadly have a roof mounted fuel tank vent right on the side of the roof and the rope catches every time.

What is wrong with brass deck fillers?

Proper cleats (a sort of T stud but with two uprights...what's the proper name???) does make life much easier

on rivers with big locks.i

.............Dave

Two centre lines, one down each side of the boat, will sort that out, and if you have an exhaust on the roof two centre lines are almost essential. Sadly have a roof mounted fuel tank vent right on the side of the roof and the rope catches every time.

What is wrong with brass deck fillers?

Proper cleats (a sort of T stud but with two uprights...what's the proper name???) does make life much easier

on rivers with big locks.i

.............Dave

Mine started to leak and caused mayhem. I fixed it of course, and change the o ring regularly now, but never quite trust it anymore. Much sooner a welded in BSP pipe, with a BSP cap threaded on like my old boat.

I always use two centre lines but still don't like mushrooms because if trip and drip hazards. Dripping on me two nights ago during a deluge :(

I put an eye spliced loop in the end of the rope, then form a cow hitch in the loop, drop that over the dolly and pull tight. It doesn't come off with a vertical pull.

i have seen that done, but would still go with T studs another time. I believe the dolly things are traditional rather than functional.

Children !!!!

Darren

:clapping:

Hmm. I love having my children living on the boat with me but the boat is getting smaller and smaller every day and its not a small boat...

I just have to rope looped back through the splice eye to make a loop that grips the dolly. Doing that on the Thames right now, also do it on the Severn.

When I had dollies on a narrow boat I found that putting bicycle innertube on the eye splice and splicing it so it was a tight fit over the top of the dolly worked wonders. The innertube created a round eye and added friction so it wouldn't lift off. That was with 18mm diameter staplespun polyprop which is (obviously :rolleyes: ) the best stuff for canal boats.

I just have to rope looped back through the splice eye to make a loop that grips the dolly. Doing that on the Thames right now, also do it on the Severn.

True, where there is a will and all that. I don't understand why T studs are traditionally fitted on the sharp end, yet dollies on the stern. Why not a dolly on the bow for instance? Just a personal thing but I would sooner have T studs all around. I had never seen a dolly until i got my first NB, having been brought up with cleats on other boats. Thought the builder had made a mistake, then realised that most were like that.

Edited by Guest

:clapping:

Hmm. I love having my children living on the boat with me but the boat is getting smaller and smaller every day and its not a small boat...

When I had dollies on a narrow boat I found that putting bicycle innertube on the eye splice and splicing it so it was a tight fit over the top of the dolly worked wonders. The innertube created a round eye and added friction so it wouldn't lift off. That was with 18mm diameter staplespun polyprop which is (obviously :rolleyes: ) the best stuff for canal boats.

Using 14mm lines, I guess you would call that string!

Agree about the mushroom vents. I cured the drip problem when it rained or hailed or when condensate froze then thawed by hanging some shallow pots under them. Worked a treat.

Bob

I intend to cure them with some 6 inch square steel plates, screws and sealant :)

Ropes that are too thick.

Fender socks (they really are the work of the devil)

TV

Monopoly. (not good in a rough sea when it ejects itself from the cupboard!)

My pool table was a disaster wink.png

BSS man may take a dim view of that solution.judge.gif .

Seemingly not. The requirements are for high level ventilation, and from what i can gather, there is no requirement for vents to be in the actual roof (I would of course provide alternative ventilation.) I suspect that some inspectors may interpret that differently, but my mate's boat has passed several times without roof vents. Not sure about RCD stuff though, that is a different can of worms.

Edited by Guest