Tax on propulsion diesel

frahkn

Featured Posts

Could someone better informed than me please explain what percentage of tax (of whatever sort) is added to 'plain' diesel e.g. that for heating to give the cost of propulsion diesel.

Is it a single figure or is there more than one tax?

In other words; given the price for one side of the split, how do you calculate the other.

Frank.

Could someone better informed than me please explain what percentage of tax (of whatever sort) is added to 'plain' diesel e.g. that for heating to give the cost of propulsion diesel.

Is it a single figure or is there more than one tax?

In other words; given the price for one side of the split, how do you calculate the other.

Frank.

Not sure if it answers your questions but lots of info here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/excise-notice-554-fuel-used-in-private-pleasure-craft-and-for-private-pleasure-flying/excise-notice-554-fuel-used-in-private-pleasure-craft-and-for-private-pleasure-flying

Tim

Taking it above the price of white diesel at the pumps.

That will be because of the volumes fuel stations sell relative to boatyard's. My local supermarket must have 30 pumps, yet you still have to queue for them. I can't ever recall having to queue for fuel in the boat.

That will be because of the volumes fuel stations sell relative to boatyard's. My local supermarket must have 30 pumps, yet you still have to queue for them. I can't ever recall having to queue for fuel in the boat.

Also true of smaller roadside garages. It has become such a cut throat game that only supermarkets are able to survive. I suspect even then they consider it a loss leader. A family member gave up selling petrol quite a number of years ago, as it simply was no longer worth the effort.

The tax on propulsion diesel should be about 50p more than that of the "plain" red diesel.

Wot he says so -

If all fuel is for propulsion (=100%) you add 50p PER litre to the base price

If all fuel is for domestic (=0%) you add nothing to the base proce

If you buy standard split or more precisely that recommended for all types of boats by HMRC (60/40) you add 50/6 = 30ppl (pence per litre) to the base price.

Does that make sense??

edit my rotten 'rithmatic

Edited by OldGoat

Assuming the 50p tax difference is correct, I think that at 60% propulsion split it is 60% of 50p which is 30p per litre.

At the other way round ie 60% domestic it would be 20p per litre.

Oh dear - My bad - corrected

Thanks

(grovel)

We've filled at Hartford Marina for the last few times and their diesel is 80ppl domestic and 120ppl for propulsion I always thought the extra duty and VAT should be 50ppl so is the domestic too dear of the propulsion too cheap?

I can't believe some of the prices I see for diesel at marinas. I saw one last week charging £1.30 a litre for propulsion diesel, I get emails every week from the fuel suppliers I use for my truck, and while I admittedly do get through a fair bit more diesel in the truck than in the boat (800-1000 litres a week), my best price for next week is less than £1.06 a litre including the VAT.

I can't believe some of the prices I see for diesel at marinas. I saw one last week charging £1.30 a litre for propulsion diesel, I get emails every week from the fuel suppliers I use for my truck, and while I admittedly do get through a fair bit more diesel in the truck than in the boat (800-1000 litres a week), my best price for next week is less than £1.06 a litre including the VAT.

I would hope so, Tesco are only £1-09.9

From this site http://www.nextgreencar.com/car-tax/fuel-duty/

its 58p but the VAT on both is the same rate

There is nothing to prevent you buying 100 litres every few weeks at £1.06 a litre for the boat.

Or is there?

Nothing to do with the thread really, and just out of curiosity, what kind of mpg does the modern truck return? Cheers.

Nothing to do with the thread really, and just out of curiosity, what kind of mpg does the modern truck return? Cheers.

Depends largely on what weight it pulls, and what terrain it crosses, but generally mine averages about 7.5 mpg. Out of interest I did mpg calculations on the three occasions I brimmed the tank on my boat over the last six weeks or so, and it does almost exactly the same.

Depends largely on what weight it pulls, and what terrain it crosses, but generally mine averages about 7.5 mpg. Out of interest I did mpg calculations on the three occasions I brimmed the tank on my boat over the last six weeks or so, and it does almost exactly the same.

7.5 mpg is actually very impressive considering the loads that you must be hauling, engine size, aerodynamics etc.

Never worked our boat out very accurately, but have roughly reckoned about 10 mpg, so will try from next full tank.

Cheers.

IF they enforce their rules you are limited to a few small cans of fuel for petrol and even though diesel is a light oil the forecourts will still ban the use of several big cans to get 100l to the boat. There seem to be few if any fuel shops that are both waterside and roadside (both close enough for filling).

IF they enforce their rules you are limited to a few small cans of fuel for petrol and even though diesel is a light oil the forecourts will still ban the use of several big cans to get 100l to the boat. There seem to be few if any fuel shops that are both waterside and roadside (both close enough for filling).

I think in France most boaters buy it in cans

Just to answer this point, the VAT on white diesel is 20%, the VAT on red diesel is 5%.

But its only 5% on red used for propulsion same as the domestic, so that is another 10% margin for the riverside supplier over the road forecourt

I think in France most boaters buy it in cans

But its only 5% on red used for propulsion same as the domestic, so that is another 10% margin for the riverside supplier over the road forecourt

Yes, anything to keep the canalside retailers in business and there for us to fill up without having to physically carry fuel to the boat.

If selling fuel canalside was a license to print money as some here seem to think, surely there would be a fuel retailer every 500 yards on the cut.

Yes, anything to keep the canalside retailers in business and there for us to fill up without having to physically carry fuel to the boat.

If selling fuel canalside was a license to print money as some here seem to think, surely there would be a fuel retailer every 500 yards on the cut.

Important that we support canalside retailers, for the reasons you state.

I think there is a big difference what we pay on the canals to what some Thames yards are charging