Tax on propulsion diesel

frahkn

Featured Posts

Queues are not uncommon at Turner's Garage on the Shroppie at Wheaton Aston. Last week the base price was 56p/L and you are free to declare whatever you wish.

Filled up at Turners many times over the years, but never seen more than 2 boats in the queue.

Red diesel is a different product technically to road derv/'heavy oil' so there is a variation in price there anyway. Further variations can occur where some marinas/yards buy a variant without a biofuel content, (in my experince the base price is higher.

It certainly used to be before the 2005 change in regulations requiring road vehicles to use ultra low sulphur diesel. It was called "gas oil" and had a lower cetane value than road diesel and was dyed red. (This is what used to gum diesel heaters up).

After the introduction of the 2005 regs, the refineries found it cheaper to stop the production of gas oil, and simply dye white road diesel red. This also coincided with the introduction of up to 7% biofuel.

You are correct that the new ulsd red diesel can be obtained in two forms, with biodiesel (which doesn't store for much longer than 6 months and without (known as FAME free). The only boatyard I have come across which openly states it uses FAME free is the one by Boot Bridge on the Coventry. However there may well be others.

FAME free is used extensively in the critical power industry, because standby generators can take years to use a tank full of fuel.

Refuelling at a boatyard up north last.year, the owner said that the men in suits had been round as they'd been told to go to a boatyard and look at the books.

They flicked through the books and departed, saying they had no interest as the amount of revenue in question was so small. 'We're after bigger fish. Trucks'

On the subject of 'pleasure', surely a CCer moves.because he has to. Could there be an argument there against duty?

On the subject of 'pleasure', surely a CCer moves.because he has to. Could there be an argument there against duty?

Only if the CCer is being paid to move the boat, specifically a "service for consideration".

Although it seems odd that we worry so much about 50p per hour or so while cruising past £100,000 boats. Would anyone actually *stop* boating for 50p worth of diesel?

Points taken

I just seem to remember that the EU' s argument for insisting on the tax was that all boat movement is for pleasure.

I think I'd rather stay put, so where's the pleasure in moving?

All a bit tongue in cheek of course, but 50p a litre is £100 a tank full. 30 pints of the finest ale.

I just seem to remember that the EU' s argument for insisting on the tax was that all boat movement is for pleasure.

I think I'd rather stay put, so where's the pleasure in moving?

All a bit tongue in cheek of course, but 50p a litre is £100 a tank full. 30 pints of the finest ale.

Accepted, but I don't usually cruise for more than 6 hours a day, so it is not all 30 pints at once, more like one a day when doing a lot of moving, or even one pint a fortnight depending on how much moving is going on.