Marinas are the real slums

kris88

Featured Posts

Marmite and Vegemite are both the nectar of the gods. cool.png

I was on a project in Albania working with Canadian oilfield engineers, and had brought my Marmite from UK to enjoy at breakfast. An arrogant Canadian asked if he could try some and dolloped a good dessert-spoonful onto a slice of bread and then choked on it and spat it out. He was expecting chocolate spread. As you can imagine I was well pleased that he had wasted a week's supply in one go - NOT.

I was on a project in the Burmese jungle working with an Australian contractor. One morning the Vegemite ran out. It was like a religion to the Aussie staff who went on strike until the Vegemite was replenished, which involved flights from Bangkok, Rangoon and then by helicopter to the site. It was quite pleasant working directly with the Burmese for 2 days without the intervention of the Diggers.

I was on a project in Albania working with Canadian oilfield engineers, and had brought my Marmite from UK to enjoy at breakfast. An arrogant Canadian asked if he could try some and dolloped a good dessert-spoonful onto a slice of bread and then choked on it and spat it out. He was expecting chocolate spread.

Well he can't get it at home now. Canada has banned the import of Marmite as apparently it doesn't comply with some Canadian food law. Much to the annoyance of a former colleague of mine who used to ask me to bring out one of the really big jars when I flew over on business.

Well he can't get it at home now. Canada has banned the import of Marmite as apparently it doesn't comply with some Canadian food law. Much to the annoyance of a former colleague of mine who used to ask me to bring out one of the really big jars when I flew over on business.

I seem to remember one of the laws being something along the lines of "fit for human consumption", which of course Marite isn't (IMO - hubby doesn't agree however) icecream.gif

Marmite needs to be spread as thickly as you would chocolate spread or you can't taste it.

Marmite XO seems to have vanished from the shops sad.png

Seems to be marketed as a 'Christmas gift' product, hence the ridiculously large box the jar is packed in.

I buy it out of season on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marmite-XO-Extra-Old-Jar-6-x-250gm-/271901704747?hash=item3f4e9ac22b

Even XO comes in two versions. Black top and red top. Can't see any red top listed today but I've tried both and can't actually discern any difference in taste.

This is correct. There are certinly Vegemite mines in the more secret parts of Australia, but Marmite is actually made in Heaven.

(Not a lot of people know that.)

I didn't know that Heaven is in Burton on Trent, you learn something everyday on this forum!!

That photo prompts me to suggest that Canada has also banned Cadbury's chocolate as it is no longer fit for consumption (??).

I'm dismayed to see it still being in the shops in Britain. Traitors to their (previous) workforce, and traitors to the whole of Britain. I refuse to touch Cadbury's now.

A colleague working in Singapore asked me to bring in a few packets of chewing gum. The message got scrambled and I brought in 4 boxes (I think there were 4 dozen packets in each box).

When I gave him the gum I asked why he wanted me to bring it in. Only then did I find out that the sale of gum and the importation of gum into Singapore is illegal. (to keep the pavements clean). I don't think they execute gum smugglers in Singapore, but the consequences would have been pretty drastic in that very law-abiding state. Even messing up a toilet through careless personal habits is an offence.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/12/shellshock-cadbury-comes-clean-on-creme-egg-chocolate-change

http://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/taste-test-just-how-different-are-the-new-cadbury-creme-eggs-30905676.html

A colleague working in Singapore asked me to bring in a few packets of chewing gum. The message got scrambled and I brought in 4 boxes (I think there were 4 dozen packets in each box).

When I gave him the gum I asked why he wanted me to bring it in. Only then did I find out that the sale of gum and the importation of gum into Singapore is illegal. (to keep the pavements clean). I don't think they execute gum smugglers in Singapore, but the consequences would have been pretty drastic in that very law-abiding state. Even messing up a toilet through careless personal habits is an offence.

What would the Singaporean authorities think of CRT's boaters' facilities, such as the Elsan disposal holes, overflowing rubbish bins...

with so many CCTV cameras and 'observers' they would catch and shoot you. wink.png

seriously, it is impeccably clean and there are no footpath cyclists.

Edited by Murflynn

I understand that it keeps his elephant company smile.png

Another excellent name for a boat - The Elephant and Goat!

The elephant and goat,

Had a 52 foot narrowboat,

If only on the canals it would float,

As it's stuck in a farmer's field in Marston Doles in a moat!

I counter it was intelligible just a lack of punctuation if its ok to use totaly incorrect words im going to give up on punctuation marks all together

Have you read Eats shoots & leaves by Lynne Truss its very good smile.png

Yes, I have.

(It's altogether, BTW) tongue.png