Mooring on Towpaths's without time limits ?

brassedoff

Featured Posts

Yes.

Bear in mind there are plenty of 'boaters without a home mooring' (I love that euphemism!) whose policy is to moor up somewhere and stay there indefinitely until forced to move on by CRT, and even then argue the toss.

Just follow the simple mooring rules and you'll never run into any grief.

Bread n Gravy , sounds good to me.smile.png

At one time it wasn't a " home mooring", but simply "a place where you can legally leave your boat" has that been completely changed now?

We have a home mooring but spend most of our time away from it for various reasons. We never overstay, keep everything tidy, and have never had any issues. The issues come when you overstay and start spreading onto the towpath, or, as Mtb says, just take the pi55

At one time it wasn't a " home mooring", but simply "a place where you can legally leave your boat" has that been completely changed now?

We have a home mooring but spend most of our time away from it for various reasons. We never overstay, keep everything tidy, and have never had any issues. The issues come when you overstay and start spreading onto the towpath, or, as Mtb says, just take the pi55

Thanks Ally thats good to knowsmile.png

Not sure where you are thinking of keeping your boat, but this map may be of interest.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/8515-enforcement-officer-regions-and-contact-details.pdf

My opinion of what you have explained as to your cruising plan should be ok. If some of your stays on the home mooring are going to be very short, then you can keep a cruising diary which would help to show you when you were on your home mooring.

Just as a bit of background, CRT believe there are some boaters that have a home mooring in a low cost part of the country, but never go near it keeping their boat in London or along the K&A for example, hence their comment that when away from your home mooring the cc rules apply. But return to your home mooring and the 'clock' is restarted.

Just as a bit of background, CRT believe there are some boaters that have a home mooring in a low cost part of the country, but never go near it keeping their boat in London or along the K&A for example, hence their comment that when away from your home mooring the cc rules apply. But return to your home mooring and the 'clock' is restarted.

Yes and I think it is a new 'rule' they have dreamed up with no intention of applying it to ordinary boaters. It's for the hard cases described by Chewbacka, who abuse the intention behind the letter of the law.

Not sure where you are thinking of keeping your boat, but this map may be of interest.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/8515-enforcement-officer-regions-and-contact-details.pdf

My opinion of what you have explained as to your cruising plan should be ok. If some of your stays on the home mooring are going to be very short, then you can keep a cruising diary which would help to show you when you were on your home mooring.

Thanks Chewbaka,

I will be living on the boat full time anyway whether in the marina or out cruising, its just i want to use my boat and enjoy the canals as much as possible and use the Marina as a base 3 nights a week.

Thanks for letting me know my cruising plan looks to be ok.

I cant open the link on my xbox but i will have a look later. much appreciated....smile.png

Edited by brassedoff

MtB is giving sound advice. Hypothetically as you have mentioned the Macc canal..if your home mooring was at Lyme View, you could pop to Marple for a few days then put the boat back in the marina, a few days later head onto the Upper Peak for four or five days, turn round head back onto the Macc for a few days, put boat back in marina for three. This kind of pattern is entirely fine and the way in which a lot of people use their boats. Other commitments may make it impossible for some to live aboard for any length of time or venture too far from base. If you have a land based address and spend some time there and don't just sit in the marina for weeks on end when actually aboard then I'd suggest that a leisure mooring would be perfectly appropriate. If you will be genuinely living aboard full time and spending most winter days sitting in the marina then the residential route would be the appropriate one.

This is ridiculous. (not the OPs question, but some of the answers)

OF COURSE a boater from a marina can go cruising a few days every week.

What has the system come to, if even that's not allowed. ....or are we only allowed out on weekends.

frusty.gif

MtB is giving sound advice. Hypothetically as you have mentioned the Macc canal..if your home mooring was at Lyme View, you could pop to Marple for a few days then put the boat back in the marina, a few days later head onto the Upper Peak for four or five days, turn round head back onto the Macc for a few days, put boat back in marina for three. This kind of pattern is entirely fine and the way in which a lot of people use their boats. Other commitments may make it impossible for some to live aboard for any length of time or venture too far from base. If you have a land based address and spend some time there and don't just sit in the marina for weeks on end when actually aboard then I'd suggest that a leisure mooring would be perfectly appropriate. If you will be genuinely living aboard full time and spending most winter days sitting in the marina then the residential route would be the appropriate one.

Thanks BilgePump, weve spoken to a few Marina's about our plans but obviously we will have to be days away from getting the boat before we can find out which Marina is available.

I dont think its not the best time of year to buy a boat with winter closures coming up and some boaters heading into the Marina's.

Edited by brassedoff

I too am a bit surprised that the OP intends to take a fully residential mooring, and pay Council Tax. A leisure mooring would be entirely suitable given the intended cruising pattern, and make no difference to the legitimacy of popping out every few days, even to the same place each time. As long as they have a land-based address (friends, relations) for receiving mail, etc, of course. Is this not correct?

I too am a bit surprised that the OP intends to take a fully residential mooring, and pay Council Tax. A leisure mooring would be entirely suitable given the intended cruising pattern, and make no difference to the legitimacy of popping out every few days, even to the same place each time. As long as they have a land-based address (friends, relations) for receiving mail, etc, of course. Is this not correct?

Nothing is written in stone yet, however if i move to my new location i would come under another NHS Mental Health Services.

Who knows i may end up with a leasure mooring instead smile.png if i can do that and keep my Social Worker all the better.

Thanks Mac

Edited by brassedoff

Ive have decided i am going to stop seeing my social worker and just go for a leasure mooring its simpler.smile.png

I am due to be discharged anyhow, so i will tell her tomorow.

woohoo

Do get her opinion too though. I suspect if it suits you that living aboard would be very beneficial for your mental health too. It's one of the reasons we're considering it.

Ive have decided i am going to stop seeing my social worker and just go for a leasure mooring its simpler.smile.png

I am due to be discharged anyhow, so i will tell her tomorow.

woohoo

Loving the positive attitude! Maybe a user name change is on the cards soon. 'Notbrassedoffanymore' ?

I really need some advice please,

I will be staying in a Residential Marina and paying council tax for at least 12 months, but i plan to stay out of the Marina for at least 3-4 nights a week.

I plan to moor up within a 10 mile radius while out of the Marina pretty much most of the year for 3-4 nights apart from when we go on long 2 week adventures with mum and dad.

The Question i want to ask is am i allowed to moor up on a towpath that has no maximum stay signs for 3-4 nights a week and keep moving around within that 10 mile radius. i would not be staying for anywhere near 14 nights in one spot on my own while out of the Marina.

I hope i have not confused anyone.

If you have a current canal Licence, a current BSS Certificate, Third Party Insurance cover and a mooring for your boat, then you can do whatever you wish in terms of how far you go and how long you stay in any one area.

If anyone tells you differently, then they're wrong. So if it's another boater just ignore whatever they say, and if it's some one from C&RT ask them what action they think they can take if you don't comply with their unlawful twaddle, then tell them to get lost, and ignore whatever they've said.

This is ridiculous. (not the OPs question, but some of the answers)

OF COURSE a boater from a marina can go cruising a few days every week.

What has the system come to, if even that's not allowed. ....or are we only allowed out on weekends.

frusty.gif

Trouble is there are that many stories flying around that how is a newbie supposed to know what to believe?

If you have a current canal Licence, a current BSS Certificate, Third Party Insurance cover and a mooring for your boat, then you can do whatever you wish in terms of how far you go and how long you stay in any one area.

If anyone tells you differently, then they're wrong. So if it's another boater just ignore whatever they say, and if it's some one from C&RT ask them what action they think they can take if you don't comply with their unlawful twaddle, then tell them to get lost, and ignore whatever they've said.

Do you not still have to abide with the 14 day rule even if you have a 'home' mooring...? Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick again!! help.gif

Do you not still have to abide with the 14 day rule even if you have a 'home' mooring...? Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick again!! help.gif

Yes & No

You do have to move every 14 days, but unlike a CCer who must be in a different place (place is undefined but often quoted as a 'parish') every 14 days, a boat with home mooring need only move to a new location, which could be a couple of hundred yards away.

C&RT state :

A boat away from its home mooring must comply with CC rules & regulations.

The Law states :

A boat away from its home mooring does not have to comply with the CC rules and regulations.

A boat away from its home mooring has no obligation to ever return to its mooring.

Whilst no setting a precedent the following Myers case makes interesting reading (particularly section 6:3)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/235689154/Meyers-Judgment-2013

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Thanks Alan,

Still slightly confused , however as at present rarely spend more than 24-48 hours at the same mooring whilst away from our 'home' berth its ot really an issue for me (just yet however Mrs Dharl has been eyeing up boats for sale so that could change.......)

Judging by the lack of water and difficulty getting to the bank to moor on en route getting here from Cosgrove,last week

I don't think there's 14 day towpath mooring which I or anyone could moor up safely in between here at Stoke Bruene and Cosgrove.

It's a really pretty narrow stretch of waterway,there were no moored up boats, apart from outside yardley marina and navigation marina Which I imagine have Time restrictions.

Col

Edited by bigcol

Yes & No

You do have to move every 14 days, but unlike a CCer who must be in a different place (place is undefined but often quoted as a 'parish') every 14 days, a boat with home mooring need only move to a new location, which could be a couple of hundred yards away.

C&RT state :

A boat away from its home mooring must comply with CC rules & regulations.

The Law states :

A boat away from its home mooring does not have to comply with the CC rules and regulations.

A boat away from its home mooring has no obligation to ever return to its mooring.

Whilst no setting a precedent the following Myers case makes interesting reading (particularly section 6:3)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/235689154/Meyers-Judgment-2013

Thats good to know thanks, i did wonder this.

Trouble is there are that many stories flying around that how is a newbie supposed to know what to believe?

Yer that hit the nail on the head their.

blink.png