Mooring on Towpaths's without time limits ?

brassedoff

Featured Posts

I really need some advice please,

I will be staying in a Residential Marina and paying council tax for at least 12 months, but i plan to stay out of the Marina for at least 3-4 nights a week.

I plan to moor up within a 10 mile radius while out of the Marina pretty much most of the year for 3-4 nights apart from when we go on long 2 week adventures with mum and dad.

The Question i want to ask is am i allowed to moor up on a towpath that has no maximum stay signs for 3-4 nights a week and keep moving around within that 10 mile radius. i would not be staying for anywhere near 14 nights in one spot on my own while out of the Marina.

I hope i have not confused anyone.

Edited by brassedoff

I really need some advice please,

I will be staying in a Residential Marina and paying council tax for at least 12 months, but i plan to stay out of the Marina for at least 3-4 nights a week.

I plan to moor up within a 10 mile radius while out of the Marina pretty much most of the year for 3-4 nights apart from when we go on long 2 week adventures with mum and dad.

The Question i want to ask is am i allowed to moor up on a towpath that has no maximum stay signs for 3-4 nights a week and keep moving around within that 10 mile radius. i would not be staying for anywhere near 14 nights in one spot on my own while out of the Marina.

I hope i have not confused anyone.

You need to talk to the enforcement guy for the selected area, and then check what he has said with his supervisor. There is no one on this forum that can advise you on this particular issue.

You need to talk to the enforcement guy for the selected area, and then check what he has said with his supervisor. There is no one on this forum that can advise you on this particular issue.

Thanks Jenlyn, as a new person to the Canals i have done lots of reading but they dont exactly make the rules simple to understand. Their is too much red tape and yer but no buts. I will speak to Crt and record the telephone call.

As far as I am aware, and I will be corrected if wrong, but that's absolutely fine, using your residential mooring as a base of operations as it were.

Thank you

Yes.

By law.

Depending where you are moored,enforcement officers and volunteer twitchers may say otherwise.

Thanks, guess i should paint my boat camo.

It just seems like the Crt are confused themselves, and make it up as they go along.

I just want to do things right but its just a mindfield.

Edited by brassedoff

You are OK providing you do not stay at any point more than 14 days or any shorter posted time limit. When you return to your marina mooring the clock is restarted, and so there is no problem in returning to a spot you have visited recently. CRT have confirmed this position (which isn't to say all CRT staff are fully aware).

It's a shame that you haven't got a boat yet but feel the need to record a call to CRT. As a first step perhaps go and

talk to the boaters in your chosen residential marina. I share David Macks view above

Edited by Tuscan

You are OK providing you do not stay at any point more than 14 days or any shorter posted time limit. When you return to your marina mooring the clock is restarted, and so there is no problem in returning to a spot you have visited recently. CRT have confirmed this position (which isn't to say all CRT staff are fully aware).

Cheers David, thats kinda answered another question about stopping near somewhere i might have been 6 days ago.

You are correct in what you say - the unknown part is the length of stay required whilst the 'clock is restarted'.

Can you pull into your mooring, tie up, make a cup-of-tea, then leave the marina again ?

Must you stay in the marina (on your mooring) overnight ?

Must you stay in the marina (on your mooring) for 14 days ?

The 1995 Act (of Parliament) says you do not have to return to the marina / mooring, but, being above the law, C&RT say you must return to your mooring.

It's a shame that you haven't got a boat yet but feel the need to record a call to CRT. As a first step perhaps go and

talk to the boaters in your chosen residential marina. I share David Macks view above

To be honest all the horror storys ive read on this forum have made me think this way, and that why i would record the phone conversation.

We have visited the Marina's already a few times and spoken to lots of Boaters who say its lovely in that area.

I would feel a bit cheaky asking them if they were overstaying LOL

Edited by brassedoff

I just want to do things right but its just a mindfield.

...and a mindfield (I like that word) which we have all negotiated with varying degrees of stress. Get your boat, then the details will sort themselves out as you go along.

But don't paint it in camouflage! A previous thread on here, about suspected tea-leaves in a camo boat, will explain why.

How is the boat-hunting going, Brassy?

You are correct in what you say - the unknown part is the length of stay required whilst the 'clock is restarted'.

Can you pull into your mooring, tie up, make a cup-of-tea, then leave the marina again ?

The 1995 Act (of Parliament) says you do not have to return to the marina / mooring, but, being above the law, C&RT say you must return to your mooring.

I would always be returning to the Marina for 3 nights a week and sleeping in it apart from summer holidays where we would be doing lots of miles per day, i just dont want to buy a boat and not use it.

Might as well buy and static caravan LOL

...and a mindfield (I like that word) which we have all negotiated with varying degrees of stress. Get your boat, then the details will sort themselves out as you go along.

But don't paint it in camouflage! A previous thread on here, about suspected tea-leaves in a camo boat, will explain why.

How is the boat-hunting going, Brassy?

Boat Hunting is going pretty shit, we are still waiting for money to land which is a certain.

We could not go to whilton on Saturday, and looking on ABNB this afternoon their were lots of deposits taken. closedeyes.gif

I rekon we would of bought ECHO the tug if we had the readys in place.mad.gif

Edited by brassedoff

Thanks, guess i should paint my boat camo.

Nooooooo........................

Don't do it!!

There's a long history of the n'er-do-wells in the Camo Boat!

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=56123&hl=+camo%20+boat

You'd do it and then wonder why everyone scowled at you/grabbed a pitchfork/ran away/lit the flaming torch! ninja.gif

Nooooooo........................

Don't do it!!

There's a long history of the n'er-do-wells in the Camo Boat!

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=56123&hl=+camo%20+boat

You'd do it and then wonder why everyone scowled at you/grabbed a pitchfork/ran away/lit the flaming torch! ninja.gif

OMG lol

I read that, norty camo boat.

Hey i saw one with a giant squid on it the other day.

You don't buy a boat from Whilton - you just go to look, decide what features you want / need then buy elsewhere.

No without typing too much Alan i would not buy a boat from Whilton, noo

i was told to go and view the boats as a learning experience like you say.

i would buy a boat off ABNB, they seem to have some nice stuff worth viewing.

Edited by brassedoff

To be honest all the horror storys ive read on this forum have made me think this way, and that why i would record the phone conversation.

The reality of the situation is it's very simple. Moor where you like for up to 14 days unless there are signs saying otherwise.

It only get complicated when you start probing for the limits, i.e. your intention is to take the P155.

There will be a lot of share boats get into trouble if you need to stay longer than a few hours. As I understand it most have a change over day when one crew leaves in the morning and the next departs in the afternoon.

The reality of the situation is it's very simple. Moor where you like for up to 14 days unless there are signs saying otherwise.

It only get complicated when you start probing for the limits, i.e. your intention is to take the P155.

Thanks Mtb, i was going to ask what a P115 form was, but then i cottoned on to what you meant.

I think i should get my boat first, then get in a car and chat to the Crt face to face.

I am in agreement with mtb. Have had no problem mooring a few days here and there, cant recall any of my boater friends being moved on either. Some people seem to want to make problems for themselves.

Ian.

Thanks Ian that was what i wanted to hear. smile.png

Edited by brassedoff

Thanks Mtb, i was going to ask what a P115 form was, but then i cottoned on to what you meant.

I think i should get my boat first, then get in a car and chat to the Crt face to face.

Thanks Ian that was what i wanted to hear. smile.png

You really don't need to. This forum has an unrepresentatively high proportion of boaters keen to probe the limits, hence all the discussion threads on the subject.

I've NEVER been asked to move on, never had a patrol notice, or any contact from CRT questioning my cruising pattern, despite spending six months of the year bridge hopping on the southern Oxford. I don't take the P155 and CRT enforcement have far bigger fish to fry.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

You really don't need to. This forum has an unrepresentatively high proportion of boaters keen to probe the limits, hence all the discussion threads on the subject.

I've NEVER been asked to move on, never had a patrol notice, or any contact from CRT questioning my cruising pattern, despite spending six months of the year bridge hopping on the southern Oxford. I don't take the P155 and CRT enforcement have far bigger fish to fry.

Yer easy life without any hassle Mtb, that will do me too

Guess one can worry ones self into P115 pot.

Yer easy life without any hassle Mtb, that will do me too

Guess one can worry ones self into P115 pot.

Yes.

Bear in mind there are plenty of 'boaters without a home mooring' (I love that euphemism!) whose policy is to moor up somewhere and stay there indefinitely until forced to move on by CRT, and even then argue the toss.

Just follow the simple mooring rules and you'll never run into any grief.