Stolen Boat on Ashby Canal

deckhand

Featured Posts

Oh dear.....Police involved? Possibly one for the insurers to settle now, I can't see an easy way to undo the damage there

Shouldn't be too much of a problem. The owner came on here and said:

last year I made the decision that I wanted to renew the superstructure so that I could keep her for another 20 + years.

That's a relief in one way, but a shock in another. I hope that the insurance company will stump up for the renovation work.

But I do wonder, why do it? And why take the boat the other side of Sutton Stop just to tear her roof off and (by the look of it) lining out? It is bizarre behaviour unless some sort of personal animosity is involved.

Where on earth has all the stuff gone?

Stripping out a boat and removing the top will have generated a HUGE volume of junk, which doesn't appear to be on the bank.

Looks to me as though it was taken somewhere secret and out of the public view for dismantling, then towed back out onto the cut and dumped.

Keep as eye on ebay for all the stuff that must have been inside.

Is the engine still there?

That's a relief in one way, but a shock in another. I hope that the insurance company will stump up for the renovation work.

But I do wonder, why do it? And why take the boat the other side of Sutton Stop just to tear her roof off and (by the look of it) lining out? It is bizarre behaviour unless some sort of personal animosity is involved.

Bizarre indeed - and to leave the name of the boat in those dirty great letters too?! Wonder what the story is here... glad the perp. has been i.d.-ed..

Bizarre indeed - and to leave the name of the boat in those dirty great letters too?! Wonder what the story is here... glad the perp. has been i.d.-ed..

"Perp" or "perv"?

Hasn't yet been apprehended as far as we know.

Oh man, thats awful

I think there's been enough unwarranted speculation (without any apologies to the owner when he posted) on here already

Oh man, thats awful

I think there's been enough unwarranted speculation (without any apologies to the owner when he posted) on here already

Yes, awful indeed.

But I don't understand your objection to speculation about what happened. Or why you think an apology to the owner here is required.

it's better if you work it out for yourself - why dont you go and read your own posts

Can't answer then, eh?

Speculation is how we learn and understand unexpected situations. Or how I do anyway.

If the owner is offended by it he is free to say so. Doesn't need you to bat for him.

Where on earth has all the stuff gone?

Stripping out a boat and removing the top will have generated a HUGE volume of junk, which doesn't appear to be on the bank.

Looks to me as though it was taken somewhere secret and out of the public view for dismantling, then towed back out onto the cut and dumped.

Keep as eye on ebay for all the stuff that must have been inside.

Is the engine still there?

That got me thinking! I passed a boat with its wooden top being taken off last week - but it was near Nantwich, so a bit too far away from this scene!

Missing Narrowboat CALLY HANNA has been located on Coventry canal between bridges 7 -8 totally stripped out :-(

CLuVrBBUEAE5DKn.jpg

As the name is still clearly visible, I wonder if the boat was sold on the towpath and the "new owners" were unaware they bought a stolen boat?

Indeed.

You would think that they would at least have removed the name!

Unless they wanted it to be found. Doesn't appear to be much damage done other than the effective removal of the superstructure. Which is lucky because the owner wanted it to be replaced anyway.

I wonder if the insurance would pay for that?

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to RachW for her clarification about why I hadn't commented on here before - my lack of being on any social media. Also, someone else I had met and talked to regarding the theft had said they would be doing it for me (thank you).

Now to try to add my own clarification. This is my first attempt on a forum, so apologies if I get anything wrong.

Firstly, the boat has been owned by myself for 20 + years, and last year I made the decision that I wanted to renew the superstructure so that I could keep her for another 20 + years.

Secondly, as you're probably now aware the boat theft was reported to both the police and CRT. This was the day after the theft when I found that Cally Hanna was not where I'd left her. Fairly sure about the theft date, because she was seen (by someone who knows the boat well) travelling the Ashby that day. I guess the initial theft could have been made the evening before though.

Cally Hanna had been moored on Shackerstone Wharf Farm permanent moorings for virtually all of the time she was on the Ashby Canal, most of my 20+ years of ownership. To clarify, I always paid my mooring fees in cash in advance, so this was not whay she had been forced to leave. The Land is Crown Estate land, and had recently had a new tenant. As I understand it this new tenant was trying to create a good impression and didn't like Cally's (admittedly) dishevelled appearance spoiling the view. To be fair I was given a some warning to try to improve this, but it took much soul searching to make the decision that I really did want to keep her and could find the time to do the job properly. When I moved her off I did request that my moorings be kept open for when I'd done the work on Cally (seeing as I'd paid in advance) and was led to believe that this would be done. It was only when CRT got in touch to say they couldn't renew my licence that I found out this wasn't the case.

Anyway, the licence issue did get resolved. Oh again for the record, the licence was always paid for in advance and for many years by direct debit. Admittedly the licence wasn't displayed on the boat which is probably a violation, but she was only being moved short distances along the Ashby (until other arrangements could be made) and would have been known to CRT officials in the area.

Hopefully enough information has now been provided to allay everyone's concerns about this being a timewaster. I had been concentrating my own efforts initially on thoughts that they would have wanted to get her out of the water quite quickly (and locally), possibly even to scrap. However, it now begins to appear that this was far more planned than I'd previously thought, which might mean they are trying to modify (paint) and keep her. So everyone please keep your eyes peeled and keep reporting - the hull in itself is very distinctive (probably uniquely modified) so even if a lot of work gets done to the superstructure she would still be recognisable. I have more photos if required, although I understand some of these have now made it onto Twitter.

I think I saw a comment about why take such an untidy and old boat? I couldn't agree more - whilst I personally have a strong attachment to Cally Hanna I can't for the life of me understand why someone would deliberately take her instead of a more modern boat!

In recent times I have not been an active boater, but when Cally was co-owned with RachW she visited all sorts of far flung corners. Whatever, Neither Cally nor myself deserved to have this done to us. Please help return her to her rightful owner.

Thanks all,

Carl.

Carl, let me or one of the moderators know if you want this thread locked, since the boat's now been located and its ongoing with the police etc. I don't think people will mind too much about a thread being subdued when its served its purpose and obviously it will be somewhat distressing dealing with the next steps etc.

Unless they wanted it to be found. Doesn't appear to be much damage done other than the effective removal of the superstructure. Which is lucky because the owner wanted it to be replaced anyway.

I wonder if the insurance would pay for that?

I should imagine they will want to investigate the case first, but don't see why they wouldn't pay out if no foul play was suspected.

Indeed.

You would think that they would at least have removed the name!

No point if a chancer spotted the boat apparently unused and unloved on the towpath, and sold it to a unsuspecting passing naïve person for £3k.

Said person then set about renovating it...