From Fradley, through Black Country via Stourbridge then to Autherly junction to Fradley

NB Lola

Featured Posts

How is this for a route in Summer holidays

Fradley to Fazeley then, Curdworth, Salford Junction, Old Turn Junction, Smethwick, Old Main line to Spon Lane Junction, Tividale Aqueduct, Netherton Tunnel, Windmill Junction,

Park Head Junction to Delph locks, Stourbridge, Stourbridge Town Wharf can we wind here?.

Back up then to Wordsley Junction, Stourton Junction, Greensforge and Swindon, Bratch, Tettenhall, Aldersley Junction, Autherly Junction, Great Haywood and back to Fradley.

In two weeks. Does this resonate as a good route?

Anything to watch out for, thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks

Looks like a good leisurely trip for a fortnight. Yes you can wind a full length boat at the end of the Stourbridge Branch. There is a nice chip shop at Compton just along from the bridge, we usually manage an overnight stop there.

Looks like a good leisurely trip for a fortnight. Yes you can wind a full length boat at the end of the Stourbridge Branch. There is a nice chip shop at Compton just along from the bridge, we usually manage an overnight stop there.

I stopped at Compton night before last. There is now a good Sainsbury's Local just past the chippy, and two pubs (I preferred The Swan). Sadly Limekiln Chandlers are no more - now a building site.

Point of detail, but from Spon Lane Junction are you going down Spon Lane Locks and along the New Main Line to the Netherton Tunnel Branch, and then passing under Tividale Aqueduct? It rather reads as if you are going over the aqueduct, in which case you have to carry on to Tipton to drop down to the Birmingham Level (or retrace your steps to Brades).

The difference between entrance and exit of Netherton tunnel is amazing. You leave the heart of the black country behind and emerge (in my case) into brilliant sunshine and green grass. Beware an incredibly low white painted bridge shortly after though.

I stopped at Compton night before last. There is now a good Sainsbury's Local just past the chippy, and two pubs (I preferred The Swan). Sadly Limekiln Chandlers are no more - now a building site.

There is (or was last year) an off license in Compton with one of the biggest ranges of bottles beer I have ever seen!

Tim

Point of detail, but from Spon Lane Junction are you going down Spon Lane Locks and along the New Main Line to the Netherton Tunnel Branch, and then passing under Tividale Aqueduct? It rather reads as if you are going over the aqueduct, in which case you have to carry on to Tipton to drop down to the Birmingham Level (or retrace your steps to Brades).

Need to make sure we get this right.

We are going through spon lane locks to Bromford Junction and then via new main line passed Albion junction to netherton branch by turning left at Dudley port junction onto netherton branch and then through tunnel. This looks correct on the map, let me know if not please

Edited to add we just checked outrpost and you are right, we got it wrong but my adjustment above should be fine?

Ta

Edited by NB Lola

I can heartily recommend the offie in Compton. We found mooring on the Stourbridge Town arm was less than satisfactory last year. Brindleyplace moorings in Birmingham will be quieter than Gas St.

Glad someone else feels the same about Stourbridge Arm it does nothing for me

Need to make sure we get this right.

We are going through spon lane locks to Bromford Junction and then via new main line passed Albion junction to netherton branch by turning left at Dudley port junction onto netherton branch and then through tunnel. This looks correct on the map, let me know if not please

Edited to add we just checked outrpost and you are right, we got it wrong but my adjustment above should be fine?

Ta

What you have there is correct.

We did Napton to Stourbridge three years ago, but chose to go via Hatton and the North Stratford, returning via Farmers Bridge,etc. Be prepared to find it very lonely after Birmingham, we spent whole days when we did not pass another boat, and that was in early August and late September!

Ok I will elaborate,arm ok but not fantastic.When we got to the moorings at the end of the arm (before the permanent moorings) it was full of liveaboards & only 1 space v close to water point.Chatted to a few friendly folk who said they'd been there agesOnly room for us as a visiting boat-no other space.Another boat would have had to turn around & go back.This is supposed to be a mooring for visitors.

We had much the same experience - no space at the visitor moorings . Also Stourbridge is blighted by an inner ring-road, so not much to be gained by going to the town centre either. I'm sure there are good bits, but we didn't find them!

Only been to the end of the town arm once, a couple of years ago. Moorings were limited but there was space for us. The town centre was surpringly genteel (relatively!) with some fine architecture. So I would say it's worth a visit.