Keeping Pets Cool....

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

It's about 36 degrees on the boat today and poor little G doesn't venture off the boat yet. I've just purchased his this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009GGTN84/ref=s9_simh_gw_p201_d1_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0RE6SQ3PA7ZMJJ0W3N2T&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=577047927&pf_rd_i=desktop

But any other hints and tips for keep our furry friends cool this week?

Edited by Lmcgrath87

Ice cubes in the drinking water.

We did that until we were told that if they swallow them they can kill them (dogs that is)

Last night "Dudley" our Pug had a cold shower,then he just stood in the bath with water up to his belly.

Today when it was 32o at 11.30am he is just lying on the floor with a small desk fan (25 watts 220 volt - 2 amps at 12v) blowing on him.

No doubt it will be a cold shower again tonight.

Edit to add - just done a google search and a vet states :

The article claims a dog almost died after his owner gave him ice water, claiming the cold water caused the dog to bloat.

Dr. Randall Carpenter says bloat is a life-threatening situation for dogs because it actually flips their stomach while enlarging it.

“If the dog is overheated and dehydrated, and desperate for fluids and they consume huge, huge amounts of ice cubes or water all at one time, it could create a situation where the dog could bloat,” said Dr. Carpenter.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

A nice swim in the cut or river should cool a dog down, our Lab always jumps in the water to cool down we even have a kids plastic pool at home that she likes to lie in.

Neil

Not sure any moggies will appreciate that!

Shame there isn't a Pet section for this type of thread !.

Absolutely Brilliant advice about Burning the pads on our fury friends feet on hot Tarmac/Concrete,

& I use to wet his Coller and neck, regularly, when Charlie was with me on hot days, But to be honest with him being a water dog, it was hard to stop him going in if he wanted a swim, he just helped himself when the mood took him.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

For those of you that have to leave your pet for extended periods of time in your boat in the hot temperatures we have been, and are going to still get, I'm sure you all take the obvious Blinds over Windows,Ventilation and Circulation

precautions, But it may also be worth considering Two water bowls, in different places, Both with a inner smaller upturnd bowl of ice in the middle of the Bigger Bowl of water (if that sort of makes sense).

• Greenie 1

For those of you that have to leave your pet for extended periods of time in your boat in the hot temperatures we have been, and are going to still get, I'm sure you all take the obvious Blinds over Windows,Ventilation and Circulation

precautions, But it may also be worth considering Two water bowls, in different places, Both with a inner smaller upturnd bowl of ice in the middle of the Bigger Bowl of water (if that sort of makes sense).

Top tip.

Phil

Our cat is at home during the day. He does and can go out, but tends to sleep for most of the day.

We leave several portholes open (too small for a person, but give a nice through draft) and leave all curtains closed. Where possible, we leave floor hatches open so he can lie on the cold steel. He likes the bathroom floor. He has multiple bowls of water in different rooms, and does seem to use them all. Last night he had a sachet of food out of the fridge which he enjoyed, judging by the speed with which he ate it ;)

We also have a timer cat bowl which, underneath the food/water bowls, has a space for a frozen ice block. In cold weather it keeps food and water cooler than room temperature for many hours. http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/cat/cat-bowls-and-accessories/automatic-cat-feeders/automatic-2-meal-cat-and-small-dog-feeder

Lucy (& Bellamy)

He's a great little character, loves the boat now too!

He looks very at home,,,I had Two Cats Monty and Riley, My Ex took them when we parted company 2 years ago, But they loved the Boating, somewhere new to explore most weeks, Frequently performed Cat Overboard Maneuvers On Rivers, Canals and the Estuaries we explored and Anchored on. And was always a talking point with others.

I wouldn't worry too much about your cat, unlike dogs they can withstand extreme temperatures without distress. I used to run a carpet cleaning business and had a big petrol engined machine fixed in the van. The inside of the van as a result got seriously hot, especially in summer, up to 90 degrees f. I would often find a cat curled up inside though when I had finished a job. One day I had to shoo three of them out. You've probably heard similar stories of cats getting trapped in car engine compartments.

Cat's sweat don't they? unlike dogs. A dog in a hot car/boat is a different matter altogether.

He seems to quite like his little cool pad, it certainly works so if he doesn't use it i will!

My old lab gave himself self heat stroke because of his love of playing and refusing to stop even when it is 30 degrees! Silly pup.

Our cat took its first dip this morning. I had just refused to let her in at 5 this morning as she had a mouse in her mouth, I then heard a nice splash as she fell in. She was wet but none the worse for her experience.

Dave was washing down the side of the boat earlier today and dog walkers going past were trying to get a drink out of his bucket, so he took my old wash basin, cleaned it and put clean drinking water in it for the passing dog walkers. Have had many many thankful pups take up the offer of a cool clean drink in the past couple of hours as the temp rises...he's put one of Zebby's old cat dishes out beside it to signify it's ok for pets cheers.gif

Dave was washing down the side of the boat earlier today and dog walkers going past were trying to get a drink out of his bucket, so he took my old wash basin, cleaned it and put clean drinking water in it for the passing dog walkers. Have had many many thankful pups take up the offer of a cool clean drink in the past couple of hours as the temp rises...he's put one of Zebby's old cat dishes out beside it to signify it's ok for pets cheers.gif

A nice thing to do. You see it a lot in France - bowls dotted about various parts of a town especially on Market days and often outside shops. There is a lady's step on one of our local walks at home that Simon always makes a bee line for because she is guaranteed to have put a bowl out for passing dogs.

Two thoughts though not tried myself.

1) 12v computer fans in the floor bringing cold air up from the bilge. Might smell a bit damp though.

2) A bathroom extractor fan mounted the wrong way so as to blow loads of air into the boat. Screwfix sell some which move a huge amount of air.

Ohh and moor in the shade.

My bathroom is tiles on the floor and most of the walls especially for the dogs. It keeps the boat lovely and cool, so does film on the windows and Houdini's open. There are 3 water bowls, one is a bucket filled with canal water so they have a choice and never run out. I tend to moor in the sun because of the solars but the inside of the boat is always cool. I can also take a window out for extra breeze if needed.

I also have a camping 12v or battery powered shower that I can use to hose down outside.