Using chains for mooring

Richardcn

Featured Posts

One good reason to chain your boat is to prevent being cast adrift overnight.

It's happened to us twice in Brum so I intend to tie the ropes to the bollards as usual in future and then wrap chain around on top and padlock them.

It's happened to us twice in Brum so I intend to tie the ropes to the bollards as usual in future and then wrap chain around on top and padlock them.

Indeed…us and others use chains at places like york where there is a history of boats being united….i too used a chain in Brum just to be on safe side….I take the point about fire but I reckon the risk of being untied is greater….

cheers

Gareth

Me too. Once you've been set adrift in the night by young scrotes who cut your ropes you start to think differently about this issue. If I have any qualms I use two long plastic coated steel cables looped together (for extra length) and locked to my centre ring. It's very loose and I find I sleep better.

Edited by blackrose

Hi Gang,

Taking into account the Location and Water variants of your chosen mooring, you may want to cconsider Tieing you boat up in the usual manner, Then dropping a Bow AND Stern (Possibly even a Midshps one as well) Anchor or Mud weight on a Chain, on the OFF SIDE of your Boat.

I have often used this method of mooring at night in Towns and City's if conditions allow.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2
  • Greenie 1

In York the river can rise and fall fairly quickly but many seem to use a length of anchor chain to lock the boat to a ring. This is because the local drinkers late on have had a habit in the past of untieing boats for fun. The river can run quickly here and waking to find yourself mid stream and moving swiftly isn't pleasant. We, like others have used chains here but kept a very, very careful watch on the levels. This is I think, the only location on the system we have felt the need to lock the boat like this.

In York the river can rise and fall fairly quickly but many seem to use a length of anchor chain to lock the boat to a ring. This is because the local drinkers late on have had a habit in the past of untieing boats for fun. The river can run quickly here and waking to find yourself mid stream and moving swiftly isn't pleasant. We, like others have used chains here but kept a very, very careful watch on the levels. This is I think, the only location on the system we have felt the need to lock the boat like this.

I have quite a long chain....which means it can allow a rise if the ropes are made loose....I also fix it to the boat with a padlock that has kept easily to hand....if the worse happens in the night I can unlock the padlock and let the chain go...of course I also take the ropes back to the boat to secure them as well.

Cheers

Gareth

Hi Gang,

Taking into account the Location and Water variants of your chosen mooring, you may want to cconsider Tieing you boat up in the usual manner, Then dropping a Bow AND Stern (Possibly even a Midshps one as well) Anchor or Mud weight on a Chain, on the OFF SIDE of your Boat.

I have often used this method of mooring at night in Towns and City's if conditions allow.

Just beat me to it, I carry an old 56lb coal merchants' weight for that very purpose

So to tie things up ;).

Normal mooring ropes whenever the boat is left unattended for longer periods but tied off back at the boat (maybe with strong cable ties to secure the ends to prevent casual untying?).

A chain/wire cable with an easy boat-end release or offside anchor/weights when aboard and there is a risk (or perceived risk) of being set adrift (or no secure place to attach a chain/cable).

Does that sound reasonable?

Although on writing that it would seem to make sense to go the anchor/weights route (with chain) which could possibly cover all situations rather than have both. In fact using that method (especially if cleverly concealed or camouflaged) at a long term mooring might work very well in avoiding being set adrift. Anybody that needed to legally move the boat would, I'm sure, be able to work out why they couldn't (or why it was so bloody difficult)!

Does that sound even better?

How heavy would the weights need to be and what type/size of chain? ETA To hold the boat but not sink it in the event of a significant (or possible) rise in levels.

Richard

Edited by Richardcn

It does seem like you're overthinking this too much and expecting the worst. The majority of people just tie up with ropes or ropes with goat chains and be done with it and never have a problem.

Think you need bit of perspective. We have travelled the vast majority of the network over the last five years and have been untied once in that time plus three years summer cruising before that. That was tying up to bollards where rope can slipped over without actually untying the rope.

Val

The only places I have had trouble in 20 odd years are a in places that are considered safe....rocks thrown on the sainsburys mooring in apsley.....untied in harborogh basin and kids running down the gunnels in alrewas....all places where I never would or have since used my chains or had second thought of mooring.....as is said...don't worry about it too much but be sensible.

Cheers

Gareth

It does seem like you're overthinking this too much and expecting the worst. The majority of people just tie up with ropes or ropes with goat chains and be done with it and never have a problem.

Think you need bit of perspective. We have travelled the vast majority of the network over the last five years and have been untied once in that time plus three years summer cruising before that. That was tying up to bollards where rope can slipped over without actually untying the rope.

Val

The only places I have had trouble in 20 odd years are a in places that are considered safe....rocks thrown on the sainsburys mooring in apsley.....untied in harborogh basin and kids running down the gunnels in alrewas....all places where I never would or have since used my chains or had second thought of mooring.....as is said...don't worry about it too much but be sensible.

Cheers

Gareth

Thank you for that, it does add perspective as I have nothing (at all) to go on but information I can find here (and elsewhere) as I'm a dumb newbie :help:. It's not that I am worried, I just like to have an understanding of how things work (or how things are) and then I go away and let it sink in slowly before I either do what I think I need to or do nothing, if I feel that seems appropriate. That's what I love about this forum, the breadth of opinion, it's a great place to learn things :clapping:

Cheers

Richard

No you're not a dumb newbie, you want to plan for sensible hiccups.

Have a greenie for that my friend :cheers:

Richard

Just beat me to it, I carry an old 56lb coal merchants' weight for that very purpose

I do have 'a weight' of my own in mind...

but I'm certain that he would mind! And besides, I'd eventually have to replace him :lol:

Richard

If I felt I needed to chain my boat up when I left it I wouldn't leave it there in the first place. (work that one out)

Yes,

It's like any other judgment call isn't it,

Like if you was thinking of buying a House, would it be in the kind of area you would be happy to go away for a week's holiday, and leave your front door open !.

Or when parking your car, why lock it ?. We obviously wouldn't knowingly leave it in a suspect place,,,,but it's just piece of mind that you have taken some measures to ensure a good nights sleep, or a short break away.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

It seems like another 'sensible' security measure . . .

I have always chained my boat fore and aft, with padlocks, in certain places. One year in Little Venice mine was the only boat on the visitor moorings that had not been set adrift in the night.

I like the idea of the mudweights [anchors are inadvisable because they can damage the puddled bottom of most canals].

At an early stage I even considered the idea of welding in steel pipes through the bottom of the hull extending to deck level, with the idea of inserting steel barge/scaffold poles through into the bed when invisible security seemed advisable. That also should only be used on rivers, and perhaps reflects an over-the-top mindset.

We always chain the boat up as security, irrespective of where it is, have done this since day one, Misbehavouring persons are less likely to saw or cut through a chain as to the few minutes untying ropes takes.

We always chain the boat up as security, irrespective of where it is, have done this since day one, Misbehavouring persons are less likely to saw or cut through a chain as to the few minutes untying ropes takes.

Having been cut loose on several occasions, with the cost of replacement ropes, I take being simply untied as a kindly act by the vandal.

George ex nb Alton retired

Indeed…us and others use chains at places like york where there is a history of boats being united….i too used a chain in Brum just to be on safe side….I take the point about fire but I reckon the risk of being untied is greater….

cheers

Gareth

Even in York we dont use chains. We tie up using all four ropes and make sure the ropes are tied off on the boat.

I seriously wouldnt fancy using chains in York. If the river suddenly rises it could make life very interesting!

Looks like this has opened up a toilet-style debate, who'd have thought it!

Having discussed it with SWMBO we are going to try out the standard mooring lines option, tied off at the boat (plus tie wraps when left alone moored) and at least one mud weight on a chain on the 'offside'. Maybe when I'm at the car boot sale looking for old spanners for the RN I will run into a suitable big lump of metal as well! ;)

Anybody know what would be a suitable size mud weight (or weights) for a 62ft'er?

Richard

Looks like this has opened up a toilet-style debate, who'd have thought it!

Having discussed it with SWMBO we are going to try out the standard mooring lines option, tied off at the boat (plus tie wraps when left alone moored) and at least one mud weight on a chain on the 'offside'. Maybe when I'm at the car boot sale looking for old spanners for the RN I will run into a suitable big lump of metal as well! wink.png

Anybody know what would be a suitable size mud weight (or weights) for a 62ft'er?

Richard

Some of us are maybe just very lucky but in seven and a half years we have not been cast adrift or had ropes tampered with.

In our experience the boats we have seen that have been tampered with are the ones that have obviously been locked up and left. The ones with massive locks on the bow and stern doors and window boards/shutters.

Having discussed it with SWMBO we are going to try out the standard mooring lines option, tied off at the boat (plus tie wraps when left alone moored) and at least one mud weight on a chain on the 'offside'. Maybe when I'm at the car boot sale looking for old spanners for the RN I will run into a suitable big lump of metal as well! wink.png

I still think you're worrying about this too much. Take a look at other boats and count how many of those are tied up with additional mud weights and cable ties.

I still think you're worrying about this too much. Take a look at other boats and count how many of those are tied up with additional mud weights and cable ties.

Yes indeed, I see your point but even if going only by forum members who have commented, some have had experiences (or knowledge of instances) where a back-up system might have proved worthwhile. I would be foolish to not take those into account (whilst maintaining a balanced perspective of course) and it's not like I'm going to any great lengths. A few tie-wraps and a weight (or two) on a chain won't cost much and, like others have said, may just provide some added piece of mind when leaving the boat and heading home. I'm not worrying, just being a cautious newbie! :)

Richard

I agree! Plus, as mentioned above, boarded-up windows.

When I first owned a boat I was as cautious as the OP. The boat was small and shabby so a more likely target for for vandals than thieves.

I have had a single rope untied when I moored in an angler's favourite spot and, in a nearby carpark, two newish tyres punctured by a knife. In a small village, one break-in, fuel drained from my Land Rover, on two occasions a window smashed on my car, tyres deflated and in another village, one cheap (£250) car trashed by vandals. Eight incidents in 20 years but mostly to vehicles, not my boat.

Alan