Diesel & water Peak Forest + HNC ?

Emerald Fox

Featured Posts

Our Pearsons guides are not here with us - does anyone have a list of where we can get diesel (for the engine) and water (for the water tank) between Bugsworth - Standedge Tunnel? I read it's a good idea to have the water tank full for the tunnel, keeping the nose of the boat a bit lower. Just a 'dry run' pre-check before we get there in 6 weeks or so.

Safe mooring spot near Greenfield railway station?

Safe mooring spot near Marple railway station? Any idea if Marple Marina has mooring places for 2-4 days?

Fuel boat Alton for fuel

Full services top of bosley flight Macclesfiel

water point Crt boat yard on right not marked on maps

Full services Marple before junction water very slow

Full services Bugsworth

Full services Whaley Bridge lovely town but poor visitor moorings 7 days no short term 48 hr any more .

Then Marple

Leaving for next stretch tomorrow 16 locks first thing

Standedge Monday 25th .

also water and toilet block near 8W on the Huddersfield near CaRTs yard and if I remember correctly at Wool Road just before the Diggle flight

Alton should be doing their fortnightly run to Bugsworth over the bank holiday weekend so fuel and pumpout from them. They usually arrive Marple on the Sunday morning and travel up to Buggy by the Sunday night. Great couple Brian and Ann-Marie they do a great job up there.

Greenfield is pretty quiet, but getting in to the side can be a problem. Moor at Uppermill, it's only a ten minute walk. Railway at Greenfield is a cracking pub.

If you need to meet a train Stalybridge is handy tie up near the Tescos. Good bar on platform as well.

Edited by captain birdseye

Water etc at Bugsworth.

New Mills used to sell diesel, but with all the goings-on there, I don't know whether they still do..

The water at Marple is a little off your route.

Marple Marina? There is a club at Marple which may have spaces.

Both stations at Marple are quite a way from the canal.

Everything at Portland Basin - they are very helpful. They may have mooring space, in which case stations at Ashton or Guide Bridge.

Next water etc above Lock 8W on the HNC

I have moored just above Bridge 82 - probably the nearest mooring to Greenfield station, but Uppermill is not much further.

Water at Uppermill

Water etc at Dobcross.

You can fill up with water just before going into the tunnel at Diggle.

Marple station is about 200metres from lock 9 on Station(!) Road. Regularly used when on lock wheeling outings. Good train service to Manchester and local stations further along the Peak Forest- Romiley(change here for): Woodley, Hyde, Guide Bridge(Ashton Canal). I agree that Marple Rosehill is a fair walk from the canal

good chippy in Whaley bridge

Mac of Cygnet they have yet to travel the Maccy so thought I would give them heads up they are following me from South Oxford.

There is a marina at Greenfield.

Well....... Sort of! I don't know anyone who has managed to temporarily moor there.

Marple station is about 200metres from lock 9 on Station(!) Road

But you can't leave the boat there!

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

If you don't see Alton, then Furness Vale marina (Br. 31 Peak Forest.) has diesel & pumpout.

The last I heard, FV marina was only servicing its own boats.

ALWAYS contact Brian on Alton. Even if he is not up there he often does road runs to other locations and will do his best to fit you in.

George ex nb Alton retired

Well....... Sort of! I don't know anyone who has managed to temporarily moor there.

But the supports of the lift bridge are very convenient to moor to so as you can visit the pub.

Water etc at Bugsworth.

New Mills used to sell diesel, but with all the goings-on there, I don't know whether they still do..

The water at Marple is a little off your route.

Marple Marina? There is a club at Marple which may have spaces.

If you want to be near the station, then Whaley Bridge, Furness Vale and New Mills Newtown are all easier to walk to than Marple

The last I heard, FV marina was only servicing its own boats.

Had a pump-out there about 2 weeks ago although it wasn't easy to find someone to do it as there is no reception or shop - you have to ask for a girl in the office who then gets a man from the workshop.

New Mills has a shiny new pump-out machine.

Thanks all - copied to WORD for printing and taking with us. The Greenfield Marina I guess is 'Frenches Wharf' (?) - have already read things about it.

Will now zoom into Google maps and have a snuffle - we don't have the Manchester OS 1:50 000 Landranger map yet.

Just parking up a couple of times so we can make excursions, only 40-foot boat and no tight timetable (apart from deadline to Standedge Tunnel and we have 5 spare days to get there), want to be filled with fuel + water so we're ready for the tunnel.

If you don't see Alton, then Furness Vale marina (Br. 31 Peak Forest.) has diesel & pumpout.

Furness Vale Marina no longer offers these services, but New Mills does apart from Tuesday when they',re closed. Portland Basin does at bottom of Peak Forest

No mooring allowed in the Marple flight.

Sez who? I regularly see boats moored in the bottom half of the flight that have been there overnight. A very pleasant place to be of a nice evening.Rushing through from one end to the other you can't take the landscape in . There are some shorter pounds of the self draining variety where mooring would not be advisable. I have moored above lock 12 overnight, the downside there is the boat goes aground every time the lock is used. Between 4 and 5 is perhaps one of the best moorings on the system (and near the station!).

I expect the "No Mooring on the flight" comes from CRT and will be a bottom covering exercise to save them them actually having to fix leaky gates/walls/paddles any time soon- the team (of two)plus van ,generator , powered barrow and small equipment worked on the ground paddle at lock 3 all Friday morning, by lunch time they concluded that it was knackered and went away . I would guess it cost CRT around a grand for their confirmation of what passing boaters could have told them for nowt.

Thanks for all the mentions of Alton you kind folks :-).

Just to confirm we deliver fuels from Marple to Bugsworth & Whaley Bridge, usually every other Sunday. If you need supplies just give us a call or text on 07791345094.

Mooring are usually available within 5 mins boating of Marple Junction & from there it's within in 10/15 mins walk to the station.

Enjoy your journey along the HNC & PFC, they're both beautiful waterways & hopefully we'll see you on the cut.

Cheers, Brian

Sez who? I regularly see boats moored in the bottom half of the flight that have been there overnight. A very pleasant place to be of a nice evening.Rushing through from one end to the other you can't take the landscape in . There are some shorter pounds of the self draining variety where mooring would not be advisable. I have moored above lock 12 overnight, the downside there is the boat goes aground every time the lock is used. Between 4 and 5 is perhaps one of the best moorings on the system (and near the station!).

I expect the "No Mooring on the flight" comes from CRT and will be a bottom covering exercise to save them them actually having to fix leaky gates/walls/paddles any time soon

I think that it is actually from Nicholson's Guide, and represents "good advice" regarding the rise and fall of the short pounds, rather than a BW/.CRT rule

I expect the "No Mooring on the flight" comes from CRT and will be a bottom covering exercise to save them them actually having to fix leaky gates/walls/paddles any time soon- the team (of two)plus van ,generator , powered barrow and small equipment worked on the ground paddle at lock 3 all Friday morning, by lunch time they concluded that it was knackered and went away . I would guess it cost CRT around a grand for their confirmation of what passing boaters could have told them for nowt.

I 'm sure one of the best reasons for not mooriing in the short pounds is the grounding of boats when the lock below is filled. If 5 boats moored there for instance, they would displace a lock full of water that is no longer available to fill the lock below.