No more license disks

n.b.Goldie

Featured Posts

With the likely withdrawal of paper licences, I see a niche in the market for "novelty" paper licences similar to novelty car tax discs. We could have ones with "pumpout toilet" "continuos moorer" "VM Hogger" etc.

Or perhaps the boat with no. 501234 (for example) could just be called "boat 501234"- then you just need to write "boat" in the appropriate places.

Why bother with "boat", just give the boat the name "501234" and then display the licence plates in the window and you are sorted.

You could be classy and call your boat "Innominate" like Innominate Tarn in the Lakes.

Must admit, I really cannot understand the mindset of anyone who doesn't give their boat a name. Have they no romance in their soul at all?

You could be classy and call your boat "Innominate" like Innominate Tarn in the Lakes.

Must admit, I really cannot understand the mindset of anyone who doesn't give their boat a name. Have they no romance in their soul at all?

I have no soul

Neither can I.

I find the concept of naming boats a bit silly, I don't need to name my car. I also change my mind a lot so i know that if I chose a name I would end up changing my mind about it a few months later. My boat currently has the name it came with but I don't like it. My plan was to get rid of the name whenever it needs repainting.

Your car already has a name given it by the manufacturer

• 1 month later...

From today - online payment.

"Thank you for purchasing a long term boat licence. Two copies of this are printed below. Please fix one to each side of

your boat so that they can be clearly seen from the outside.

Please keep this document in a safe place.

If your details change, please be sure to let us know by updating your

information at

https://licensing.canalrivertrust.org.uk/or calling us on 0303 040 4040.

The terms and conditions for the licence are published at

www.canalrivertrust.org.uk/licenceterms. If you would like a paper

copy, please call us"

I have just renewed ours as well. The on-line system is new, and looks better than the old one and it looks like you can go in at any time to update details, like insurance when you renew it. For the licence you just download a pdf file from your account and print it off with 2 monochrome licences similar to the existing ones.

Ours are "Tilly" and "The Hampster"

The last one used to be "P.got", but Sadly that was only because no one could spell Peugeot.

My car already has a girl's name, thus saving the bother of coming up with another name for it.

The law stands, and if C&RT really wanted to ''make money" they could fine any wrongdoers £100 per day until the matter was corrected.

However - when you ask C&RT they state that they do not 'use' the boat name as there are so many duplicates that mis-identification would be easy. They solely use the Index number which must be, (at all times) readable with the naked eye at 20 yards.

I believe the EA use boat names as well as numbers and therefore insist that every boat has a unique name which must be displayed.

Surely it is not for CRT to see, it for other boaters who may need to sue for damage.