Can't get our engine to start!

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

Are you sure you've not got your M's and H's mixed up Lmc and heading for Harlow instead of Marlow ?. If so, I could check it out for you. But if you're sure your destination is Marlow and not Harlow, then I'll put me big hammer away.

Greenie from me mr bizzard cos you are all great at offering to help and its so loverly to know that should I break down someone somewhere will offer advice.

Wot this place all about.

• Greenie 1

Greenie from me mr bizzard cos you are all great at offering to help and its so loverly to know that should I break down someone somewhere will offer advice.

Wot this place all about.

Ooooh, thank you Princess Esmeralda. hug.gif

We are on the move! Mike I will drop you a pm later. I was right. Something wasn't connected. The starter motor. There was plenty of charge in the battery's just the wires had come off I suspect the guy was looking at it last night. We are off to Marlow having just had our worst lock experience. Will moor up in Marlow and hope the engine starts tomorrow! Thanks everyone. Definitely need a crash course in diesel mechanics.

When you get a chance, you should re-read this thread, make sure you know what all the terminology means, and then look at the advice that was given to you. Multiple people suggested that you check the starter and battery connections, and even suggested ways for you to do it.

I'm not trying to be critical. The thing is, this won't be the only time you have problems and if you turn to this forum for help. it would be handy if you understood what the people were telling you and you were able to act on their advice. If you don't understand the advice, ask for an explanation. Someone will explain to you in terms you understand exactly what they are talking about.

Glad to hear you are moving again!

• Greenie 1

When you get a chance, you should re-read this thread, make sure you know what all the terminology means, and then look at the advice that was given to you. Multiple people suggested that you check the starter and battery connections, and even suggested ways for you to do it.

I'm not trying to be critical. The thing is, this won't be the only time you have problems and if you turn to this forum for help. it would be handy if you understood what the people were telling you and you were able to act on their advice. If you don't understand the advice, ask for an explanation. Someone will explain to you in terms you understand exactly what they are talking about.

Glad to hear you are moving again!

Oh I certainly plan to. Very grateful to everyone for their help. Before yesterday I had no idea where these things even where so now I understanding a bit more I feel more confident and plan to take so time to learn.

We started up fine today and made it to Henley. Something is still a miss though, I suspect changing the fan belt is the first port of call.

Hi all

Same thing has happened to me. New to boating. Brought my boat back from Northampton to Leicestershire 2 weeks ago and all was well. Moored in a marina and first day of considering having a little trip today and engine won't start. Fully flat. Feeling scared about what I've taken on and my naivety. Leisure batteries seem to be charging a bit now but water pump and fridge not happy. I thought life on the water was meant to be relaxing. I guess the learning curve is still very steep!

Decided to have a glass of wine and reconsider tomorrow when local workshop is open!

Hi all

Same thing has happened to me. New to boating. Brought my boat back from Northampton to Leicestershire 2 weeks ago and all was well. Moored in a marina and first day of considering having a little trip today and engine won't start. Fully flat. Feeling scared about what I've taken on and my naivety. Leisure batteries seem to be charging a bit now but water pump and fridge not happy. I thought life on the water was meant to be relaxing. I guess the learning curve is still very steep!

Decided to have a glass of wine and reconsider tomorrow when local workshop is open!

Did you forget to turn off your starter battery after your trip?

Steve

Hi all

Have you had the fridge etc running for 2 weeks without charging the batteries ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Thats fine but I would rather you were closer to Marsh Lock than the Rowing Museum because there is a free car park up there and I will have less of a walk.

Moored fairly near to mill lane car pack, but no spaces today so I parked in Upton close!

Moored fairly near to mill lane car pack, but no spaces today so I parked in Upton close!

Please ring 01189874285 so we can arrange a time and you can tell me what you are still less than happy about. That way I can bring some tools. I would prefer earlier rather than later.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Ah Tony so sorry I didnt call, my data was used up.

We have made it to Reading luckily!

We now have electric hook up but I don't know how to get the telly to work. We have an inverter but not sure how it works and what setting etc. We tried turning it on and there came a high pitched noise and smoke from near the battery bank so turned everything off. Any tips or hints?

The engine has worked fine since the 2nd engineer came out so I think it was a case of a lose connection or something. So happy with that now.

my top tip is that you get someone to go over your boat with you and have them tell you and document how everything works before you either damage everything beyond repair or worse, put yourself at serious risk of harm. If you have a mains TV and you are on electric hookup you don't need an inverter, you run it off the mains. If you have a 12 Volt TV you run on the energy stored in your domestic batteries. You use an inverter to change the 12Volt output from your battery bank into 240 volts when you are not on hookup.

The high pitched noise and smoke probably means you've blown up your inverter.

Yeah I think that would be a good Idea. I thought it was a 12 volt tv but its got a mains plug.

How do we know if the mains power is working? We didn't have any power turned on when we turned on the inverter. The Internet searches aren't really giving me any useful info on how this side of things work.

You may have a switch to select between shore power or the inverter, if you have shore power connected then switch to the shore power position. You won't need to have the inverter switched on. You should then be able to plugs a mains power item and in and it work.

If you have electric hook up you shouldn't really switch on the inverter. We had our electrics overhauled late last year and thankfully we had not used a shoreline. If we had done we could well have caught fire as the connections were all mixed up.

The funny noise you got could have been too much power going to the inverter.

You should have a switch with a couple of positions, one for inverter,one for shore power.

Good idea getting someone to run through the boat with you. To be honest you missed a golden opportunity with Tony. There will be others willing to have a shufty.

Martyn

We have a switch with 0, 1 and 2 on it. so I guess we need to find out which one is the correct one.

Are you sure that isn't for selecting which battery is getting charged...? The shore power selected in my boat has a warning 240v label on, do you have anything with warning labels on for mains electric..?