Can't get our engine to start!

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

Maybe this should go elsewhere on the forum but this and at least one other recent thread made me wonder if there would be a use for a sort of "Trusted members who are happy to help" type area. My thoughts are (sorry about this mods) that those of us who are happy to offer free "on the spot" advice and help could submit our general location and probably an email or phone contact together with the area of expertise. The mods would then evaluate the claimed expertise against the persons posts and if the claim look reasonable it could be transferred to a public area. Thus boaters experiencing a problem would have a means of locating a member near to them who might be able to help.

I would not envisage members undertaking any actual repairs but more giving advice and possibly carrying out basic tests so if they are baffled the forum could be given some reliable and relevant symptoms. For instance a couple of years ago my alternator failed near Burton and I had a long walk to find a repairer. A phone call to a local member for the location and contact of the repairer would have been invaluable - a lift would have been even more welcome but certainly no expected.

The PM system would not work for contacts because of the minimum number of posts required.

As an example my entry might read:

Tony Brooks 01189874285 tony@tb-training.co.uk

Reading - Middle Thames Wallingford to Maidenhead & Eastern K&A from Newbury to Reading

Expertise 12/24 volt electrics, the mechanical systems, basic advice only on mains problems.

If this was adopted it would have to make clear in writing that absolutely no claim or responsibility for mishaps can be placed on the member offering assistance.

It would answer Patty-Ann's concern that she would be imposing on other members because we offered.

I look on it as helping the good go round so although there is no direct payback apart from knowing you helped another person I think you get repaid in other ways by other people.

Discuss and mods move to another place if necessary.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Maybe this should go elsewhere on the forum but this and at least one other recent thread made me wonder if there would be a use for a sort of "Trusted members who are happy to help" type area. My thoughts are (sorry about this mods) that those of us who are happy to offer free "on the spot" advice and help could submit our general location and probably an email or phone contact together with the area of expertise. The mods would then evaluate the claimed expertise against the persons posts and if the claim look reasonable it could be transferred to a public area. Thus boaters experiencing a problem would have a means of locating a member near to them who might be able to help.

I would not envisage members undertaking any actual repairs but more giving advice and possibly carrying out basic tests so if they are baffled the forum could be given some reliable and relevant symptoms. For instance a couple of years ago my alternator failed near Burton and I had a long walk to find a repairer. A phone call to a local member for the location and contact of the repairer would have been invaluable - a lift would have been even more welcome but certainly no expected.

The PM system would not work for contacts because of the minimum number of posts required.

Reading - Middle Thames Wallingford to Maidenhead & Eastern K&A from Newbury to Reading

Expertise 12/24 volt electrics, the mechanical systems, basic advice only on mains problems.

If this was adopted it would have to make clear in writing that absolutely no claim or responsibility for mishaps can be placed on the member offering assistance.

It would answer Patty-Ann's concern that she would be imposing on other members because we offered.

I look on it as helping the good go round so although there is no direct payback apart from knowing you helped another person I think you get repaid in other ways by other people.

What a very good idea Tony, not much call for tree and chainsaw safety advice but I would happily put my name up

What a very good idea Tony, not much call for tree and chainsaw safety advice but I would happily put my name up

No but you might get to a fallen tree before CaRT had even talked to their contractor. At least you would be safe, more than I suspect those who produce chain saws from their boats when such things happen.

Be wary of domestic and industrial electricians as they often haven't much of a clue with 12v stuff, even inverters. 12 or 24v and mains, Marine, boat, motor home, caravan, campervan electricians should be ok.

I was an electrician both domestic and Industrial and it is very true what Bizzard says, I could have spent all my time off working on cars and BIG boats. The local garage was so pleased to see me they never charged me for anything. I was rather an unusual member of the electric tribe.

I can help with and dog related issues plus i can teach you to strip and assemble a machine gun in under 60 seconds. I'm also a CBRN (NBC) Instructor and Battlefield Medic. If anyone needs my help I'd be happy to help.

I can help with and dog related issues plus i can teach you to strip and assemble a machine gun in under 60 seconds. I'm also a CBRN (NBC) Instructor and Battlefield Medic. If anyone needs my help I'd be happy to help.

I like it, the way the CRT 10 year strategy thread is going we will need that expertise. smile.png

I was a member of an aircooled VW forum that set up exactly this type of list of helpful people who would be happy to be called upon in an emergency. I'm not sure how long it lasted, but I helped a few people who got in contact that way. I helped many tens of others who posted on the forum though. In all cases, I made it clear I didn't want any payment other than a cup of tea. It just seemed good to pass on knowledge gained over many years, and often I fixed many bodges before they became issues on top. I always went away happy that the persons camper was a lot safer than when I arrived.

So, don't know all that much about boats yet (though gaining much experience through fixing issues on my boat!), but if your aircooled VW camper is broke, I might be able to help :)

My wife was always worried that I'd get sued if something broke after I left the campers I worked on, but that never happened. One does run the risk of being accused of something though, so you also need to figure out what sort of situation the owner of the vehicle is in, and make clear you are doing this as a favour, and that if you have any doubts or worries, voice them to the owner, and strongly suggest they seek the services of a professional. Problem with aircooled VW' s is that there are very few professionals, and a lot of garages who claim to be, but in fact are less than satisfactory.

Edited by FidoDido