Inverter Terminology

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

I have heard of PSW (Pure Sine Wave) Inverters

I have heard of MSW (Modified Sine Wave) Inverters

I have now come across a Stirling "Quasi Sine Wave' Inverter.

Any ideas where this fits into the 'wave form' ?

Will the wave-form power a 600w microwave, 900w Toaster, 1000w small electric oven, 700w George Forman Grill, 900w 'hoover', 250w drill, phone & lap-top chargers ? (not all at once !!!!)

I know that all except he microwave will run on my Victron PSW (1000w). I have not tried the microwave as it uses 1200w+ on start up.

(Yes - I know it takes lots of electrickery but 400ah battery bank and two 120A alternators seem to cope)

I think anything that uses an electronic controller tends to be fart more unpredictable whether it will or will not - suck it and see, usually.

Basic things that just produce heat will generally be fine, provided the inverter delivers at least enough watts.

Personally I have had no issues with any laptop supply on an MSW inverter, but from the other answers perhaps I've just been lucky?

We have had it reported that one can even destroy a charger for an electric toothbrush, so I think there are few definites about what is guaranteed to work

The MSW inverter on our new boat powers a basic mains driven central heating pump when not on the landline. It works, but buzzes like hell, which it does not do running from the mains. According to those we bought from the basic Candy washing machine (which we have removed) also made a lot of buzzing running on the MSW inverter, but would still perform OK. I've no idea if this shortens the life of what's being run, but I'd not be surprised if it did.

After several problems with the Sterling SB sine wave inverters (the first 3 were faulty enough to be exchanged, the 4th was only slightly faulty so they fixed it under guarantee then when I actually used it I discovered that there is a software bug that causes the noisy fan to switch on at low loads and then be unable to switch off) after testing Sterling agreed it was a bug and said they weren't weren't going to fix it so would I accept a quasi sine inverter in replacement.

The quasi sine ran our TV, microwave (with an electromechanical timer), hoover, toaster, hair dryer, and various phone and tablet chargers without any problems. However after 2 weeks the timer on our cooker died. This may have been coincidence but to take no chances (the cooker repair parts cost £80) I've bought a sine wave inverter from elsewhere to replace it.

If you would like to buy a Sterling 1800 watt quasi sine inverter, complete with remote control and only been used for 2 weeks, at a good price send me a PM and make me an offer before it goes on eBay.

BTW another bug with Sterling's SB sine wave inverters is that apparently the overload protection will guard against a short circuit but will allow an intermediate overload to destroy the inverter.

Thanks everyone.

Its on a boat we are looking at, and I'm costing out what needs to be replaced / updated / removed etc etc.

It is fitted with a microwave, 1kw immersion heater (& other stuff) but the boat has virtually only ever been used on shorepower.

Built in 2002 it has only 96 hours on one engine and 94 hours on the other.

It has a Victron 50 amp battery charger, but I reckon I need to budget for a 'quality' inverter.

Thanks everyone.

Its on a boat we are looking at, and I'm costing out what needs to be replaced / updated / removed etc etc.

It is fitted with a microwave, 1kw immersion heater (& other stuff) but the boat has virtually only ever been used on shorepower.

Built in 2002 it has only 96 hours on one engine and 94 hours on the other.

It has a Victron 50 amp battery charger, but I reckon I need to budget for a 'quality' inverter.

Who makes quality inverters? I will be needing one soon. Have gooled but who do you believe lol.

Who makes quality inverters? I will be needing one soon. Have gooled but who do you believe lol.

There have been numerous discussions and videos of 'cheap' inverters and the problems they pose. I realise that 'marine' in the name gives opportunity of paying 'rip-off' prices, but, there is an element of get what you pay for.

Cheap & Cheerful from China - no come back when your boat catches fire.

Quality brand (in my opinion) = Victron

Example :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/281074265251?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Ultimately good inverters are sine wave but the cheapest build technique produces a square wave. The maker will know how close to a pure sine wave the output is, but I doubt there is a published specification. Using a power tool (drill etc) from an inverter is hazardous as the stall current of a motor is always more than the run current. Yes I'd seek the maker's advice and fit some over current protection specifically to protect the inverter.

I have heard of PSW (Pure Sine Wave) Inverters

I have heard of MSW (Modified Sine Wave) Inverters

I have now come across a Stirling "Quasi Sine Wave' Inverter.

Any ideas where this fits into the 'wave form' ?

Will the wave-form power a 600w microwave, 900w Toaster, 1000w small electric oven, 700w George Forman Grill, 900w 'hoover', 250w drill, phone & lap-top chargers ? (not all at once !!!!)

I have a Sterling Modified Sine wave inverter which I assume is the same thing.

In my experience (depending on the output of the inverter) then - Microwave: not very well; Toaster: yes; Electric oven: why would anyone use their batteries to power an oven? George Foreman grill: ditto; Drill: yes; Chargers: yes.

After several problems with the Sterling SB sine wave inverters (the first 3 were faulty enough to be exchanged, the 4th was only slightly faulty so they fixed it under guarantee then when I actually used it I discovered that there is a software bug that causes the noisy fan to switch on at low loads and then be unable to switch off) after testing Sterling agreed it was a bug and said they weren't weren't going to fix it so would I accept a quasi sine inverter in replacement.

The quasi sine ran our TV, microwave (with an electromechanical timer), hoover, toaster, hair dryer, and various phone and tablet chargers without any problems. However after 2 weeks the timer on our cooker died. This may have been coincidence but to take no chances (the cooker repair parts cost £80) I've bought a sine wave inverter from elsewhere to replace it.

If you would like to buy a Sterling 1800 watt quasi sine inverter, complete with remote control and only been used for 2 weeks, at a good price send me a PM and make me an offer before it goes on eBay.

BTW another bug with Sterling's SB sine wave inverters is that apparently the overload protection will guard against a short circuit but will allow an intermediate overload to destroy the inverter.

I've had no problem with mine (same model) over the last 10 years.

Edited by blackrose

Electric oven: why would anyone use their batteries to power an oven? George Foreman grill: ditto; Drill: yes; Chargers: yes.

The oven is only 900w and comfortably runs off the inverter - the batteries are fully charged by mid morning Solar + Engine (cruising)

When the oven is on the alternator provides most of the electricity and very soon makes up the shortfall on the afternoon cruising hours.

The electricity produced is therefore almost free (slight extra load on the engine) so can pop something in for half a hour for lunch..

The George Forman is 600w - ditto. Being diabetic with high cholesterol I need to keep the fats 'down' the George is quick easy and cleaner than using the gas grill, and one does have to have their bacon-butties for 11's, doesn't one ?

We have only been using 1 gas bottle (13kg) per year.