Never a dull moment on the GU

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

So we had just finished dinner and were having coffee & dessert when we heard a boat approaching, as we quite often do we looked out the window to give a wave and what passed by was quite surprising....

a fairly long narrow boat "Ocean Princess" with a small tug style bow, blue in colour, much like the Wyven Blue, I turned around just in time to see there was no one at the tiller and went to the cratch to give them a shout as it was heading for the four moored boats behind us. That's when we seen it was actually towing a very large barge; the only way I can describe it is it's what you see a fair amount of on the non-tidal Thames and a few CRT work crews have them with supplies loaded on top. It has a flat deck, with large dollies along the sides, back and front.

The boat made passed the boats behind us without issue and made the turn beyond that, so there was obviously someone steering the boat from the interior as there was still no one at the tiller when we lost sight of it.

Sorry no pics - I was too muffled to think to grab either my phone or camera

Every day a new sight clapping.gif

Possibly the Ocean Princess that went to sea in,I think, 2003/4. We saw it going West to East on the K and A.

The towing bit I know nowt about.

If there was a "prize" you'd have won it :)

Just looked it up and yes it was indeed that boat, and it's described as having dual steering from both fore and aft....

Do they not realize the scare they give people who don't know about such things LOL

Live and learn I guess

If there was a "prize" you'd have won it smile.png

Just looked it up and yes it was indeed that boat, and it's described as having dual steering from both fore and aft....

Do they not realize the scare they give people who don't know about such things LOL

Live and learn I guess

I understand from what I heard that the chaps at the Thames Barrage were not over impressed when they saw a Narrowboat go by with no one driving

If there was a "prize" you'd have won it smile.png

Live and learn I guess

They seem to make a point of steering from inside with all lights out when they go through Blisworth or Braunston tunnels.

Now that is fairly unnerving to pass, if you don't know!

Oh Alan, I can only imagine.

It scared the daylights out of me; I was just about to ask Dave to run down the towpath after it, to see if he could get the attention of the person inside, thinking the helmsman must have popped below for a quick loo visit, but that's when it became obvious that somehow someone was actually in control of the boat. Even though the back doors were wide open with no one at the tiller.

Oh well, yet another story to tell my non boaty friends some of whom some think we are mad to live on a boat in the first place :)

Burnajem is the closest I can get to spelling the way they say it. Then again, I know people from Dudlay....

Mrs is Black Country and she says it's "Dudloy".

Pronouncing Black Country words

The following words are very prominent in the north of the Black Country including (Walsall, Dudley, Willenhall, Bloxwich, Wolverhampton, Great Barr, Sandwell, West Bromwich).

• "Yaw" = "You"
  • "Yam" = "You are"
  • "Am" = "Are"
  • "Arm" = "I'm"
  • "Bin" = "Been"
  • "Gewin" or "Gooin" = "Going"
  • "Thay" = "They"
  • "Oss" = "Horse"
  • "Tekkin" = "Taking"
  • "Cut" = "Canal"
  • "Ay" = "Aint"
  • "Ova" = "Over"
  • "Cud" = "Could"
  • "Warra" = "What a"
  • "Wossant" = "Wasn't"
  • "Blartin" = "Crying"
  • "Babbie" or "Babby" = "Baby"
  • "Me" = "My"
  • "Kaylied" = "Drunk"
  • "Arl" = "I'll"
  • "Dow" = "Don't"
  • "Tat" = "Junk"
  • "Tatting" = "Collecting scrap metal"
  • "Werk" = "Work"
  • "Loff" = "Laugh"
  • "Yed" = "Head"
  • "Jed" = "Dead"
Edited by Ray T

Look this is a thread about a boat with no one at the tiller, if you insist on keep talking about the right names for things and places I will ask Dean to lock the thread for being off topic,cloud9.gif

Yeh, but if no one is at the tiller they may be Jed.

The Black Country dialect is totally off topic, not least because it's not on the GU, but definitely fun. I'm much enjoying the new comedy series Raised By Wolves which has been on TV lately, though I do have to listen carefully to follow some of the dialogue. There is something intrinsically funny about that accent, but there are probably people who think the same about Sarf London.