changing boat name

isatis

Featured Posts

Well first you need to find a virgin who is willing to be sacrificed...

I looked on C&rts website there was no form or anything ...do i just phone them and tell them can it be that simple???

I wonder if our youngest daughter (13) would be interested in this particular job

That may not be allowed. In the interests of equality you will need to check with your Local Authority whether the next sacrifice has to be female or male.

Chirk marina having an over haul internally

Ah that had not crossed my mind well i could spare the fifteen year old

Be safe use both.

Bod

So, we painted out the old name, then we respected a number of boaty superstitions. I bashed a bottle of brown ale over the front pointy bit, sodding smell and glass everywhere! Then I hired a vicar to create a naming ceremony, expensive and he drank all the wine. I then asked the local witch to provide her help, she was very horny and the missus hit her over the head with the other bottle of brown. I then hired a drunken sign writer and he named the boat squiggle or summit. I then over painted it myself and just created another squiggle. Finally, I changed the name through CART and that was it. I now have a boat that resembles a painting disaster and needs a full repaint, but it is now called "A"

Edited by NB Lola

After re naming, before you set sail, a bottle of Newcastle Brown needs pouring over the bow along with something like I rename this boat etc......

16533405877_cf8911a36c_z.jpg

With deference to the post above Mrs T didn't bash the bottle of Newkey Brown over the bow as it would have damaged the new paint job.

Edited by Ray T

Not sure. It might have been simply RMS BIG because they were getting short of white paint.. I think it had two sister ships, Britannic and Olympic.

Ethel was very popular 80 years ago. closedeyes.gif

Still is. Her full name is Ethel Alcohol.

I'm with MJG - I took a sanding disc to the FOUR places on the boat the naff name was painted then undercoated/painted in the body colour - seemples! Nice local firm provided and fitted stick on panels with the new name. Rang BW and notified them of the name change. Received next licence renewal in the old name. Hey-ho! All sorted now!

It would be interesting to see just what you could get away with.

A bit like that fella who tried to change his online banking password to barclaysiscrap, only to be told it was innapropriate. He even tried Natwestisbetter only to be knocked back.

I'm not honestly advocating folks cruising around with names such as charity begins with working facilities... You get the idea and, but it would. Be fun to push ones luck for a bit of a jape.

It is important to tell CRT as soon as you change the name, don't wait until you next license it. The reason is the name on your license disc will differ from the name on your boat and it can cause eyebrows to be raised at manned locks etc when they check.

It is also important to tell your insurance company because they will do anything to try and get out of paying out in the event of things going wrong

The idea that it is unlucky to rename a boat comes from times long past when ships had their name engraved into the stem. If you were to shance the name then they would have to remove enough wood lose the old name then engrave the new name in it's place. As you can imagine if you did this a few times the lump of wood would get smaller and be less capable of bearing load, hence potentially compromising the integrity of the vessel.

Don't go too hard with the 80 grit when you sand off the old name and you should not encounter any bad luck!

When we renamed our boat we followed tradition/superstition just for the fun of it. We got our signwriter to write the old name on a paper boat which we launched on the cut while reciting a little poem (I can't remember it now but it will be available on Google somewhere) before wasting a perfectly good bottle of Guiness by tipping it over the bow of our boat. The paper boat was not very well designed and promptly turned tutle and sank!

Oh...just do it. We did. However the number of Usual Suspects and Clique Members sacrificed at the initiation ceremony remains a closely guarded secret.

BTW...from CRT website:

Change of details

The licence is specific to the boat and to you so it is important that you notify us if anything changes.

We can take change of home address information by telephone, but if you change the name of the boat, if your home mooring changes, or if you sell or give the boat to someone else you must let us know in writing. You should include details of any changed names, addresses or telephone numbers. We will record any change to the name of the boat, so that the next licence issued carries the new name. We will not issue new licence discs before the current licence expires unless you specifically request this (a £20 charge applies for the replacement).

I have always understood that the name of a boat is unimportant on BW/CaRT waters, as they only use the unique index number for any reference. The name is important on EA waters (and possibly other river authiorities), because the boat's name is used for reference, and has to be unique to that Authority,

Our boat has been re-named twice, but only once by us. When we did it, we did not advise BW at the time, but changed it on the licence renewal form, which seemed to be OK.

My eldest (in the Australian Armed Forces) renamed their boat and this is the ceremony that they used.

Boat Renaming Ceremony - Begin by again calling Poseidon as follows:

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (Here insert the new name you have chosen), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm.

In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (At this point, one bottle of Champagne, less one glass for the master and one glass for the mate are poured into the sea from West to East.)

The next step in the renaming ceremony is to appease the gods of the winds. This will assure you of fair winds and smooth seas. Because the four winds are brothers, it is permissible to invoke them all at the same time, however, during the ceremony; you must address each by name.

ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs.

(Facing north, pour a generous libation of Champagne into a Champagne flute and fling to the North as you intone:) Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.

(Facing west, pour the same amount of Champagne and fling to the West while intoning:) Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath.

(Facing east, repeat and fling to the East.) Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath.

(Facing south, repeat, flinging to the South.) Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath.

Of course, any champagne remaining will be the beginnings of a suitable celebration in honor of the occasion.

Once the ceremony has been completed, you may bring aboard any and all items bearing the new name of your vessel. If you must schedule the painting of the new name on the transom before the ceremony, be sure the name is not revealed before the ceremony is finished. It may be covered with bunting or some other suitable material.

Took some time and several bottles of champers but they are happy that its been done right ;)

Their new boat name.......

A Salt Weapon

My eldest (in the Australian Armed Forces) renamed their boat and this is the ceremony that they used.

Boat Renaming Ceremony - Begin by again calling Poseidon as follows:

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (Here insert the new name you have chosen), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm.

In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (At this point, one bottle of Champagne, less one glass for the master and one glass for the mate are poured into the sea from West to East.)

The next step in the renaming ceremony is to appease the gods of the winds. This will assure you of fair winds and smooth seas. Because the four winds are brothers, it is permissible to invoke them all at the same time, however, during the ceremony; you must address each by name.

ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs.

(Facing north, pour a generous libation of Champagne into a Champagne flute and fling to the North as you intone:) Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.

(Facing west, pour the same amount of Champagne and fling to the West while intoning:) Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath.

(Facing east, repeat and fling to the East.) Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath.

(Facing south, repeat, flinging to the South.) Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath.

Of course, any champagne remaining will be the beginnings of a suitable celebration in honor of the occasion.

Once the ceremony has been completed, you may bring aboard any and all items bearing the new name of your vessel. If you must schedule the painting of the new name on the transom before the ceremony, be sure the name is not revealed before the ceremony is finished. It may be covered with bunting or some other suitable material.

Took some time and several bottles of champers but they are happy that its been done right ;)

Their new boat name.......

A Salt Weapon

If using this intonation for a canal boat, perhaps it would be better to replace Poseidon with the Duke of Bridgewater?

Remember that short names are cheaper. Mine's only 4 characters and yet it is unique.

Nice one! Same reason we went for a five-letter name, and when we changed it we didn't observe any of the superstitious nonsense, just told BW (as it then was).

Poseidon has no jurisdiction over canals - they aren't part of the oceans.

using Canal plan 15 other people have copied my boat name

I like the idea of only one name to be used but its not workable the unique identifier is registration number .

Name being already used on the thames is not a valid illegal reason

Not having a licence Gold or Thames is

Not having registration number ?

Anchor ?

Navigation lights ?

using Canal plan 15 other people have copied my boat name

I like the idea of only one name to be used but its not workable the unique identifier is registration number .

Name being already used on the thames is not a valid illegal reason

Not having a licence Gold or Thames is

Not having registration number ?

Anchor ?

Navigation lights ?

Nope

:)