Midlands Moorings

gary955

Featured Posts

It seems possible that I'll working in Wolverhampton for a bit. My home is in Bristol so just a little to far for a daily commute.

When I first started working in Bristol my home was in Southampton and I used to stay on my narrowboat during the week to avoid a similarly long commute.

It seems to make sense to do the same again, so I'm looking for recommendations for a nice marina within about half an hours drive of Wolverhampton (preferably south of Wolverhampton for obvious reasons) Staying there three of four nights a week I'd like it to be a nice friendly place with a sense of community so that I don't get too lonely, and in a nice secure area so that I don't have to worry about the boat while I'm away. Access to interesting cruising would be the icing on the cake. I've loved the K&A but it will be nice to see some different canals.

It seems possible that I'll working in Wolverhampton for a bit. My home is in Bristol so just a little to far for a daily commute.

When I first started working in Bristol my home was in Southampton and I used to stay on my narrowboat during the week to avoid a similarly long commute.

It seems to make sense to do the same again, so I'm looking for recommendations for a nice marina within about half an hours drive of Wolverhampton (preferably south of Wolverhampton for obvious reasons) Staying there three of four nights a week I'd like it to be a nice friendly place with a sense of community so that I don't get too lonely, and in a nice secure area so that I don't have to worry about the boat while I'm away. Access to interesting cruising would be the icing on the cake. I've loved the K&A but it will be nice to see some different canals.

Ashwood marina would seem to suit your spec being not far south of Wolverhampton

http://www.ashwoodmarina.co.uk/

Tim

Isn't ashwood the one that is dominated by overhead power lines? I don't mind power lines within reason, but theirs go right overhead along the marina. I think I would spend my time there wondering what would happen if a line came down...

How about Coombeswood canal trust at the end of Dudley #2, but no idea if they have spare capacity (probably not, tbh), or Whithymoor Island nearby (ditto).

Edited by nicknorman

Isn't ashwood the one that is dominated by overhead power lines? I don't mind power lines within reason, but theirs go right overhead along the marina. I think I would spend my time there wondering what would happen if a line came down...

Fusilade of rivets popping off......

Free shore power?

A big bang and flash and assuming the protection is working after that nothing, although depending on how the protection is set up it could be upto 5 big bangs with associated flash

How big the bang and flash will be will depend on voltage of cause.

All of the above of course do not take into account the damage caused by the afformentiond bang in the first place

:-)

smiley_offtopic.gif Change leds to fluorescent tubes when under Power lines and get free light .

Pillings is also under power lines probably other marinas too.

I suppose that kitchen foil caps may stop brain frazzle but I would worry about health if living there.

Aston Marina near Stone on the T&M , it is north of Wolverhampton but it is a cracking marina with every facility and excellent security.

About 10 mins drive to the M6 or if you prefer the train takes between 30-40 mins.

Stone is a really nice little town, good shops, chandlers and boat services available.

Ken

Aston Marina near Stone on the T&M , it is north of Wolverhampton but it is a cracking marina with every facility and excellent security.

About 10 mins drive to the M6 or if you prefer the train takes between 30-40 mins.

Stone is a really nice little town, good shops, chandlers and boat services available.

Ken

As an ex-moorer at Aston (thus with no axe to grind) I can confirm that it is an excellent marina with very helpful staff.

Good security but I didn't find a huge sense of community. Services are aimed largely at a non-boating market (Bistro, Farm shop, Weddings etc).

Everybody seems friendly (not that I'm very gregarious at the best of times).

From a commuting perspective (both into Wolvo and back down to Bristol) somewhere north of W'ton may be your best bet. Straight down the A449 Stafford Road into town for your daily commute and close to the M6 then M5 for Bristol. Others have mentioned Penkridge which would be good for this, and you are out of the built up area. I can't comment on Otherton Marina though as I've never stopped there.